Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:50 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People who criticize the police usually do questionable things themselves. They are just pissed that they can't get away with it.

Funny how that works.
You mean like me walking when I got harassed?

Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
About two months ago, I arrived at work at 4 AM and a patroller was up the hill. The officer saw me and proceeded in my direction. I dug my company ID out of my neck wallet and by the time he had reached me, I was holding my ID up next to my face and greeted him. He checked my ID, received my explanation why I was there, and thanked me for showing ID like that. We then went on our different ways.

One of the things about that encounter is that since I was digging my ID out of my neck wallet, my hands were clearly visible to him the entire time. On the other hand, I recall once YEARS ago when a deputy was responding to my mother's house alarm, my ID was in my jeans pocket and asked for permission before I reached for it.

SHRUG, I am use to producing ID, whether automatically or asked for it. From my time in the service, especially working in military ship yards and in intelligence. As one of my Captains said, you don't wait to be asked, you just produce it and show it up front for if you do wait to be asked......you get overrun by those behind you who do know to show their ID up front.

Should it not be like that? Hard to say for if it isn't, there are certainly those who will take advantage of such. It reminds me of in the 80s when those of decades before were shocked that they could not drive on to a naval base just to look around, go down to the docks to see America's might. As my senior chief pointed out, it was that kind of openness that got us the Walkers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Anthony_Walker .

Similar thing here. Given what bad people know now, does one really want to be totally trusting of everyone? Never mind about spies, just think about in terms of human trafficking as one example.

Good Point!

It is a good point for one of the things that the police will ask in an encounter is where one is going. Hence, I make it a style of behavior to always to be able to say where I am going if asked, even if I am going nowhere such as just a drive in the country.... or see one of my lovers, and not to have to struggle for answers.

when you are entering secure facilities, you do have to ID yourself. and sometimes you have an encounter with LEOs when doing that. i have no problem with giving my ID at that point.

its when i am out and about in public, doing things that are completely legal, and have some power hungry cop ask me for my ID just because he wants to see it. sorry officer i am not giving up my fourth amendment rights because you are on a power trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't care what you said. They are not my government masters. You sound brain-washed like some anti-government conspiracy theorist. It takes 1 minute to show them ID. If you feel compelled after the fact, then make a complaint/law suit/whatever.

If you have done nothing wrong, how hard is it to show ID? It's not like anyone will be asked to show ID from a police officer everyday. The scenario probably happens once in a blue moon, so what is the big deal about 1 minute of inconvenience?

Many of these issues with IDs and police, particularly among black people, escalate into something much worse because of pride. People like you and your "government masters" attitude are making a mountain out of a molehill, and are why these incidents blow up into something that could have easily been avoided!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Just show your damn ID and or give the necessary info and be over with it! If you’re clean, it should only take a minute, SMH 🤦*♂️

TBH, I’m glad law enforcement ID people randomly without reason.

if you guys want to give up your rights, go ahead, i refuse to do that myself.

just to remind you of your fourth amendment rights;

Quote:
Article [IV] (Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure)

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

understand that when you give up your rights freely, you lose those freedoms. if during a traffic stop, a LEO asked to search your car, would you let them? remember they are not going to be gentle with your stuff. and what happens if they find something illegal that the previous owner of the car left behind? or if they find something illegal that a friend of yours left in the car? YOU can be arrested for that, and convicted of something you didnt do. and your lawyer cant help you with that because youlet the cops search, making the search legal.

dont give up your rights people, make the LEOs follow their oath to support and defend the constitution. and its not about trying to get away with anything, in fact i used to think like you guys do, the cops ask for my ID i give it up. but its gotten to the point where the cops have gotten so used to being able to violate the constitution that they dont stop with your fourth amendment rights.

for instance if you want to video a building, while standing on a public sidewalk, one of the first things some of these power hungry badge wearers will ask is that you turn off your camera, and some will ask that you delete the video you took. they will lie to you and tell you that it is illegal to video the building. some will even ask to see your phone or camera and even try to delete any video you took, even if it has nothing to do with that encounter. all of these are violations of the first amendment.

if we dont stand up right now and make the government respect our rights under the constitution, we are going to lose those rights, so be warned people.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People who criticize the police usually do questionable things themselves. They are just pissed that they can't get away with it.

Funny how that works.

Indeed. I simply said that I don't have an issue with the police, and got personally attacked at least a 1/2 dozen times in this topic for saying it.

Where's there's smoke there's always fire.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:21 AM

The thing is, when you let the police abuse their power one way, they will start abusing it other ways. It is human nature. Many cops already act like they are better than the public. The abuse of power needs to stop.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:03 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Police can ask for ID for any reason.
No, they cannot, there are some instances where you are not required to give your name or ID to police.

People should be teaching their kids their individual rights when it comes to dealing with police, instead of instructing them to just OBEY and COMPLY.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The thing is, when you let the police abuse their power one way, they will start abusing it other ways. It is human nature. Many cops already act like they are better than the public. The abuse of power needs to stop.
This is due to them being in a position of such authority, its not really something a person can alter, its just human nature to abuse power and authority after so long.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:10 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
You can keep your interaction with police to a minimum if you follow the law.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Somewhat. Some cops are on a power trip. Just like the one who harassed me while I was walking. I had broken no law. I was not in a crime area. They were not looking for a old white man walking with a cane. He thought I was an easy target.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Just OBEY and COMPLY...right? LOL

Old 09-21-2018, 10:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is due to them being in a position of such authority, its not really something a person can alter, its just human nature to abuse power and authority after so long.

yep. we have to teach the LEOs that their authority derives from WE THE PEOPLE. we give them the authority to uphold the laws, not make new ones as they see fit. we also have to make them understand that they are the servants of the people, not the masters of the people.

Quote:

really? lets take a scenario here, you are out in public, on a public sidewalk, and you are videoing lets say the federal building in your area. a perfectly legal thing to do, in fact it is a constitutionally protected activity as ruled upon by the supreme court. while you are videoing this building, a LEO comes up and asks you what you are doing. you tell them you are taking video of the building. the LEO then orders you to stop filming an erase the video or you will be arrested.

so who is violating the laws here now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies