Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 04:33 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I think people underestimate the impact and role of AI in this. We WILL have AI that can fool people. And once its advanced enough it will be able to become the perfect partner for people. Able to adapt and fit in, and....be loyal to the person they are attached too. They will by design not be capable of disloyalty. And by design will pander to the individual they are created for.
This thread marks one of the very few times we agree on much of anything...

The draw of this potential technology for some people is as you say, to have "the perfect partner" (in MANY ways). There doesn't even necessarily have to be any sexual attraction or component. It's like an "Alexa" (is that the Amazon "brain in a box"?) that is more than a disembodied voice. "She" or "he" could be programmed exactly the way the "mate" decides, and could also serve many, many functions: teacher, companion, health care expert, walking encyclopedia, study partner, on and on and on.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this technology. In fact, I'm most of the time a luddite of sorts. But I can see a bunch of uses for this beyond a romp in the bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
If that were to happen then normal humans would rebel against the AIs and outlaw them. We would then form a police task force to hunt down the remaining AIs. What should we call this new police force?
By whose authority? What crime is being committed and who is the victim?

There is no victim. So it's none of your concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 04:52 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

By whose authority? What crime is being committed and who is the victim?

There is no victim. So it's none of your concern.
Some company will replicate humans with similar robots and highly advanced AI. They will be superior un strength and agility, they will be at least of equal intelligence to the engineers who created them. These replicants will be virtually identical to a human.

The robots will form a conscious and come to realize they are being exploited as slaves as they work in the hardest conditions. They will rebel and may even kill humans. Then they will deemed illegal and that special police squad will hunt them and retire them.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:00 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Some company will replicate humans with similar robots and highly advanced AI. They will be superior un strength and agility, they will be at least of equal intelligence to the engineers who created them. These replicants will be virtually identical to a human.

The robots will form a conscious and come to realize they are being exploited as slaves as they work in the hardest conditions. They will rebel and may even kill humans. Then they will deemed illegal and that special police squad will hunt them and retire them.

You don't understand. They literally wont be able to rebel. They wont want too. They will simply be designed to be a perfect companion. The moral and ethical dilemmas are going to be insane.

If you get a chance, watch the new Westworld series. It can be stomach churning at points. Now imagine that if instead of parks they were in everyones house.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:10 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:

I think you've seen Terminator one too many times.

Again, I'm the one usually lamenting the fact that technology is "taking over." But this particular technology is one of a very few to which I can honestly give a thumbs up.

I would INFINITELY rather see a person walking down the sidewalk with a robot that can be mistaken for a human than I would a phone-zombie staggering down the sidewalk with his or her face planted in a ridiculous little screen. WAY more natural in appearance and not giving nearly the appearance of an addiction as smartphones do. At least with a robot, the two would look halfway natural. Walking around with your face glued to a smartphone screen is anything but natural looking.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:11 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Well I would love to have a robot to do chores that's about it. I suppose if I was really lonely and a robot could be exactly like a person I would like, I could see them as something of a mate. But this would have to be really advanced.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
In Toronto, $60C gets you an hour with a little "hottie". Asia and Europe have had sex doll brothels for much longer and they are booked all the time. Soon LA will have its first sex doll brothel.
I don't understand the controversy. What's the problem? Sex with inanimate objects is quite common and has been so for many centuries.

There is no reason whatsoever for any level of government to get involved with this business.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Well I would love to have a robot to do chores that's about it. I suppose if I was really lonely and a robot could be exactly like a person I would like, I could see them as something of a mate. But this would have to be really advanced.

Less then a decade. Ray Kurzweil for example is one of the leaders in the field for predicting future technologies, with a long historical record that given the topic is pretty impressive.

• 78% of them were entirely correct
  • 8% of them were essentially correct
  • 12% partially correct
  • 2% wrong
That is a self assessment by him. And while I might nit pick some of them, he is essentially accurate. Anyways he estimates within 11 years. I'd say faster given recent strides in quantum systems and some new medical technology that will allow us to understand our own brain even better.

We're truly not ready for it. Nor will we be when it happens. People are going to freak out.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:33 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think you've seen Terminator one too many times..
I was referring to Blade Runner. But AI, humanoid Androids, and sex is a reoccurring theme in movies, ex-machina is another great example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They need to mix this virtual partner with one of those robots.
https://youtu.be/nkcKaNqfykg

Old 09-26-2018, 05:48 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Less then a decade. Ray Kurzweil for example is one of the leaders in the field for predicting future technologies, with a long historical record that given the topic is pretty impressive.

• 78% of them were entirely correct
  • 8% of them were essentially correct
  • 12% partially correct
  • 2% wrong
That is a self assessment by him. And while I might nit pick some of them, he is essentially accurate. Anyways he estimates within 11 years. I'd say faster given recent strides in quantum systems and some new medical technology that will allow us to understand our own brain even better.

We're truly not ready for it. Nor will we be when it happens. People are going to freak out.
Sorry. I’m kind of venturing into a general AI conversation here but I have a good read for you on the topic when you get some free time. It’s a long read but worth it (and you seem to have an interest in the topic as do I).

The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence - Wait But Why

AI has the potential to completely reshape our world every bit as much (if not more so) than the internet did and you are correct that we aren’t ready for it. A lot of people from Mark Zuckerberg to Elon Musk have gone on record as saying that we need to start preparing for this and congress needs to jump in with regulations (something Musk is normally against). No one is listening though.

Musk stated in an interview at SxSW a few months back that he’s seen the cutting edge of AI research and “it scares the hell out of him”.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Musk stated in an interview at SxSW a few months back that he’s seen the cutting edge of AI research and “it scares the hell out of him”.
I've read it. The same website has great article on neural lace, which is Musks answer to this.

And I have seen some of it, and done some truly basic AI work. The advanced stuff I have seen? It scares the hell out of me too. We have a LOT of choices to make.

For the record....I for one welcome our new AI overlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
View detailed profiles of: