Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you consider "your people"
All Americans 74 33.04%
Americans who share your religion 2 0.89%
Americans who share your ethnicity/race 13 5.80%
Americans who share your ethnicity AND religion 6 2.68%
People of your religion anywhere in the world 1 0.45%
People of your ethnicity/race anywhere in the world 14 6.25%
People of your state regardless of background 4 1.79%
People of your region (South, New England, etc) regardless of background 9 4.02%
People of your immediate community regardless of background 12 5.36%
Other 89 39.73%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times

Advertisements

My people are your people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Outside of a quote from Mahatma Gandhi, me neither, and so my answer was light-hearted, but it appears others have taken the question much more seriously. This thread is disturbing.

It doesn't have to be spoken. Actions speak louder than words. You can see by actions what groups are tribal and those who are not.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:19 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,908,830 times
I chose "Other". In my case it is shared interests. Sometimes those interests are so different that I am the only common denominator of the different groups.

After that it is country, region, state.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yes unfortunate. I especially see this with Mexicans, Jews, and Muslims. With African Americans and how much they identify with Africa its give or take, a wide range.

Most Mexicans seem to consider their own kind all Mexicans on both sides of the border, and this is NOT in our American national interests as Mexico's national interests aren't the same as ours.

Same with jews. While I personally support Israel, most Jews do place worldwide Jewry and Israel before America. It is said that for American Jews, Israel is their child while America is their spouse, and you can still divorce your spouse.

Personally I still focus on all Americans as my people. My national loyalty as an American FAR supercedes my racial loyalty as an Asian/ethnic Chinese. So when the US deals with China I want America to be on top and want any trade war to end with China conceding to America's terms. I also have no sympathy for illegals even if they're Asian, because I will always put the interests of American citizens first regardless of race.

I think most white and black Americans still think of themselves as Americans first despite the racial divisions stirred up by the liberals like Obama, Hillary and Kaepernick. Every black person I know would cheer for a Team USA athlete competing against someone from an African nation and every white person I know when watching the Olympics would cheer for a black American athlete over a European.

Good post and I totally agree with you. My loyalty is also to America and it's people and I have no racial or ethnic loyalty.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:27 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
So 35 folks said they're loyal to all Americans. Anyone else finding that questionable?

I'm guessing some of them may be the flag-wavers who tell Muslim Americans to go back to where they came from.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So 35 folks said they're loyal to all Americans. Anyone else finding that questionable?

I'm guessing some of them may be the flag-wavers who tell Muslim Americans to go back to where they came from.
Now that you mention it, yes. Highly questionable. I'm pretty sure there are also some people who don't truly consider their political opponents "their people," either.

Honestly, I think this whole premise is flawed. If the question is, "with whom am I likely to agree," that is one thing. If it's "whose welfare matters to me," it's quite another, and I devoutly hope the answer is different.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times
My people as in the poll are Texans.
People from other states are a little weird, when they say the word y’all it sounds forced. They e never been to the Rodeo. They care too little about High School football, they don’t think Tex-Amex is one of the best fushion cuisines ever made. They don’t go to Church or know churchgoing people specifically Pentecostal/Baptist. They have no opinion in the debate on why Houston is better than Dallas. Hey don’t really know about what Kolaches are, or Whataburger. They don’t go to Buc-ees on road trips.
In reality the most I have used the phrase of my people or something like it to mean a specific geopolitical phrase would be talking about Texans.
If I had a list: Texans, Nigerian Americans, Immigrants to America, Americans, Nigerians.
Of course if this wasn’t about geopolitics it would be something like all the worlds soccer players, geography lovers and anime watchers.

When I go to Nigeria I identify very little with Nigerians compared to Americans. I’m of mixed ethnicity and I have yet to meet someone with my specific mix as people of Ijaw heritage and Yoruba’s heritage rarely mix in Nigeria. The most common mixes are by far Hausa and Fulani followed by Igbo and the surrounding ethnicities and Yoruba and the surrounding ethnicities. So because of that reason In a country like Nigeria were ethnic group really defines your connection to others and the majority of marriages are still inter-ethnic I feel less connected than in America and Texas were even the majority of people are mixed, either Spanish and some other European ethnicity or Native Mexican ethnicity or mixed with some portion of African etcetera.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
My people as in the poll are Texans.
People from other states are a little weird, when they say the word y’all it sounds forced. They e never been to the Rodeo. They care too little about High School football, they don’t think Tex-Amex is one of the best fushion cuisines ever made. They don’t go to Church or know churchgoing people specifically Pentecostal/Baptist. They have no opinion in the debate on why Houston is better than Dallas. Hey don’t really know about what Kolaches are, or Whataburger. They don’t go to Buc-ees on road trips.
In reality the most I have used the phrase of my people or something like it to mean a specific geopolitical phrase would be talking about Texans.
If I had a list: Texans, Nigerian Americans, Immigrants to America, Americans, Nigerians.
Of course if this wasn’t about geopolitics it would be something like all the worlds soccer players, geography lovers and anime watchers.

When I go to Nigeria I identify very little with Nigerians compared to Americans. I’m of mixed ethnicity and I have yet to meet someone with my specific mix as people of Ijaw heritage and Yoruba’s heritage rarely mix in Nigeria. The most common mixes are by far Hausa and Fulani followed by Igbo and the surrounding ethnicities and Yoruba and the surrounding ethnicities. So because of that reason In a country like Nigeria were ethnic group really defines your connection to others and the majority of marriages are still inter-ethnic I feel less connected than in America and Texas were even the majority of people are mixed, either Spanish and some other European ethnicity or Native Mexican ethnicity or mixed with some portion of African etcetera.

Quote:" If I had a list: Texans, Nigerian Americans, Immigrants to America, Americans, Nigerians.
Of course if this wasn’t about geopolitics it would be something like all the worlds soccer players, geography lovers and anime watchers".

In that order?

Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Now that you mention it, yes. Highly questionable. I'm pretty sure there are also some people who don't truly consider their political opponents "their people," either.

Honestly, I think this whole premise is flawed. If the question is, "with whom am I likely to agree," that is one thing. If it's "whose welfare matters to me," it's quite another, and I devoutly hope the answer is different.
I agree. Also, the people I feel loyalty toward is a very small circle. Family, friends, neighbors, the guy I report to and the people who report to me. We're invested in one another as human beings. We go above and beyond for one another. If they need something, I'm there, and if I need something, they're on it.

Who do I identify with? My answer is everybody. There is something about every person I've ever encountered that I can identify with. That doesn't mean I feel loyalty toward them.

I feel some sense of loyalty to my country, but recognize it isn't perfect, isn't the 'best', and in some ways, is terribly flawed.

Some folks would say the latter part of that sentiment automatically negates the former. I hate that attitude because it never leads to change or improvement in anything.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

I'm actually pleased that the majority are loyal to all Americans. Why would one find that questionable? No one is telling peaceful Muslims who assimilate into our society and don't seek to harm us to go back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies