Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 11:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, just as long as we continue to have illegal immigration from south of our border in large numbers and continue to allow that linquistic group to hold the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country Spanish will be on the increase not on the decrease. There are already enough of them here that have caused businesses to pander to them in Spanish. There didn't use to be a press 1 for English and 2 for Spanish on our phones either. Hispanics out of all linguistic groups continue to be adamant about speaking and wanting to be pandered to in Spanish. Stick your head in the sand if you want. I know what I hear and see every day.
You have no scientific data to show that Spanish is on the increase. I've produced two studies that show Spanish is in decline among Hispanics. Where is your data? Anecdotal evidence doesn't count.

If all you have are your personal opinions to back up your claims, you lose the debate. No judge or jury would agree with your arguments which are based on nothing other than your personal experiences and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 07:38 AM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You have no scientific data to show that Spanish is on the increase. I've produced two studies that show Spanish is in decline among Hispanics. Where is your data? Anecdotal evidence doesn't count.

If all you have are your personal opinions to back up your claims, you lose the debate. No judge or jury would agree with your arguments which are based on nothing other than your personal experiences and opinions.
That's like having to prove that water is wet. Obviously, with the continued influx of illegal aliens from south of our border Spanish will continue to be on rise. Spanish wasn't nearly as often heard decades ago nor a lot of the pandering by businesses in Spanish. Yes, my personal experiences do count as I have eyes and ears and I live in the southwest.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:02 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
And again, Spanish is in decline among Hispanics in the U.S., so your panicky tone about it seems a little ridiculous.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ion/636773001/
See, this has always been my point in these recurring discussions. This is not even something that's happening. Spanish is not a growing language. Most of the young people born in the U.S don't even speak Spanish. This is much ado about nothing. There's no reason to legally enforce language.

In 2050 when they allegedly become the largest demographic, they will not speak the Spanish language. So by then it'll be a completely meaningless classification. Most of the "Latinx" group are going to be regular English speaking white American people like actor Frankie Muniz from Malcolm in the Middle.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
See, this has always been my point in these recurring discussions. This is not even something that's happening. Spanish is not a growing language. Most of the young people born in the U.S don't even speak Spanish. This is much ado about nothing. There's no reason to legally enforce language.

In 2050 when they allegedly become the largest demographic, they will not speak the Spanish language. So by then it'll be a completely meaningless classification. Most of the "Latinx" group are going to be regular English speaking white American people like actor Frankie Muniz from Malcolm in the Middle.

Read my post #758 and Spanish speakers are the most adamant about retaining their native tongue even though many do learn English also.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:00 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Dumb people on this thread do not realize spanish speaking people predate english speaking people. SMH.
There werent that many in what is now the US.
In fact when white US settlers took California in the 1840s by force (without firing a shot) there were 2 dozen mexicans in the whole state. And were happy to now be americans because mexico wasnt doing a thing for them.

Outside of some parts of texas mexican influence in now US territory was minimal.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:03 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
Quote:

Your data is faulty thus your argument. It doesnt include illegals.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
We are absolutely going overboard to accommodate the Hispanic population. If I moved to Mexico or Colombia, it would be expected that I spoke Spanish. There is no coddling of English speakers in Latin America and Spain.

I am fluent in Spanish, but I am a non-native Spanish speaker. I saw the trend a couple of decades ago and decided that it would be wise to learn Spanish. Since my ancestry is Southern Italian, I have that Latin/Mediterranean look. I am often approached in restaurants in Spanish.

When my Southern Italian ancestors came to the United States about 100 years ago, they learned English. My grandparents generation were raised in Italian speaking households and they learned English in school. Their parents, my great grandparents were speaking English in public. My great grandparents understood that in order to survive in the United States, they had to speak English. They were happy to retain their Italian language in the home though.

I think Hispanics should try to retain the Spanish language for as many generations as possible. The Italians did a poor job of retaining their unique culture in the United States. Italian culture in the United States is now Jersey Shore.

That's how it seems to work with every other ethnic group in the United States. The Chinese learn English. Indians are often multilingual with English, Hindi, and maybe some other dialect like Bengali or Telugu.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
We are absolutely going overboard to accommodate the Hispanic population. If I moved to Mexico or Colombia, it would be expected that I spoke Spanish. There is no coddling of English speakers in Latin America and Spain.

I am fluent in Spanish, but I am a non-native Spanish speaker. I saw the trend a couple of decades ago and decided that it would be wise to learn Spanish. Since my ancestry is Southern Italian, I have that Latin/Mediterranean look. I am often approached in restaurants in Spanish.

When my Southern Italian ancestors came to the United States about 100 years ago, they learned English. My grandparents generation were raised in Italian speaking households and they learned English in school. Their parents, my great grandparents were speaking English in public. My great grandparents understood that in order to survive in the United States, they had to speak English. They were happy to retain their Italian language in the home though.

I think Hispanics should try to retain the Spanish language for as many generations as possible. The Italians did a poor job of retaining their unique culture in the United States. Italian culture in the United States is now Jersey Shore.

That's how it seems to work with every other ethnic group in the United States. The Chinese learn English. Indians are often multilingual with English, Hindi, and maybe some other dialect like Bengali or Telugu.

It's ok for them to retain their Spanish but on the other hand they should speak English out in mainstream, IMO. The difference between your Italian ancestors and those "immigrants" from south of our border is that they have been coming here illegally for decades now. Not so with the European immigrants. As you said, they learned English and spoke it out in public for the most part.

In keeping with this topic, part of the problem is that we keep pandering to them in Spanish and that's not a recipe for linguistic assimilation. The European immigrants of the past were not pandered to in their different languages forever.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:41 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's ok for them to retain their Spanish but on the other hand they should speak English out in mainstream, IMO. The difference between your Italian ancestors and those "immigrants" from south of our border is that they have been coming here illegally for decades now. Not so with the European immigrants. As you said, they learned English and spoke it out in public for the most part.

In keeping with this topic, part of the problem is that we keep pandering to them in Spanish and that's not a recipe for linguistic assimilation. The European immigrants of the past were not pandered to in their different languages forever.

There are immigrants from Latin America who come here legally. There is a bad problem with illegal immigration from Latin America. The Italians in the 1800s and early 1900s didn't come here illegally. I sense that my great grandparents wanted to speak English in public. There was a reason they left Italy, and they felt that the promise given to them in the United States was so great that they would do what it would take to be a part of the United States, and part of assimilation into the United States was learning English. The Italians weren't special either. Every other group from Europe did the same thing.

As a nation, the United States has done a terrible job enforcing immigration laws. If you are not a legal citizen and you are found to be in the United States, you should be deported to your country of origin no questions asked. You are not a citizen and you have no rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies