Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you consider "your people"
All Americans 74 33.04%
Americans who share your religion 2 0.89%
Americans who share your ethnicity/race 13 5.80%
Americans who share your ethnicity AND religion 6 2.68%
People of your religion anywhere in the world 1 0.45%
People of your ethnicity/race anywhere in the world 14 6.25%
People of your state regardless of background 4 1.79%
People of your region (South, New England, etc) regardless of background 9 4.02%
People of your immediate community regardless of background 12 5.36%
Other 89 39.73%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:40 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Pride in or tribalism about things no one has control over like nationality, race, etc is for pathetic losers that don't have any actual accomplishments of their own to be proud of.
You think that pride in your nation is for losers?

Then you should go live in a poor country like Haiti and see how that works out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 09:47 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You think that pride in your nation is for losers?

Then you should go live in a poor country like Haiti and see how that works out for you.
Tying part of your self worth to the country you live in is a crutch for losers, yes. Your parents having sex/giving birth in some location on Earth is not exactly a feat of strength or ingenuity.

If I moved to Haiti it would be for a good reason and I would be successful there to - otherwise I wouldn't move there.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Something to ponder as everyone is considering the identity of their people...

How Connected Is Your Community to Everywhere Else in America?

Old 09-19-2018, 11:22 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
A place like Japan, where race, ethnicity and nationality are usually one in the same............ now THAT is a cohesive country. Places like the USA......not so much.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:26 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I’ve never used the term “my peopleâ€.
You did in that post.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:27 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Tying part of your self worth to the country you live in is a crutch for losers, yes. Your parents having sex/giving birth in some location on Earth is not exactly a feat of strength or ingenuity.

If I moved to Haiti it would be for a good reason and I would be successful there to - otherwise I wouldn't move there.
I think some people assume that an absence of pride is the same thing as shame. It isn't.

I've always kind of felt the same way you do: pride is something reserved for one's personal accomplishments, not one's nationality, race, intelligence (as opposed to acquired knowledge, which is an accomplishment) or any other thing that is essentially an accident of birth. So, no, I am not particularly proud to be an American, any more than I am ashamed of it. I may be thankful, as living here means I am unlikely to ever be imprisoned for my political views or to die in a famine, but thankfulness is a whole other thing, and has little to do with pride.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:35 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I am English first, and British second. My passport says I was born in the United Kingdom. Scottish people always say they are Scottish first, and British second. I feel the same way.

The majority of Muslims when asked in surveys, say they consider themselves Muslims first, and British second. Even those born in England, describe themselves as British, not English. They consider the white natives English, but not themselves.

I don't know why that is. If you're born in England, you're English. They don't consider themselves so. They will always be outsiders, because that's how they want it to be.

Others from that continent like Indians are different. They consider themselves British first, and Hindu's second. They are very British in manner, and outlook. Muslims are the same wherever you find them in Europe. They isolate themselves, and create parallel societies. Sometimes living alongside the native population, but mainly separate, and never becoming integrated.

They are very interesting people. They stick together, and help each other out when in need. Any disaster in the world involving Muslims, they are there raising funds to help. Anybody not Muslim....... not really interested. That's the way they are.

Before anybody here says I don't know what I'm talking about, I have Muslims who live around me. I have observed them for many years. I have worked with them, and had many talks with them. They are very family orientated, and don't have much to do with non Muslims, outside the work place.

I have observed them in schools where they are forced to share classes with non Muslims. As soon as they leave the class, and go outside the school, they separate from the non Muslim children, and just stay among themselves. I watched this over many years at a school near to where I used to live in my home town. Like I say, interesting people, but very religious, and in certain circumstances, some of them can be dangerous, as we all know.
I don't want to get into an argument about Muslims, but it does seem worth pointing out that most religions encourage their adherents to place their faith above their race or nationality. It often doesn't work out that way, but I think that's less a function of any specific religion than of an increasing secularization of most Western countries.

Disclaimer: The above statement is neither a condemnation nor an endorsement of any faith or lack thereof. It is simply an observation.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:04 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So 35 folks said they're loyal to all Americans. Anyone else finding that questionable?

I'm guessing some of them may be the flag-wavers who tell Muslim Americans to go back to where they came from.
Nothing questionable about that even if it were true. If a muslim is wearing a burka and yammering in a foreign language like I see and hear daily now, they are not American and need to go back where they came from. Even if they have US citizenship that doesn't make them American in every sense of the word.

You sound like preachy Obama.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:05 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Not to get off topic, but the thread title "who do you consider your people" is an interesting question that I'd like to hear Donald Trump answer. Off the cuff, no teleprompter.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Not to get off topic, but the thread title "who do you consider your people" is an interesting question that I'd like to hear Donald Trump answer. Off the cuff, no teleprompter.
Since you went there. We know who Obama's people are and aren't. He told us daily, the "people of color", liberals, blacks over whites, muslims etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies