Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 11:50 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's none of your business what language people speak out in public. Maybe they're talking about how unpleasant you are.

You don't like your neighborhood? Move. They're not going anywhere and if they're here legally, they don't have to.
It is my business. Maybe they are saying offensive things, how would an American know? They are not necessarily here legally nor should I have no say in who comes here legally. They can move. I was where I am long before they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It is my business. Maybe they are saying offensive things, how would an American know? They are not necessarily here legally nor should I have no say in who comes here legally. They can move. I was where I am long before they were.
It's none of your business. Just like it's nobody's business what you're talking to people about when you're out in public.

Your neighborhood is changing. Either live with it or move. Those are your choices. Staying there and complaining about your neighbors and your community isn't going to change things.

But know this. No matter where you go you'll be miserable because being miserable is a choice you made when you became so committed to your narrow view of what your world should look like.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
And most people aren't as upset by this as you are.
How do you know how Americans really feel about foreign speaking people moving into their neighborhoods who probably aren't even legal? They might not say anything but they go to great expense and even debt to move away from it.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's none of your business. Just like it's nobody's business what you're talking to people about when you're out in public.

Your neighborhood is changing. Either live with it or move. Those are your choices. Staying there and complaining about your neighbors and your community isn't going to change things.

But know this. No matter where you go you'll be miserable because being miserable is a choice you made when you became so committed to your narrow view of what your world should look like.
It is my business son. You and mostly foreign language speaking illegals don't get to decide for everyone else. Americans get to decide if they want a multilingual country or not, and who and from where and how many people can legally reside here.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:00 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Your business is determining if people you don't know are saying pleasant or unpleasant things? What line of work are you in, exactly?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:02 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
How do you know how Americans really feel about foreign speaking people moving into their neighborhoods who probably aren't even legal? They might not say anything but they go to great expense and even debt to move away from it.

I'm an American. I live with a non-American and sometimes he converses in his other native language (Irish). I don't shake my fist angrily and take to my keyboard when he does it.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
It is my business son. You and mostly foreign language speaking illegals don't get to decide for everyone else. Americans get to decide if they want a multilingual country or not, and who and from where and how many people can legally reside here.
It's already been decided. That train has long left the station. Deal with it instead of acting like you're in charge of anything other than yourself, because you're not.

And you're not doing a great job with that either if you're going to whine about people speaking a different language out in public.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Okay, so do as they did and move. They don't have to go anywhere. They aren't the ones who are miserable.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:21 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'm going to tell you the same thing I've chatised Oldglory several times on the board - it is a private conversation between other people, and it is none of your darned business about what they talk about nor the language they speak among themselves if it doesn't involve you.
And, how do you know it doesn't involve someone who is nearby? For all they know, they could be mocking a person right in front of them.

People who speak a foreign language in front of non-speakers of that language often develop a false sense of confidence---meaning they assume no one else around understands them so they say vile things about others.

For example, a few years back we were eating at a restaurant. At this place, you place your order with the cashier, take a number and place it on your table. While we were waiting for our food, the workers in the open kitchen were speaking Spanish loudly enough for us to hear. What they were doing was calling the cashier, who was black, a word that means w*ore in Spanish. They would look at her, say the word, then laugh. Meanwhile, the manager, who didn't speak Spanish, was in earshot.

You better believe that I got in touch with HQ about the incident. The manager called me and had a hard time believing that his workers behaved that way because he trained them so well When I told him that he should require them to speak English while on duty, he uttered some nonsense about the first amendment. Then he said he would "discipline" the workers. If I had to guess, I'm sure he still allowed them to continue speaking Spanish and no doubt, they were saying some choice things about him within earshot. Needless to say, we never returned to that particular restaurant.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Your business is determining if people you don't know are saying pleasant or unpleasant things? What line of work are you in, exactly?
Strawman.

Let's all play dumb and pretend this isn't really about mostly foreign language speaking illegals entering and living in America, and to a lessor extent other immigration policies that need to be changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies