Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 10:49 AM

30,200 posts, read 23,603,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As I understand it, The Federal Government expects states to administer SNAP.

Cal Fresh is California’s version of SNAP.

An able bodied person, without dependents, is limited to 3 months, every 3 years. Otherwise, they are required to work or train for work at least 80 hours a month.
Wrong. There are no such requirements in the state of CA. You do not have to work, and you are not limited to "3 months, every 3 years".

As I have said before, a couple of years ago, my sister's husband almost died from an illness, and she has MS and cannot work a regular job. While he was ill in the hospital, and there was no income coming in, she looked into benefits. I also looked into benefits to try to help.

While I was looking for information, I got curious. I asked a variety of questions, not just for my sister, but for people in general. I was told, specifically, because I ASKED, that there are people in California who have been on food stamps for over 20 years. You can remain on food stamps your entire life as long as your income never goes above a certain threshold, being able bodied did not mean anything to them. All that matters is that you don't earn more than a certain amount, (which is pretty low...if I remember correctly, something like anything from $0 - $1000 for a single person). And that was by someone who works in that department.

Anyone who wants to call this "anecdotal evidence" is free to contact anyone who makes decisions on granting food stamps in CA. Ask them: "So, if I'm a single person, no kids, don't have a job, what will I get?"

Ask them. Go on...do it.

Edit: Just looked it up. Apparently the max for a single person is just over $2000/month. The math on that comes out to someone who makes $12.56/hr.

http://mycalfresh.org/the-basics/

Also: http://www.cdss.ca.gov/cdssweb/entre...lish/CF285.pdf

Page 7: They "may" tell you that you have to find, get, and keep a job or be part of a work program. (Students have to work at least 20 hours a week to get benefits, but those who are not students have no hard, fast rule about work requirements.) Verbatim:

Quote:
"The County may assign you to a work program. They will tell you if it is voluntary or if you must do the work program. If you have a mandatory work activity and you do not do it, your benefits may be lowered or stopped.
You may not be eligible for CalFresh if you have recently quit a job without a good reason."
"May" does not mean 'will".

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 09-22-2018 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 04:11 PM

30,008 posts, read 18,838,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Desirability of the state drives competition to live here ... and that is what prices low income out of housing markets. You know: good old American capitalism? You don’t like capitalism? What are you, some kinda Kommie?
The desirability of Cali has dropped drastically from the time Republicans ran the state till now due to the wave of poverty and homelessness the policies of the Dems have given to Cali. It used to be the most desirable state before the loonies outnumbered the sane.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:15 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,116,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Earlier this year, the Los Angeles Times ran the following article: Why is liberal California the poverty capital of America?. California's rate of poverty is higher than Mississippi's or West Virginia's. There is no incentive for recipients of welfare in CA to work, according to the article, and 55% of immigrants and 30% of natives are dependent on it. Where do these people live in ultra-expensive CA? Do they shack up 10 to a room? Who are they? Are they established Ashkenazi Jewish families, Chinese entrepreneurial types, or... what?
How curious that your wondering leads you to provide two examples that hint of bias. My impression of poverty is that you'd be less likely to find it in Jewish or Chinese families.

I'll make an intuitive guess that people just gravitate to California as a land of hope, a place to make a fresh start. Then they get there and find out that it isn't going to necessarily come true.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:24 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,085,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The desirability of Cali has dropped drastically from the time Republicans ran the state till now due to the wave of poverty and homelessness the policies of the Dems have given to Cali. It used to be the most desirable state before the loonies outnumbered the sane.
Still see lots of out of state plates here. Still got mountains and oceans.
Probably the whole suburbia craze died out. I can see it changing here in L.A.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Still see lots of out of state plates here. Still got mountains and oceans.
Probably the whole suburbia craze died out. I can see it changing here in L.A.
Climatically, Cali is by far the best state. Geographically they might also be the best state. It is the best state for agriculture. So outside of the terrible governance, it is the best state but yes they are killing suburbia by driving away the middle class.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:23 PM

8 posts, read 2,473 times
California is smart - no not for letting people stay on welfare, but for telling people to only take good jobs. In other words if I can stay on Cal-Fresh for $12 an hour, I don't need to drive for uber and make $4 an hour after taxes, depreciation etc.

I don't need to work for Amazon @ $7 an hour with no breaks nor health insurance.

The United States is a shi## hole of a country that offers third world jobs. So the state making the safety net strong is a good thing.

You guys are living in the past when the US was a first world country. It's a hell hole folks and it's not ever going to be great again. You should be pushing your own states to improve the net.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Ok, agree. However the Repubs have taken the economy and built China at YOUR expense.

Nobody leaves their high paying job for the astounding quality of life in solidly Republican Kansas. But lots of people in Kansas created jobs for China, while now have to go to work for Amazon or uber.

We are a completely crashed country and Trump is proof. Dems and Rep still in charge so it's not going to improve. It's my hope CA would secede from what is a failing and going nowhere former superpower. But that's not going to happen. They are still driving their own agenda however.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:45 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,205,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Its been a while since we’ve had a a post that was both anti semitic and racist rolled into one!
How is that post either of these things?

Anyway there is a huge amount of fraud in these programs.

They are exploited by illegals, other immigrants as well, who hide their income from the government in order to stack up benefit upon benefit.

Thats why you can find these ragtag mexican garderner types (any manual labor) driving a 40K SUV.

They don't report any income.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockawaytoday View Post
Ok, agree. However the Repubs have taken the economy and built China at YOUR expense.

Nobody leaves their high paying job for the astounding quality of life in solidly Republican Kansas. But lots of people in Kansas created jobs for China, while now have to go to work for Amazon or uber.

We are a completely crashed country and Trump is proof. Dems and Rep still in charge so it's not going to improve. It's my hope CA would secede from what is a failing and going nowhere former superpower. But that's not going to happen. They are still driving their own agenda however.
Well not at my expense since I worked in China at an exorbitant salary but yeah, we helped them out tremendously and now they're a competitor....I like that.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well not at my expense since I worked in China at an exorbitant salary but yeah, we helped them out tremendously and now they're a competitor....I like that.
Uh, I would say they aren't a competitor. We, the US, are not in the game. Our team has been knocked out of the bracket.

Spin it all you want, Johnny in Kansas has declining life expectancy and standard of living while his counterpart in China has an increase in standard of living and life expectancy. And this was brought to Johnny by no fault of this own courtesy of the US Government which is run and managed by Democrats and Republicans.

Johnny is an idiot and doesn't know the source of his problems. But one day he will awaken. I hope like heck I have enough money to be far away from this country when he does. Donald Trump is him "coming to".. When he finds out how far he may have to fall, all hell may break loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies