Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:51 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times

Advertisements

and there is a reason for the electoral college. its so states like NY and California don't pick the president every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Why would they? Their wins were consistent with the popular vote. People complain and rightfully so when the result differs and when we would prefer one person, one vote, instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...oying-america/

Glad she has decided to join the effort to campaign for the midterms. Will she have another Jay Z concert?

When HRC once exclaimed "They were never going to let me be president." Who was the 'They' she was referring to? Voters?

We escaped a major disaster!
Had she been President, we would be in WW-III and a bloody Revolution, here.
The Military would have had a nice coup. They are why Trump even ran as President. Look who he has all around him.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:05 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...oying-america/

Glad she has decided to join the effort to campaign for the midterms. Will she have another Jay Z concert?

When HRC once exclaimed "They were never going to let me be president." Who was the 'They' she was referring to? Voters?
The truth is almost always the polar-opposite of what Clinton is saying.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
do you enjoy being wrong? because you couldnt be more wrong than you are with these posts.

let me try and set you straight here.

first we do not have a national popular vote, we have STATE popular votes. there is no such thing in this country as a national election, only state and local elections.

second everyone that wants to vote in each state can vote in their state of residence, they just need to register to vote and be a citizen of this country.

third if you vote for a candidate, and ten people vote for a different candidate, that does not mean your vote doesnt count, i just means that of eleven people that voted, ten of them wanted the other guy. no one is disenfranchised in the least since every vote counts. or did you think tht only your vote should count above all others?

fourth, the electoral college was set up to give smaller states a say in who is to be president. if we went to a national popular vote, then you WOULD be disenfranchising voters across the country, since at that point a few population centers would tell the rest of the nation who would be president. personally i dont want new york california, and a few large cities telling me who is to be president.

and even though i took the time to post this, you wont read it, you wont try to understand it, because you think you are right and everyone else is wrong. but that is your choice, so be however you wish to be, just be careful what you ask for as you may just get it.

Can't rep you again, but this is an outstanding post!

It's as if Americans have forgotten that the term "States" in US of A refers to independent political entities. This is what happens when you don't know early American history.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Quote:
first we do not have a national popular vote, we have STATE popular votes. there is no such thing in this country as a national election, only state and local elections.
fourth, the electoral college was set up to give smaller states a say in who is to be president. if we went to a national popular vote, then you WOULD be disenfranchising voters across the country, since at that point a few population centers would tell the rest of the nation who would be president. personally i dont want new york california, and a few large cities telling me who is to be president.

and even though i took the time to post this, you wont read it, you wont try to understand it, because you think you are right and everyone else is wrong. but that is your choice, so be however you wish to be, just be careful what you ask for as you may just get it.
It's as if Americans have forgotten that the term "States" in US of A refers to independent political entities. This is what happens when you don't know early American history.
Just about every republic or constitutional monarchy practicing a democratic form (I deliberately did not use the term "democratic republic" for obvious reasons) has a roundabout manner of picking the head of government. There are to basic parliamentary systems:1) "First Past the Post," or a constituency, riding or representative system, where the member of Parliament is elected by the majority vote in each district, examples of those being Canada, Britain and Australia. In those countries there is occasionally either a minority government or "hung Parliament" (Canada under Pearson, Clark, one Pierre Trudeau mandate and two of the Harper mandates) or a coalition government (Cameron and Klegg recently in Britain, and in Canada during WW I). The leader of the party with the most elected representatives forms either a majority, minority or coalition government 2) Proportional representation, where people vote for a party and the parties seat their choice of MP's, almost always resulting in a coalition government (Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Israel and Italy being examples). The party with the most members gets the dubious privilege of forming a governing coalition.

Almost all republics except the U.S. require a 50% majority to win, with a runoff among the top two candidates. Examples are Mexico, Russia, France (a hybrid system), Brazil, Chile and Argentina.

The U.S.'s system was a compromise designed to get nominally independent former British provinces, now called states, to ratify the Constitution. The smaller of those states would never have, and still won't, go for the method prevailing in Mexico et. al. And the amending formula won't allow it to be imposed.

Urban residents understandably feel disadvantaged. But they always have the freedom to relocate to another state or if really aggrieved another country.
Quote:
second everyone that wants to vote in each state can vote in their state of residence, they just need to register to vote and be a citizen of this country.
Not to digress but registering to vote improperly is not difficult. I came withing a keystroke of becoming a California voter, but as a lawyer I couldn't hit the "affirmation" button testifying as to the truth of the application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Can't rep you again, but this is an outstanding post!
Don't worry; I repped already.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:50 AM

6,750 posts, read 3,365,850 times
If the situation was reversed and Hilly had won the electoral vote and lost the popular vote, you can bet she'd be screeching a different tune.

The more that tired old windbags like Clinton and Biden insist on keeping themselves relevant, the more they hurt their party.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:07 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Hey quick, someone tell me that Hillary isn't running for president in 2020.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:26 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and there is a reason for the electoral college. its so states like NY and California don't pick the president every time.
With the popular vote states do not pick the president, citizens do. EVERY CITIZEN.

One person, one vote.

As it is, only citizens who vote with the majority in their state pick the president.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:28 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
she's really speaking up lately!

Wonder when she'll announce for 2020!

Old 09-18-2018, 09:28 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkd19124 View Post
and there is a reason for the electoral college. Its so states like ny and california don't pick the president every time.

people vote not land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies