Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:25 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,957,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Looks like Trump's tariffs on Chinese goods will hit Walmart big time! Get ready to spend some of that tax cut on higher prices at Walmart. Just in time for Christmas! I guess those kiddies will have to do with less toys.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/19/new...ina/index.html

Thanks Bigly Donald! Making America Groan Again!
Thank Gawd! I am so looking forward to paying more for American made toys once again. Keep up the good work Trump, hopefully soon now Chinese toys will be so expensive we will be forced to buy from the good old USA again. Anyone old enough to remember Walmart back when Sam Walton was alive will remember that on every rack, there were signs that reminded us that their products were "Made in the USA", he died and his company sold it's soul to the devil for the almighty profit.

Hopefully tariffs will even the playing field for US born production once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 10:28 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,636,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Thank Gawd! I am so looking forward to paying more for American made toys once again. .

They are available, why aren't you buying them now?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-20-2018, 10:57 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,957,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They are available, why aren't you buying them now?
Let me rephrase, I am so looking forward to Walmart stocking their shelves with American products once again...

Old 09-20-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Let me rephrase, I am so looking forward to Walmart stocking their shelves with American products once again...
That's probably not going to happen.

BUT, you can still buy American products if you look around and be careful with your purchases, and shop a variety of places.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:06 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,735,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
If fewer people are buying fewer china-made toys and articles of clothing, how can that be a bad thing? No kid needs one more object, and nobody needs more clothes! (With the exception of growing kids.)
Food products will also be included and many families buy grocery items at Walmart because they are trying to stretch their income.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:09 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,168,058 times
Quote:
Or someone with a new job, or the construction worker whose clothes wear out quickly, family portraits....

Ah, tell them to suck it.
Or pregnant women. Or people who have lost/gained weight.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:26 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,483,754 times
Quote:
I believe the point is that the tariffs are going to hit Trump's base. Walmart is a huge help to the working poor, whether you love them or hate them.

The tariffs will affect all retailers if they carry the same items.

Paying more (for no reason) is equivalent to your paycheck being reduced. Same/Same. You get less
Same can be said for cost burdens via regulations and taxes.
If an employer is paying more to produce the same amount to remain in compliance with an arbitrary regulation, or more in taxes, add in crony business practices of raising cost while laying off... or just skip production stateside completely to protect profit...

Again, the whole idea behind Trump rolling back regulations, taxes, and placing tariffs, is to get business back in America.
Odd to me, how some will make excuses to have goods made elsewhere but not here. If I ran a multi billion dollar operation, I would be scooping up old factories warehouses and vacant land to get domestic production up and going.

If I were in the real estate market... and I could get the town and county to lower my property taxes alone, I could rent apartments out at $700 $800 per month rather than $1000+.

I could get into buying and flipping houses... scoop them up cheap enough cross my fingers they're not in total shambles. Put what repairs and maintenance are needed and sell at a lower than current market value for a lower profit margin, but have enough houses to make profit in volume rather than sell a house for $225,000, if I bought it for 50k or 60k and put 20k into it, I would sell it for 90-110k. Might anger the neighbors who want to sell theirs at 200k+ ohwell. I'd rather see people be able to buy houses...

Old 09-20-2018, 11:30 AM

So if the point is to bring back jobs to the US, and unemployment is super low..... who will staff those jobs?

Would you increase immigration?

Old 09-20-2018, 11:34 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,483,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I drive very little these days, but my 2001 Buick w/only 75k miles (engine has only 15K miles, replaced by GM in 2008) is getting rusty. I really don't need a replacement - yet - but have been thinking about getting a newer used car primarily b/c of appearance - the rust which would require about $5k work, at least.

So, now, this article has me thinking of paying my local Buick dealer a visit and possibly trading in for a newer (not brand new) car before prices become unreasonable:

The ENTIRE article well worth a read - here are the high points:
And, for the know-it-alls on this thread, please don't start blathering nonsense until you've read the ENTIRE article. Such a pain to continually reinvent the wheel by putting forth a point already rebutted by fact.
How much you want to bet on those jobs lost at the car dealerships are mechanics fed up with ever decreasing SLTS labor OP times for warranty and recall repairs.
I was one that walked away from that for that reason.

There are alot of guys who jump ship and go to work for fleets and independent shops because they aren't burdened with warranty labor rates.

Used to be, aspire to become a dealer technician.
Now its, become a dealer technician and aspire to go into an independent shop or a fleet.
Seriously. The more you know, the more manufacturer certifications you hold, the less money you make as you'll be given all of the warranty and recall crap nobody wants to do.

You'd think a dealership would pay mechanics hourly to keep them on board? Based on their productivity proficiency skills tool accumulation and experience? Pfft. Nope.
Here's a job that pays 2.2 but will take you 5 hours start to finish to complete.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:35 AM

39,044 posts, read 27,468,646 times
Quote:
So if the point is to bring back jobs to the US, and unemployment is super low..... who will staff those jobs?

Would you increase immigration?
You are missing the point.

I don't think most manufacturing jobs are coming back. The problem with trade deficit is that creating a dominating consumer products manufacturing giant is dangerous. The question should NEVER be asked is this, "Without China, what should we do?"

Eventually, free trade will take care of everything. But let's not kid ourselves, we do not have free trade, we have MANAGED trade. In managed trades, terms and conditions are extremely important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies