Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 10:03 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Oh, so like how the quakers did?
Comparing the situation now with the 17th century is dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 12:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Which items in Walmart have packaging that is only in Spanish? I ask because I've never seen this in any store and I find it hard to believe that large manufacturers would even have US labels like that.
A lot of products now have packaging where the labels are in English on one side of the box and in Spanish on the other side. Quite often these days, you see displays stacked with the Spanish side facing out instead of the English side.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:41 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
I'm typing this on the subway right now and can hear (within my immediate earshot) Haitian Creole, French, Arabic, and Spanish being spoken. Some heads on this thread would likely pop off if they were here!

Old 10-02-2018, 01:45 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I'm typing this on the subway right now and can hear (within my immediate earshot) Haitian Creole, French, Arabic, and Spanish being spoken. Some heads on this thread would likely pop off if they were here!
Is it disturbing you in any way? Does your skin crawl? Do your hands get shakey?

Old 10-02-2018, 02:15 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Is it disturbing you in any way? Does your skin crawl? Do your hands get shakey?
You mean the reactions Spanish speakers have when anyone mentions the possibility of declaring English the official language? You forgot frothing at the mouth, accusations of racism, and anecdotal references to things that happened 200 years ago.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:26 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
You mean the reactions Spanish speakers have when anyone mentions the possibility of declaring English the official language? You forgot frothing at the mouth, accusations of racism, and anecdotal references to things that happened 200 years ago.

Ain't that the truth!

Old 10-02-2018, 05:56 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Better the devil you know

"According to the 2016 American Community Survey, a project of the United States Census Bureau, the languages spoken at home by the most people older than five years of age are:
  1. English only – 229.7 million
  2. Spanish – 40.5 million
  3. Chinese (including Mandarin and Cantonese) – 3.4 million
  4. Tagalog (including Filipino) – 1.7 million
  5. Vietnamese – 1.5 million
  6. Arabic – 1.2 million
  7. French – 1.2 million
  8. Korean – 1.1 million"
& these are only the languages with 1 million or more speakers in the US. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langua..._United_States for the complete list.

For trade, diplomatic & intelligence/military reasons, as well as cultural reasons, we need to have Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Arabic & Korean language skills. We might be able to dispense with French, but they've been our allies for a long time. It's better to have the linguistic ability, & not need to use it; than to need it & not have it.

The World has shrunk, thanks to modern travel & communications, but the World is still an uncertain place. We need to watch & learn, & understand how our allies & enemies will react in any given situation.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:17 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
I guess I'm late to the party, but I wouldn't say we're going overboard to accommodate the Hispanic population, I'd say we might be doing too much politically to accommodate illegal immigrants. I can understand why people will risk life and limb to come to this country if they think they have an opportunity to provide for themselves and their families, but the law is what it is. I think Democrats are willing to bend over backwards to accommodate illegal immigrants because they need another voting bloc beholden to them every 2-4 years.
The problem with your assertion is that no matter how much this LIE is spread illegals still can't vote in our elections.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
"According to the 2016 American Community Survey, a project of the United States Census Bureau, the languages spoken at home by the most people older than five years of age are:
  1. English only – 229.7 million
  2. Spanish – 40.5 million
  3. Chinese (including Mandarin and Cantonese) – 3.4 million
  4. Tagalog (including Filipino) – 1.7 million
  5. Vietnamese – 1.5 million
  6. Arabic – 1.2 million
  7. French – 1.2 million
  8. Korean – 1.1 million"
& these are only the languages with 1 million or more speakers in the US. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langua..._United_States for the complete list.

For trade, diplomatic & intelligence/military reasons, as well as cultural reasons, we need to have Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Arabic & Korean language skills. We might be able to dispense with French, but they've been our allies for a long time. It's better to have the linguistic ability, & not need to use it; than to need it & not have it.

The World has shrunk, thanks to modern travel & communications, but the World is still an uncertain place. We need to watch & learn, & understand how our allies & enemies will react in any given situation.

Are you seriously stating that all Americans should learn all of those languages? You've got to be kidding me! Besides, if you don't use it you lose it!

Old 10-02-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
The problem with your assertion is that no matter how much this LIE is spread illegals still can't vote in our elections.

Of course they can't "legally" vote but there is evidence that some do. Go ahead and stick your head in the sand then. The Democrats are looking for future voters with open borders to make citizens of them in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies