Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
"Give away more free stuff"

I used healthcare for all as the example for this but I'll at least give Democrats credit for being for something at least in this particular instance that would truly benefit everyone and not just their core constituency. The problem of course and what they never follow through and explain is how on earth to pay for it. Healthcare for all by some estimates would cost as much as $35 TRILLION with a T to implement over the next 10 (or maybe it was 15 years). That requires a MASSIVE increase in the federal budget and basically requires the federal government to take it over and given the federal government's track record of inefficiency running any large agency what gives supporters of such a plan ANY reassurance they'll run such a massive program efficiently and anywhere near within that budget? Massive tax increases alone aren't going to cover the cost when the cost of healthcare keeps going up and up. Rationing of healthcare is inevitable at some point and that doesn't even take into account the effect massive tax increases will have on hiring and the economy. I mean I'm all for it if there's a realistic way it could be done without job and economy crippling tax increases on businesses and individual taxpayers and it wouldn't explode the deficit and the national debt but how on earth do you avoid that happening with such a massively expensive increase added to the budget? It just doesn't seem sustainable to any reasonable degree at all.
For the love of God can you please use paragraphs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 05:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
I like the #Resist movement, but I agree that it doesn't resonate with moderate or undecided voters.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:44 PM
205 205 started this thread

518 posts, read 448,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I honestly don't understand why the Democratic Party thinks "RESIST!!" resonates with Independents and undecided voters

It is not a message for undecided voters. It is what people feel they need to do for themselves. Considering they have a selfish and amoral con man doing great harm to the country, they need to fight back. This didn't come from the DNC.

So it's not about you, if you can not see the problem it is not a message for you ...

Trump may be the biggest con man on earth but I think your personal hatred of the man misses the point. I don't like a lot of what he tweets and says and ideally he'd act more presidential and let things slide off his back more but love it or hate it that's just not who he is. He is unquestionably a narcissistic egomaniac who is far from a saint. He's a very flawed man to be sure. However, he ultimately should be judged on results and whether the policies he has implemented are helping or hurting the country and whether he has kept his campaign promises, not on mean tweets that may offend or hurt someone's feelings. He's not there to be a therapist. He's there to be CIC and to get results and promote policies that strengthen the economy for all Americans, protect Americans, and protect America's interests abroad. On that basis, he's done a better than average job.

Maybe as his haters say he isn't bringing the country together
and is dividing it but the division in the country isn't the fault of President Trump himself. It takes leaders of good faith and character as well as citizens from both sides of the aisle to help bring the country together. He hasn't struck back against his political opponents in a vacuum either. When one side decides to resist him at all costs without any regard for the good of the country that's not acting in good faith. To suggest that the President bears sole responsibility for suddenly dividing a recently harmonious country is at best intellectual dishonesty. Republicans certainly aren't blameless either and many treated Obama with unreasonable contempt but I dare say no President in history has faced the full scale hatred from a mainstream media, opposing party, establishment political class of both parties, etc in this country's history than this President. Granted, he brings some of that on himself but not the amount he gets. It's way disproportionate to what any president has faced in modern U.S. history.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I honestly don't understand why the Democratic Party thinks "RESIST!!" resonates with Independents and undecided voters

It is not a message for undecided voters. It is what people feel they need to do for themselves. Considering they have a selfish and amoral con man doing great harm to the country, they need to fight back. This didn't come from the DNC.

So it's not about you, if you can not see the problem it is not a message for you ...

OP, Trump isn't talking to us. We are not talking to you.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-20-2018 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I regularly listen to Doctor Radio. They have a guy who talks all about health insurance and answers caller's questions. People always say we need single payer. This guy is as liberal as they come and he talks about how Americans would hate single payer and why. He says no more private rooms. Wait months for elective surgeries and tests. Not picking their doctor or hospitals. But the most interesting thing he said, IMO, was the part about how we in America do so much R&D and develop most new procedures and drugs. There would be less incentive to do any of that if we had single payer. Why do people think we do most of it here? Duh. But he also pointed out that we are subsidizing OTHER countries by developing these new drugs and procedures.
So he's an MD. right?

He is worried that his income will suffer. MD's and OD's in the USA are the highest paid in the world.

I suppose we can hope people from Canada, the UK and Australia (or anywhere else) contribute what they know about care in their own countries, to see how that compares with what your radio personality is saying.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Trump may be the biggest con man on earth ...
Nice of you to notice.
Quote:
... but I think your personal hatred of the man misses the point.
I don't hate Trump. Not at all.

I don't hate the dog that craps on my yard, he just does what comes naturally to him. I just wish that dog was under control. I certainly don't want him on my yard.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

Because they are the only ones that think they are smart.
I love the look on their faces when they get freight-trained. It never gets old.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:55 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
It does not even resonate with Democrats like myself. You may not respect Trump, but you have to respect the office of the presidency, and many Democrats have failed to do this. Also, through their "resist" campaign, they are failing to support the election results, which makes their actions the equivalent of a banana republic. Trump was elected, you are to support such election, it is pretty simple.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
What do they truly stand for other than "RESIST!!!!"?

They also like IMPEACH .....

Honestly - they have nothing else. How many votes can they really get by telling folks "we will raise your taxes", "we want open borders & to abolish ICE so illegals can take your jobs, "we don't agree with the Constitution or the Electoral College - so we will change that".

Everyone should take pause and listen to what they say ...... They don't believe in our System of Government or our Constitution.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It does not even resonate with Democrats like myself. You may not respect Trump, but you have to respect the office of the presidency, and many Democrats have failed to do this. Also, through their "resist" campaign, they are failing to support the election results, which makes their actions the equivalent of a banana republic. Trump was elected, you are to support such election, it is pretty simple.
I believe the election was valid, and I respect the presidency. Perhaps that is why I care so much about this.

The problem is Trump's policies. We have a duty to oppose bad policy, and that is why there is separation of powers. Trump is not an absolute monarch, he is a citizen, and citizen Trump does not think of the dire consequences of some of the things he wants to do. Any citizen who sees that has a duty to oppose bad policy, and the congress needs to stand up to him.

Some of the first things we need to do is restore the Environmental Protection Agency and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Right now they are controlled by people who actually oppose the mission of those agencies. We need people in charge who believe in their responsibilities, not actively working to frustrate them.

And we need our president to stop running down our national security agencies, they are our first line of defense, staffed by skilled professionals. We need our president to take foreign interference in our electoral process seriously, and lead us in the fight to protect our nation from further incursions. This one won't do that, because he is afraid it will make his election look illegitimate. He isn't thinking of our nation first, he is only thinking of himself ...

The man seemed unfit when he ran in the primaries, he seemed unfit when he received the nomination and he is now proving himself unfit on the job.

The party needs to dump Trump for 2020, if for no nobler reason than to save itself, or he will drag it down with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies