Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 05:56 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I think people underestimate the impact and role of AI in this. We WILL have AI that can fool people. And once its advanced enough it will be able to become the perfect partner for people. Able to adapt and fit in, and....be loyal to the person they are attached too. They will by design not be capable of disloyalty. And by design will pander to the individual they are created for.

Other humans in the end simply will not be able to compete. The only ones who might come close are those suffering from BPD, and they implode, so only at first. Its not the sex part that should worry folks, its the emotional part that a AI will eventually be able to deliver.
I don't think that'll be an issue. I think in terms of the sex- stuff, there's going to be a lot of competition. You'll have robots willing to do all sorts of freaky-deaky stuff that's probably illegal in certain areas of the world that real human beings might not agree with doing, and that could spoil some people.

There's always going to be a difference between the machine and human mind though, in terms of actual intimacy an emotionality and having someone to actually have a relationship with. The reason why is because, it will be outrageously risky and cruel to build a sentient, self-aware machine, and it's not going to behave exactly like a human unless it's both sentient and self-aware, so I'm thinking the invention of self-aware machines will be illegal for similar reasons as a combination of slavery and biological weapon-producing is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 05:59 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Sorry. I’m kind of venturing into a general AI conversation here but I have a good read for you on the topic when you get some free time. It’s a long read but worth it (and you seem to have an interest in the topic as do I).

The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence - Wait But Why

AI has the potential to completely reshape our world every bit as much (if not more so) than the internet did and you are correct that we aren’t ready for it. A lot of people from Mark Zuckerberg to Elon Musk have gone on record as saying that we need to start preparing for this and congress needs to jump in with regulations (something Musk is normally against). No one is listening though.

Musk stated in an interview at SxSW a few months back that he’s seen the cutting edge of AI research and “it scares the hell out of him”.
I think it is a bit late to lament that. Computer and communications technology has already irreparably changed us (IMO, for the worse). There are several videos of the tech giant CEOs lamenting their inventions and products (smartphones, PCs, internet, etc). They state that the profound changes that have come to pass was not their intention. Too late. The genie is out of the bottle (or Pandora's Box is open). We're in for a penny and a pound...

Old 09-27-2018, 07:43 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,732,259 times
In this and several other "sexy robot" types of threads, numerous people have said that the idea of sex with a robot seems weird or disgusting or creepy, etc. So I'm wondering, how many of you recall the episode of Star Trek Next Gen when Tasha Yar had sex with Commander Data? Did that revelation strike you as weird/creepy etc. back when you were watching it? Or is it just now that sex with robots is becoming a reality, that the you are feeling the "creepy" factor? Do you think back on that episode and have a different feeling about it? (Of course sci-fi is full of sex-with-robot types of themes (Westworld and Humans being some of the more recent), so if you didn't see the Star Trek episode, you can fill in the blank with whatever comparable robot/android sex suits your fancy). I'm basically just wondering if your feeling of "that's creepy" applies to sci-fi too, or just to the fact that this "futuristic" stuff is now becoming real.

(And, as I pointed out earlier, "sci-fi stuff" of all sorts will be gettin' real really, really fast now, so buckle your seatbelts.)

Old 09-27-2018, 12:46 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,629 times
A vibrating rubber phallus is a robot. What's the big deal.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:53 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
If that were to happen then normal humans would rebel against the AIs and outlaw them. We would then form a police task force to hunt down the remaining AIs. What should we call this new police force?
Hmmm, sounds like a good plot for a movie...

Old 09-27-2018, 12:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I don't understand the controversy. What's the problem? Sex with inanimate objects is quite common and has been so for many centuries.

There is no reason whatsoever for any level of government to get involved with this business.
I mostly agree, except that I think there should be a sanitation program. Similar to restaurant inspections and standards.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
A vibrating rubber phallus is a robot. What's the big deal.
A lot of Christian Right people would tell you it not in God's will for anybody to fool with such disgusting objects. It sure won't produce babies for God.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:42 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It’ll be featured on a future episode of the show Dirty Jobs

Maybe it’s not too bad paying a gig

San Francisco is paying over 70k and great benefits to their poop patrol that clean up homeless poop

Of course that’s a government job ...
https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...-a-year-2018-8
Making 70k in San Francisco is like making 30k in Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Dallas

Old 09-27-2018, 08:00 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Only a complete LOSER with mental health issues would even consider going to a plastic doll brothel.

I'm sure Libs will want to unionize these inanimate objects and make up a new term so latex discrimination is eliminated.

Must be a ton of mentally ill losers because they seem to be very popular.

It is not my cup of tea but seriously if someone wants to go there, who cares? The far right and the feminists on the left just can't let things be.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:49 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
A lot of Christian Right people would tell you it not in God's will for anybody to fool with such disgusting objects. It sure won't produce babies for God.
I tend to vote libertarian, I could give a rats as$ about peoples beliefs in sky ghosts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
View detailed profiles of: