Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 10:56 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
No I don't miss the America before Trump. I miss the America before Obama!! Obama was the worst thing for America since Jimmy Carter. I appreciate where America is going with Trump in office. Go Trump!
Again no specifics...

I suppose these sorts of comments mean something to people who don't think in terms of specifics, tangibles, reason or balance. Maybe this is why America can't seem to do any better than it does.

"We don't need no stinking specifics!"

Old 09-21-2018, 10:56 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Big time. It will take decades to repair the damage he has done.
That’s a long time. Luckily, it only took about a couple of years to repair the damage Obama did. There wasn’t too much change in his “hope and change” campaign.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Depends on which era you're talking about. If you're talking about the Obama era, then no I don't miss it at all. I've never been one to subscribe to hope. Believing in the hope system is like spending your welfare check on lottery tickets. You're hoping to win one day, but that day never comes and you die broke and lied to. The only change I saw during those years is increased racial division in this country. (Dallas, TX anyone?)

Prior to that we had 8 years of a lame duck presidency, which was awful. Nothing has been accomplished in this country since Clinton was in office.

So, nope, don't miss it at all.
One of the worst things that can happen to a person is to lose hope, and this is what makes a lot of people give up on themselves and everything else. IOWs, I don't look at hope like you do, just because disappointment is inevitable. Whether you want to admit it or not, I think everyone hopes for better rather than worse. Our health, our families, our opportunities, prosperity for America, avoiding wars. We all HOPE for these things, and hopefully we do what we can to bring about better rather than worse for ourselves.

If all you saw during the Obama 8 years was "increased radical division," then all I can say is you don't see much or too well! Or maybe it's that you can't see what you don't want to see. I'm not sure, but I am HOPEFUL not everyone has such myopic vision!

Last edited by LearnMe; 09-21-2018 at 11:17 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
No , I dont miss it. I hated every moment of it. Especially when Obama was president. It was hard to deal with Obama , because he was such a inept narcissist , but I dealt with it..

Such a relief actually having a president that does not apologize and actually does what he campaigned on.
Looking for even one specific here, and I think I see one!

"Does not apologize."

That's a big one! Great...

Old 09-21-2018, 11:06 AM

413 posts, read 301,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Again no specifics...

I suppose these sorts of comments mean something to people who don't think in terms of specifics, tangibles, reason or balance. Maybe this is why America can't seem to do any better than it does.

"We don't need no stinking specifics!"
That is such a funny comment! Thanks for the laugh.
I am sorry I didn't reach high enough on your intellectual comment scale. I feel a little belittled at the moment. I guess I am not smart enough to comment on your most valuable vague thread. Please.

Last edited by alan west; 09-21-2018 at 11:15 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDaves View Post
Depends on the era. Too many periods in the past that I would not look forward to going back to (slavery, Jim Crow, etc).
Fair. I could have been more specific, but since I wasn't, there have been some interesting comments about times even before Obama. I was referring to Obama's two terms before Trump, but sometimes I even think the four years under Bush were better. They were when it comes to not having a POTUS so embarrassing on so many levels (though Bush was a little embarrassing). Bush got us into Iraq, however, and left Obama with the Great Recession to contend with...

Would be VERY interesting if instead of Trump enjoying very strong economic winds to his back upon becoming POTUS, how well Trump would have done if he had inherited the economic mess that Obama had to devote so much of his attention to. Very interesting indeed, and I'm quite certain we're ALL lucky it was Obama then rather than Trump. Very lucky indeed, for Trump too for that matter, as he quickly takes credit for everything positive. All negative now under Trump is because of "enemies of the people" of course...

Last edited by LearnMe; 09-21-2018 at 11:23 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That’s a long time. Luckily, it only took about a couple of years to repair the damage Obama did. There wasn’t too much change in his “hope and change” campaign.
Actually took no time at all, since -- maybe you are not aware -- the economy was already in repair and onto an upward trend before Trump took office. In that respect, all Trump had to hope for was the trend continue, and we all have hopes he doesn't now screw it up like he seems inclined to do.

How?

Well running up the deficit during a time of economic expansion is about as forward thinking as a caboose!

Old 09-21-2018, 11:17 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure who you are referring to, but I don't see these opinions, concerns or perspectives having much to do with defining one's identity. Not sure what that even means, but surely one's identity will determine how we feel about politics. Nothing pathetic about that anyway, although what some people get behind is very sadly pathetic. No doubt about that...
Since you’re much more mentally healthy than I gave you credit for you shouldn’t have a problem getting over the election soon.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
That is such a funny comment! Thanks for the laugh.
I am sorry I didn't reach high enough on your intellectual comment scale. I feel a little belittled at the moment. I guess I am not smart enough to comment on your most valuable vague thread. Please.
Well, reread your comment, and if you or anyone can make much more of it differently than I did, please do let me know how. Good I made you laugh though. At least something positive, productive. At least that, something...

PS: If this thread and all the comments in it are "vague" to you, then I think I know why you're laughing. There are people who can help you.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
I miss America before Rush Limbaugh.

He's not given enough"credit" for the mood of the country and the divide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies