Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It's a moot point there, but this Conservative view of Black voters reaches the national level. Even Mitt Romney referred to it in a stump after visiting an NAACP event, claiming a full conference-worth of Black students and professionals were begging for handouts.
It's like some type of mantra that plays in their head. At one time (maybe 1978) in some locations (for example Detroit and Newark just to throw something out there), some aspiring politician on the campaign trail might have talked about increasing the number of section 8 vouchers given out or fighting for a cost-of-living increase raise to food stamps. Those in attendance roared with a loud cheer! A few local single mothers with multiple-children were put in front of the mic and yelled "dat's what I'm talkin' bout!"
That image has never left some White people's head. It replays over and over and over in their minds ike a bad case of PTSD.

Whatever the case, these certain White people are hypersensitive that Black people are getting or will be getting something from the govt that they 1) don't deserve and/or 2) is somehow taking something from White people cupboards and children's mouths. This type of thinking has been around since the Civil Right Act was passed. This thinking borders on a severe case of a psychotic obsessive-paranoia disorder.

For a people who make up close to 70% of the total population, make up the overwhelming majority of the workforce in all industries, banking, educational and religious institutions, and have NEVER historically been oppressed in this country longer than one generation, who can make sense of their hyper-vigilance about what "scraps" (even they admit it's only the scraps") that some part of 13% of the population may or may not be getting in the way of assistance from the gov't.

* This is not a sweeping indictment against all Whites, just those for whom the shoe fits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Yes 41.6% does translate into a lot of Black people on public assistance but apparently you failed math early on in your primary and secondary education. 100% - 41.6% = 58.4%.

58.4% is larger than 41.6%. In fourth grade, you would have seen it written like this: 58.4% > 41.6%.

So the poster you're attempting to argue against is right: The MAJORITY OF BLACKS, 58.4%, according to the stats that you posted ARE NOT ON PUBLIC ASSISTANCE.

Maybe it would help if you got a dollar worth of pennies, counted 41 of them and place them behind your back, then counted what is left in front of you. See, there are more pennies in front of you than what you placed behind your back, right? That's pretty much how numbers work. Math can be fun...unless you went to the same elementary & middle school as Trump. Then all bets are off as to just what in the world you were taught.
Furthermore, how many of those persons benefiting from public assistance are children? And how long do said persons stay in public assistance? And as I've mentioned in an earlier post, many who are on some form of public assistance have jobs. They are known as the working poor.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter_sucks View Post
somehow the gop does their homework and keeps finding these guys.
lolol.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:47 PM

Default Blacks weren't railroaded out of construction in NOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Those construction jobs aren't in the country, they are in big cities like LA, San Fran, NYC, New Orleans. Blacks got flat rail roaded out of construction jobs in NO after the hurricane.
I noticed that you didn't disagree that the illegal immigration problem on jobs could be ended tomorrow by the gov't if the govt really wanted to end it.

Were Blacks even doing construction in large number in New Orleans before the hurricane? I doubt it. As a woman, I went down there afterward to help in anyway that I could and I met and saw only a few BM doing rebuilding work. You're trying to create Black anomosity towards Latinos/Hispanics. The truth of the matter is legal or illegal, Latinos/Hispanics will do the jobs that Blacks won't do, will show up consistently/reliably, and do it with minimum lip or complaints. Yes, they do undercut legitimate salaries and that is not good but even when the carpentry jobs pay well in majority Black areas, there are not many BM to fill them.

Unlike Black men of earlier decades who worked on railroads, road, highways, and building structures in the heat and hot sun, most BM of current generations of present day know next to nothing about working with their hands or constructing anything and not interested in learning.

Also, the majority wouldn't even attempt to work in construction for several reasons. One of them is that they have been allowed to grow up thinking hard, physical labor like construction work is beneath them even when said person doesn't have any other marketable skills in anything in which they can make a decent living and raise a family. Nor will said persons attend trade school/college and seriouly apply themselves to obtain some other viable career.

BTW, New Orleans isn't the only city, all those states the poster mentioned has some large cities: TX, FL, and AZ. If they wanted to find construction work, they could. They don't want it.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 PM

78,418 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Those 6 million laborers aren't taking black jobs or forcing wages down .

So in short , Dems aren't p**ing down anyone 's back
Your ignorance of absolutely accepted science is duly noted.

In magical dsjj land, supply and demand don't work....just like things getting warmer is due to gays or lying fake news.

You're absolutely stating that more supply does not affect demand and thus the wages needed to attract workers. Sigh.

Last edited by Mathguy; 09-14-2018 at 10:00 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
It's like some type of mantra that plays in their head. At one time (maybe 1978) in some locations (for example Detroit and Newark just to throw something out there), some aspiring politician on the campaign trail might have talked about increasing the number of section 8 vouchers given out or fighting for a cost-of-living increase raise to food stamps. Those in attendance roared with a loud cheer! A few local single mothers with multiple-children were put in front of the mic and yelled "dat's what I'm talkin' bout!"
That image has never left some White people's head. It replays over and over and over in their minds ike a bad case of PTSD.
Sounds alot like that woman who said "Obama's gonna pay my bills". Someone puts her front and center, and it is just bizarre. This is what some people think of when they think of someone who voted for Obama.

Quote:
Whatever the case, these certain White people are hypersensitive that Black people are getting or will be getting something from the govt that they 1) don't deserve and/or 2) is somehow taking something from White people cupboards and children's mouths. This type of thinking has been around since the Civil Right Act was passed. This thinking borders on a severe case of a psychotic obsessive-paranoia disorder.
This kind of thinking has been around BEFORE any kind of welfare state ever took place. It dates back to the Reconstruction period. There was alot of opposition to the Freedman's Bureau. There was always that fear of the "lazy Black man". This is especially ironic considering that Blacks had only been a short time out of slavery. There have been those who felt that Blacks were never deserving of the same rights and dignity as everyone else in America.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/08/r...lack-suffrage/

I watched the miniseries "Queen". I remember a scene where the KKK was holding a meeting and say of Black people "they take food from your mouths". This pretty much sums up that said mentality has been around for a long time.

Quote:
For a people who make up close to 70% of the total population, make up the overwhelming majority of the workforce in all industries, banking, educational and religious institutions, and have NEVER historically been oppressed in this country longer than one generation, who can make sense of their hyper-vigilance about what "scraps" (even they admit it's only the scraps") that some part of 13% of the population may or may not be getting in the way of assistance from the gov't.

* This is not a sweeping indictment against all Whites, just those for whom the shoe fits.
I think this goes back to competition. It is easy to convince others "they will take from you" or "you're in competition with them".

Old 09-14-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Not a denial at all, an observation.

If wages are indeed being lowered because someone is paying illegals, that sounds like the governments and employers fault to me, does it not to you ?

Conservatives who control states like Texas, Arizona, Florida and so on could sweep through tomorrow and end that problem by simply enforcibg laws already on the books, but won't

Do you disagree ?
Your other post said they had no impact so according to you that wouldn't change anything. Just that no one would do those jobs.

I'm not trying to beat you up and I don't even agree with the conservatives on this one (i'd prefer a guest worker program like Canada has), but in a thread talking about hard science? More laborers = lower wages is absolutely established fact. Disagreeing with that is wayyyyy off into alex jones crazyland.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Blacks bloc vote for the free stuff party. You don’t have to say anything.
That's idiotic.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I noticed that you didn't disagree that the illegal immigration problem on jobs could be ended tomorrow by the gov't if the govt really wanted to end it.

Were Blacks even doing construction in large number in New Orleans before the hurricane? I doubt it. As a woman, I went down there afterward to help in anyway that I could and I met and saw only a few BM doing rebuilding work. You're trying to create Black anomosity towards Latinos/Hispanics. The truth of the matter is legal or illegal, Latinos/Hispanics will do the jobs that Blacks won't do, will show up consistently/reliably, and do it with minimum lip or complaints. Yes, they do undercut legitimate salaries and that is not good but even when the carpentry jobs pay well in majority Black areas, there are not many BM to fill them.

Unlike Black men of earlier decades who worked on railroads, road, highways, and building structures in the heat and hot sun, most BM of current generations of present day know next to nothing about working with their hands or constructing anything and not interested in learning.

Also, the majority wouldn't even attempt to work in construction for several reasons. One of them is that they have been allowed to grow up thinking hard, physical labor like construction work is beneath them even when said person doesn't have any other marketable skills in anything in which they can make a decent living and raise a family. Nor will said persons attend trade school/college and seriouly apply themselves to obtain some other viable career.

BTW, New Orleans isn't the only city, all those states the poster mentioned has some large cities: TX, FL, and AZ. If they wanted to find construction work, they could. They don't want it.
I disagree with some of this.

I don't know what goes on in New Orleans, but where I live, I've seen some Black people in a sizable presence in construction, at least in the city of Atlanta. Alot of suburban areas I don't see this nearly as much. I've seen more Hispanic laborers. In some cases there are Blacks who won't do that labor, but there are still Black people who will do that labor.

I went online to look up construction jobs. Alot of those jobs require drivers licenses, and some construction experience. I suspect with New Orleans, there are many Blacks who have neither a drivers license or the experience in construction.

Something else. Where I live I see alot of Black people in certain manual labor positions, just not well-represented in construction. And I don't think it is only Black people looking down on physical labor. Alot of Americans raised in middle class households do not want to do this for a living.

And one more thing. I suspect there are some employers who view Black people as "difficult to deal with" and would rather not hire Blacks. There are no "no Blacks need apply" signs, but some people will discriminate.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

You don't see a direct correlation here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies