Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:49 PM

10,530 posts, read 6,164,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Creationist here who does believe dinosaurs came onto Noah's Ark. However, to find reliable scientific evidence to back that up would be almost miraculous.
Okay I take it back. ^^

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:52 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is Trump’s America.
Thank God it came to be.

Now we are free to believe what we want, and express it also.

You did not get your continued "Power to the State" wish affirmed in November 2016.

I may not agree with the Creationist in question, but I revere his right (which soldiers died for) to pursue the things he believes in.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Some vocabulary may clear things up:

Laws, principles, theories, hypotheses and conjectures

Law - a small part of a theory that is (so far as we know) invariably true.

Theory - in popular vocabulary, it's simply a guess, but in science a theory is an explanation of how a lot of facts, data laws work together.

Hypothesis - this is what popular vocabulary calls a theory
Quote:
When you make a prediction about an experiment at school you should really say that 'My hypothesis is that...' rather than 'My theory is that...'
Conjecture - is even more of a guess than a Hypothesis. It's based on reasonable belief, but not proven. IOW, it's a good basis for a hypothesis. I see little to distinguish it from "speculation with reasonable basis".

By these actual definitions, Evolution is as solid a theory as science can have. It's based on a lot of facts from a whole myriad of scientific fields. It's backed by a combination of paleontology, anthropology, genetics (close relations with chimpanzees and other ape species), with even geology (particularly plate tectonics) lending a hand. In the latter case, Australia's unique wildlife is explained by that continent being long-separated from other continents.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:07 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Thank God it came to be.

You did not get your continued "Power to the State" wish affirmed in November 2016.

I may not agree with the Creationist in question, but I revere his right (which soldiers died for) to pursue the things he believes in.
I don’t think anyone’s right to believe in what they want is in question.

What’s in question is whether Arizona kids will be allowed to learn current scientific thinking.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:09 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

What’s in question is whether Arizona kids will be allowed to learn current scientific thinking.
and that will be up to the population at large, as it should be, to decide.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Not really; they are all observable.
You personally have laid eyes on an atom? You personally have watched a germ cause a disease? You personally have observed the bending of space?

Old 09-15-2018, 03:13 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Exactly.

Why can't kids learn creationism in their church? That's where I learned it - even growing up in Alabama, I do not recall it being taught in schools.

Parents who want their kids taught religion need to stop being so damn lazy and get up on Sunday morning and take their kids to Sunday School and Church.

Period.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
When I was a Methodist kid I asked how god could create everything in six days, and was told " Days were longer then".

When I asked how Methuselah could have lived nine hundred years, I was told "Years were shorter then".

When I asked why Jesus would turn water into wine if drinking was a sin, I was told "It wasn't really wine, it was grape juice".

When I asked where Cain got a wife, I was told "God created her especially for him", with no mention of the rest of the people in the Land of Nod ever having been created.

When I asked why god would kill babies who were innocent to punish the guilty, I was told "God works in mysterious ways".

When I asked why an all-powerful god would need pharoah's permission to free the slaves to go with Moses, I never got an answer. Ditto why a loving god would send souls to hell because by an accident of birth they lived and died before Jesus showed up.

This is precisely where super-strict Biblical Literalism takes you (and sometimes "only" "merely" strict), especially the "read the Bible like you would a newspaper" approach that so often seems to be used in certain denominations.

It didn't take long to figure out they were winging it because nobody had a clue. The still don't. They believe in things they can't prove because their parents did. There is no empirical evidence to prove any of the stories in the Bible, outside the historical places that were used for their settings.
Not to mention The Golden Rule. Immanuel Kant suggested that if the Golden Rule spoken by Jesus is taken at face value (and we're taught that as kids), then that means a judge shouldn't punish a criminal clearly guilty beyond reasonable doubt, on the basis that the judge wouldn't want to go to jail were he on trial. Therefore the judge shouldn't send the criminal to jail. (Or in a less extreme case, you shouldn't make others pay back money you loaned to them, on the grounds that you wouldn't want to pay back money if someone insisted you come up with it. Therefore, you shouldn't insist others pay back debts owed to you.

Turn the other cheek? In that case, America sinned when it went after the Tailban after 9/11, and also when it declared war on Japan after Pearl Harbor.

Plus the verses that seem to promote the Divine Right of Kings.

This is precisely where strict Biblical Literalism takes you.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:16 PM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Thank God it came to be.

He's welcome to pursue it, indeed, anyone who wants to know the truth would encourage him to gather all empirical evidence available to support his theory. If he can prove it, a lot of people will come to believe it. Guaranteed.

Until then, it's all nothing but an uninformed opinion.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:17 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
That's what "creationism" is? A six-thousand-year-old Earth and dinosaurs on Noah's ark?

The things you learn on CD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies