Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 09:13 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How do you know? She didn't speak any English on the video. I would have just left as opposed to argue about it.

The rude employee had to know how to speak English because she gave answers to questions that were posed to her in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
The area, from what I have read, is almost all Hispanics/Spanish speakers. So this incident is not too surprising to me, this is a Hispanic area.
No that area is 100% United States of America...

Old 09-16-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afp View Post
[/b]

some people just don't have sense and argue about anything. She told her she didn't speak english and people in that neighborhood probably mostly speak spanish i'd be annoyed but wouldn't stick around if i didn't speak the language. It's not as uncommon as people think i've ordered food numerous times in the usa were the person behind the counter didn't speak english. Sure they should speak english but it's pretty damn stupid tbh to go to an ethnic neighborhood and stir a fuss that's a good way to get your ass kicked.
lol.....

Old 09-16-2018, 09:44 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I was wondering if she was Cuban. I only know enough about south Florida to assume. Having said that, I live in Texas and many of our fast food workers are new English learners from various Spanish speaking countries, and they are able to take a basic order in a drive through.

Hmm, new English learners who only speak Spanish? Sounds like illegal aliens to me.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:55 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Hmmm. Briebert is the one that posted this? Then this story is all political. They are trying to cause a divide now between the African American community with the Hispanic community, and you want to know why? Briebart is right leaning. Ron DeSantis is the Republican nominee for Florida governor, and his running mate has deep roots in the Hispanic communities, while the Democrat nominee for Florida governor is African American, and he chose a rich white billionaire for his running mate. This story is designed to cause the Hispanics in Florida to start hating on the African Americans, and in turn, hope to get them to not vote for Gillium, but instead vote for DeSantis and Nunez. And mind you, this strategy could work because the Hispanic community easily outnumbers the African American community. I'm even seeing Black Jamaicans and Haitians identifying more with the Hispanics than they do with African Americans.
One way you could help us out is not lumping us in as one entity. It's just a political tool for votes. We all need to start thinking as one and not buy into the political stereotypes. Hispanic folks don't love all black people and black folks don't love all Hispanics because it's the pc thing to do. Trust me on this.

It doesn't matter if they were black customers or not. They were refused service because they spoke English in America but that's not really the reason. The girl could clearly understand English, I think her point was this is our little country inside your country, so we only serve our kind here. This is the problem when immigrants don't assimilate. They simply move mini countries inside America and utilize services without giving back to our society.

Other countries are starting to have our problems. In Sweden, you can't go into certain areas if you are not an immigrant or refugee. They won't serve you, and worse yet they may start picking on you until you get out. The police will not guarantee your safety there either. My friend who is Swedish says they just avoid the area.

Assimilation needs more attention paid to it. It's really important for the fabric of the said country. I go into China town and it's as if I'm in China, seriously, I can't tell the difference. I love it actually, but, they don't refuse to serve me there. When they start refusing service, then that becomes a problem.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Ah, so the truth comes out! Just as I have been saying for years. Native Spanish speakers don't and won't speak English unless they have to. This employee should have in this incident but took it one step further and refused to.
I work in construction and the Hispanic workers quite often use this excuse to avoid talking to people, but when the homeowner leaves they're all talking in English just fine. That employee was just claiming her territory.

Translated: Look Bit*h, this is our hood, Adios!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:18 AM

2,180 posts, read 639,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta

Other countries are starting to have our problems. In Sweden, you can't go into certain areas if you are not an immigrant or refugee. They won't serve you, and worse yet they may start picking on you until you get out. The police will not guarantee your safety there either. My friend who is Swedish says they just avoid the area.

Assimilation needs more attention paid to it. It's really important for the fabric of the said country. I go into China town and it's as if I'm in China, seriously, I can't tell the difference. I love it actually, but, they don't refuse to serve me there. When they start refusing service, then that becomes a problem.

Maybe you should be more active in threads about Europe where Europeans are denying this sort of thing happens and that it's all sunshine and rainbows with everyone joining hands and drinking Coke together 24/7 in Europe.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:22 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
One way you could help us out is not lumping us in as one entity. It's just a political tool for votes. We all need to start thinking as one and not buy into the political stereotypes. Hispanic folks don't love all black people and black folks don't love all Hispanics because it's the pc thing to do. Trust me on this.

It doesn't matter if they were black customers or not. They were refused service because they spoke English in America but that's not really the reason. The girl could clearly understand English, I think her point was this is our little country inside your country, so we only serve our kind here. This is the problem when immigrants don't assimilate. They simply move mini countries inside America and utilize services without giving back to our society.

The bolded above is exactly what my first impression was. 'Your kind isn't welcome here' is what I felt she was saying.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:21 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
There is almost always a difference between what is and what should be.

I have been in areas of the USA where the community is definitely Spanish-speaking, majority Hispanic. If I go into a business and the employees either can't or don't want to speak English to me, it is not a big deal, I just move on.

When a community is largely one culture, whatever that culture is, even one that cannot or does not want to speak English, best to just accept the fact.

If I go into a Koreatown in the USA, and they only want to do business with "their people", I have no problem with that.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:48 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
There is almost always a difference between what is and what should be.

I have been in areas of the USA where the community is definitely Spanish-speaking, majority Hispanic. If I go into a business and the employees either can't or don't want to speak English to me, it is not a big deal, I just move on.

When a community is largely one culture, whatever that culture is, even one that cannot or does not want to speak English, best to just accept the fact.

If I go into a Koreatown in the USA, and they only want to do business with "their people", I have no problem with that.

Here's the difference. Koreatown is an ethnic business neighborhood selling ethnic products. Not so, just because a town has a majority of Hispanics living in it. It's an non-assimilation issue out in mainstream America when Spanish speakers or any others whose native language isn't English refuses to speak it. I keep hearing that Hispanics in general are assimilating fast in America. What a joke! They are colonizing not assimilating and as one other poster pointed out building their own little towns across America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies