Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 12:31 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,105,961 times

Advertisements

First implement resources so that people who might think they're unable to evacuate, can. People like the elderly, disabled, people who have no money, etc.

It should also be absolutely forbidden for businesses providing non-essential services to operate during true disasters. I say this, because unfortunately some people stay because their employers force them to stay and work.

As for people who stay because they think their garbage is worth more than their lives, and then suddenly change their mind when chit gets real? Yes. Throw the bill at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 01:12 PM

23,813 posts, read 14,944,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Noted that you didn't challenge any of my points.
As for your scenario:
Would you not research beforehand if you were in a covered area before taking out a policy?
If no insurance is available to you (this is also a big clue you are living in a dangerous area), then you are reliant on the charity of friends, family, neighbors and the altruistic.
Sadly when people see the budgets of govt agencies, they think guv already has enough of everyones money to do the job and far less likely to donate.
In the 70's Houston grew much faster than EMTs and fire departments. Harris county is unincorporated. They could not provide services.

We did have private. Each subdivision decided to participate, or not. We did have to knock on doors for donations to buy an ambulance. The local hospital trained volunteer EMTs. They allowed a mobile building on their parking lot to house the volunteers working their shifts.

We knocked on doors annually for years to get a donation per household.. Then the subdivisions included a fee per house in their annual assessment. It took around 20 or so years of individuals, MUDs and HOAs to create a taxing authority so we could include the cost in our property tax.

I can give you a what about this or that hypothetical for anything you could come up with.

My favorite was women who did not want their husbands on a night shift with female EMTs whose real job was emergency room nurses. Blew my mind that those insecure idiots would rather watch teenagers in wrecks die on the highway than have their own DH work with competent people.

You can have private. I'll take public tax payer provided for everyone all day, any day

Old 09-16-2018, 01:19 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
They should not be rescued.

American blood and taxpayer $$$ shouldn't be spent to fight for Iraqis and others but it is. Take care of our own damn people and stop the blood/$$$ flow taking care of others.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:25 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,274,710 times
In Arizona, they have a "stupid motorist law" where if you purposely drive through a wash with water and ignore barricades and signage warning them of floods ahead and get stuck, you have to reimburse the government for the cost of your rescue. Which only seems fair!

Old 09-16-2018, 01:34 PM

3,061 posts, read 1,522,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
As a hiker I remember a article in a magazine called Backpacker asking the same question. If you need to be rescued from breaking your leg, bit by a snake, etc. We all pay taxes too have someone to come up us if we get over our heads or stuck somewhere where the weather has turned bad. Now if you need a helicopter lift or something out of the norm, I would think that’s a different story.
In the state of NH, hikers can and will be charged for rescue if they are illprepared for weather, or the trail conditions etc. Major trails cross NH in remote areas and rescue can take many people etc. helicopters are not unknown. A couple yrs ago NH instituted a hiking ins card. Not very expensive. Its a get out of jail free card. If you have one and need rescue, then the state does not charge.

In the situation of hurricane flooding, able bodied people who refuse to evacuate should pay for rescue. Disabled folk should be known to their local fire departsments etc and every effort should be made to assist those individuals. Ditto for those without a car or the financial means to easily leave town.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:40 PM

23,813 posts, read 14,944,195 times
A friend was on a raft trip down the river in the Grand Canyon years ago. Another passenger had his film in an ammo container. The raft shifted, passengers all went up in the air. Our friend landed on that ammo can on her knee. The raft pulled in where it could and waited for a plane to go directly overhead so their radio signal could get out. She was airlifted out by helicopter. Her insurance paid thousands. It took a day and 1/2 for the radio signal to get out to get the helicopter in.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:05 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,274,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
She was airlifted out by helicopter. Her insurance paid thousands.
Yeah, medevacs are anything but cheap!

Old 09-16-2018, 07:06 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,960,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Profit= reward for a job well done
Loss=punishment for not satifying customers

Govt run= No profit, no loss, just budget. when the budget is used up rationing or discontinuation of service takes place. Much of budget is spent supporting administrative costs and not actual service. Typically two to one over comparable private sector service.
No performance reward and inefficiency/ shoddy service is typically rewarded by way of an increase in budget.

Yeah I can see why you'd want to advocate for guv run.
Considering I was a volunteer EMT your misplaced sarcasm is offensive.

Ask the people who have had Rural-Metro, a privatized fire service, bill them $20,000 just for showing up what a great idea privatized emergency services are.

Your profit/loss scenario works in commercial enterprises. It does not correlate into public services.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:07 PM

33,843 posts, read 16,875,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Should people in a mandatory evacuation area who refused to leave be charged a flat fine if they have to be rescued?

When a child is killed as the result of a natural disaster, should a parent in a mandatory evacuation area who refused to leave, be charged with criminally negligent homicide?
YES to both.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:08 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,960,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I don’t know if you noticed, or what your relative definition of reasonable is, but this forum is choked with sadistic people that love talking about making people suffer and die for stupidity. They think you should be shot and killed for mouthing off to a cop, be mugged beaten and killed for being liberal, and be put in jail for life for having an ounce of weed on you.
I wonder if any towns in this area have a pickup service for people that cannot evacuate on their own. At least that would take care of people that wanted to leave and couldn’t for whatever reason.
Oh yes, I’m quite aware of that. That’s why I said “reasonable” human being. I probably should have said “decent.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies