Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I drive very little these days, but my 2001 Buick w/only 75k miles (engine has only 15K miles, replaced by GM in 2008) is getting rusty. I really don't need a replacement - yet - but have been thinking about getting a newer used car primarily b/c of appearance - the rust which would require about $5k work, at least.

So, now, this article has me thinking of paying my local Buick dealer a visit and possibly trading in for a newer (not brand new) car before prices become unreasonable:

The ENTIRE article well worth a read - here are the high points:
And, for the know-it-alls on this thread, please don't start blathering nonsense until you've read the ENTIRE article. Such a pain to continually reinvent the wheel by putting forth a point already rebutted by fact.
Thank you for your post and the many folks that you've helped on other CD Forums!

I've got you beat tho'. My 2001 Ford Focus wagon only has 73,100 miles on it! Not one spot of rust either! New Buicks have gotten a little pricey! That new Buick wagon is actually a re-badged Opel made in Germany. Look for a gently used LaCrosse or a Lucerne.

Trump will damage many industries with these tariffs ,which will only get larger, if China reciprocates. Those on the lower end of the economic spectrum will suffer the most -as is usually the case. Walmart shoppers -beware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 11:35 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
If fewer people are buying fewer china-made toys and articles of clothing, how can that be a bad thing? No kid needs one more object, and nobody needs more clothes! (With the exception of growing kids.)
The problem is that everyone is still buying. No substitution going on and jobs are not coming back.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:35 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Thank you for your post and the many folks that you've helped on other CD Forums!

I've got you beat tho'. My 2001 Ford Focus wagon only has 73,100 miles on it! Not one spot of rust either! New Buicks have gotten a little pricey! That new Buick wagon is actually a re-badged Opel made in Germany. Look for a gently used LaCrosse or a Lucerne.

Trump will damage many industries with these tariffs ,which will only get larger, if China reciprocates. Those on the lower end of the economic spectrum will suffer the most -as is usually the case. Walmart shoppers -beware!
So now you care about these industries?

Did you care over the last 30-40 years AS they were being sold down the river?

Old 09-20-2018, 01:07 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Enjoy your tariff-stacked imports USA! Canada is a national security threat to you. Get set for 25% higher lumber prices and 25% higher costs of steel and aluminum for your manufacturing.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:26 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrat Logic
  • Walmart - "Horrible company, doesn't pay living wage, exploits EBT, costs American jobs, destroys small business"
Trump tells Walmart No, CNN/Money tells left to be outraged.
  • Walmart - "Great American company which can't help America because of Trump, Americans have to pay more for Christmas lights"

The derangement is on display here every single day.
I know WK, and are a perfect example of that particular malady.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:47 AM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times
Not just Walmart, Home Depot and all box stores will get hit with higher prices by Trump tariffs. Good or bad? That’s called inflation. Same thing will cost more. That is tremendous destruction by a single idiot.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:17 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
NO sympathy for Walmart. They've been screwing suppliers forever. Assuming they were getting their goods at rock bottom prices, how come they can’t pay attention to their wonky grocery carts and customer service? I’ll answer that one for you...they don’t care about customer convenience.

Plenty of other stores manage to pay profit sharing to their employees, while offering high quality products and service.

So what, if Walmart has to pay more for their goods? They will raise their prices accordingly, just like everybody else.
That is precisely the issue. It is quite possible to dislike Walmart for its practices, yet still have some concern for people who shop there, some out of necessity. Walmart itself is unlikely to suffer. The suffering will be done by the consumer, as always.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
I always head to the thrift stores and consignment stores before I set foot inside a retail store. I find clothes with the tags still attached at thrift stores, and I love it when I find a designer name brand while I am thrift store shopping.

I bought my last gas dryer at a thrift store. For electronics I head to the local Pawn Shop Empeno
I do that, too. I love thrift stores.

Unfortunately, there are times when I need something immediately, and thrift stores are, as you surely know, a bit unpredictable in terms of their inventory. At that point, there is little choice but to shop retail, unless it's an item that is not essential.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If the idea behind these tariffs is to bring back jobs to the USA its a losing proposition as you arent going to be motivating too many companies to set up shop in the USA and pay their workers $20 to $40 per hour plus benefits when you can get Asian labor to do it for a few dollars an hour with no benefits.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:38 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
The problem is that everyone is still buying. No substitution going on and jobs are not coming back.

The 327,000 new jobs over the last year represent the best 12-month stretch in 23 years.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...ong-2018-08-03
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies