Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:41 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

No it isn't.

Just yesterday, the wife and I were out for a walk and encountered two cops on segways. We had a brief conversation with them about how those contraptions work and if they felt comfortable cruising the streets in such an open vehicle. They were pleasant and we both kept our IDs in our pockets.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sometimes, and sometimes not. There are cases where people get pulled over, not for breaking the law, but for "looking suspicious". By "looking suspicious" I mean being in a place where you're allowed to be, but some people find your presence there to be "suspicious" or they don't want you there. Sometimes you don't have to be breaking the law to get an encounter with the police.

its unfortunate but true. sometimes people get pulled over for DWB or DWT or DWM. one video i saw the cop said the license plate light was too dirty as the reason for pulling the driver over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No it isn't.

Just yesterday, the wife and I were out for a walk and encountered two cops on segways. We had a brief conversation with them about how those contraptions work and if they felt comfortable cruising the streets in such an open vehicle. They were pleasant and we both kept our IDs in our pockets.

and encounters with police are for the most part pleasant like this one. but there are cops out there that have the attitude that they run the city, and they are the law, that civilians have to do what they are told by the cops. and those are the ones that cause the problems.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:22 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
its unfortunate but true. sometimes people get pulled over for DWB or DWT or DWM. one video i saw the cop said the license plate light was too dirty as the reason for pulling the driver over.

and encounters with police are for the most part pleasant like this one. but there are cops out there that have the attitude that they run the city, and they are the law, that civilians have to do what they are told by the cops. and those are the ones that cause the problems.
I really do think most cops are good people (just like most people are good overall), but it's easy for the relatively few bad apples to ruin the community's trust. The only remedy for that is for the police community to stop handling them with kid gloves and swiftly and seriously hold them accountable.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:56 AM

1,037 posts, read 434,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

In some state you are REQUIRED to give such info. In some, you don't, THEN the police CAN take you to the station until they find out who you are.
If you are not required to show it, then what is the legal reason to take them the station?

Old 09-22-2018, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Cops are too damn nosey.

If I’m driving, I’ll show ID. Otherwise, I’m not showing ID or answering a single question.

And don’t ask where I’m going or where I’m coming from. Not answering that either.
I was pulled over by an Ohio Highway Patrol officer once. Asked for I.D./Registration, of course complied.

He asked me where I was going, I replied, to work.

I waited for him to tell me the reason for the stop/seizure. I didn't ask or make like it was illegal in the first place.

He said, and I'll try to quote, "You were weaving some, plus you were going 55 in a 65 zone"!

I suppose I may have been weaving "slightly", had hay fever and trying to drive while wiping my nose. Could not have been that much out of center and never touched the fog line. The 55 reference may have confused others but I knew what it meant. IMO a valid Traffic stop. The HP officer was courteous and professional.

After verifying my info he said, all is good, have a nice day! I wished him the same.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:32 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
What ever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? Unless there's legitimate reason to believe that a citizen is up to no good or wanted by police, there is no reason to treat people like potential criminals.
"there is no reason to treat people like potential criminals."

Nothing like OVER exaggerating!

They were stopped FOR A LEGITIMATE reason, usually a traffic violation like burned out light, expired tag, etc.

So, you think asking someone their name is "treat people like potential criminals."?

Our country is in MORE trouble then I thought!

Old 09-22-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That’s what pisses me off about them STILL handing out tickets for not having proof of insurance or registrations.

They know all of that stuff before they even pull you over once they run the plate. The insurance company reports any termination of insurance to the states immediately after it happens. All the cops need to ask for us driver’s license. Nothing else.

Yeah, that’s it.

You people are simply astonishing at how obsequious you are to authority.

Bingo!

"They know all of that stuff before they even pull you over once they run the plate"

You haven't a clue!

Old 09-22-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I really do think most cops are good people (just like most people are good overall), but it's easy for the relatively few bad apples to ruin the community's trust. The only remedy for that is for the police community to stop handling them with kid gloves and swiftly and seriously hold them accountable.

There is a TV reality show called "Live P.D." on A&E. MANY people on hers should watch it and get EDUCATED instead of all the BS that pass off on here.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
I was pulled over by an Ohio Highway Patrol officer once. Asked for I.D./Registration, of course complied.

He asked me where I was going, I replied, to work.

I waited for him to tell me the reason for the stop/seizure. I didn't ask or make like it was illegal in the first place.

He said, and I'll try to quote, "You were weaving some, plus you were going 55 in a 65 zone"!

I suppose I may have been weaving "slightly", had hay fever and trying to drive while wiping my nose. Could not have been that much out of center and never touched the fog line. The 55 reference may have confused others but I knew what it meant. IMO a valid Traffic stop. The HP officer was courteous and professional.

After verifying my info he said, all is good, have a nice day! I wished him the same.

" plus you were going 55 in a 65 zone" "The 55 reference may have confused others but I knew what it meant."

Obviously you DON'T.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" plus you were going 55 in a 65 zone" "The 55 reference may have confused others but I knew what it meant."

Obviously you DON'T.
Obviously I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies