Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2018, 06:58 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
OR

Leave it to Beaver, etc. are NOT documentaries.

A lot of people seem misguided and deluded about what life back then for the American family was like. The nostalgia they have is not the past as it was - it's the past as they want to remember it being like. If you don't believe that, then listen to what Jerry Mathers (The Beaver) had to say about this 50 years later (60 years before today).
People in the 50's didn't abandon their kids like people do now. The welfare state, the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:02 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
People in the 50's didn't abandon their kids like people do now. The welfare state, the gift that keeps on giving.
Abandon their kids? What are you talking about?

Old 09-23-2018, 07:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You didn’t know my parents did you? I was sent to live with a divorced grandfather in Texas in the sticks at 13 I was a good student in Chicago
We won’t talk about the beatings With mom I mean unconscious on the floor after beating my head on the frig with bloody claw marks on neck
We did not have CPS
God bless CPS
They stopped feeding me and my baby sister we almost died
I loved leave it to beaver
It’s what I wanted to be
You think I make this stuff up don’t you

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-23-2018 at 07:19 PM..

Old 09-23-2018, 07:27 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You didn’t know my parents did you? I was sent to live with a divorced grandfather in Texas in the sticks at 13 I was a good student in Chicago
We won’t talk about the beatings I mean unconscious on the floor after beating my head on the frig with bloody claw marks on neck
We did not have CPS
God bless CPS
They stopped feeding me and my baby sister we almost died
I loved leave it to beaver
It’s what I wanted to be
You think I make this stuff up don’t you

Exactly!

Every GD thing that exists today happened back in the 1950's, only weaker laws and or the nearly universal dominate social mores that dictated people "mind their business" prevented action.

Men raped/abused their daughters, children were horribly abused by both sexes of parents, and so it goes.

Choices for intervention were few; dominate theme was same as it had been for generations; that the family should sort its own dirty linen privately. If a man couldn't keep his hands off his kids out of violence or hate, then they should be "removed" and sent to a family member elsewhere. Again this was a decision not from courts, but within the family.

When the legal system did step in things were often no better. Ella Fitzgerald is but one story of famous and hundreds (if not thousands of not) minors who ended up being put into care what was not much better (and often worse) than what they knew at home.

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/23/w...ld-s-life.html

The 1950's and the so called "perfect American family" is largely a crock of shyte. Maybe things rolled that way for a good number, but just right down the street, or a few blocks away in another home.....

We know now it was all farce because those who lived through it are telling their side of things. This and or records long sealed and or forgotten are now seeing light of day.

Then you have sad stories like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_in..._(Philadelphia)

Old 09-23-2018, 07:54 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Exactly!

Every GD thing that exists today happened back in the 1950's, only weaker laws and or the nearly universal dominate social mores that dictated people "mind their business" prevented action.

Men raped/abused their daughters, children were horribly abused by both sexes of parents, and so it goes.

Choices for intervention were few; dominate theme was same as it had been for generations; that the family should sort its own dirty linen privately. If a man couldn't keep his hands off his kids out of violence or hate, then they should be "removed" and sent to a family member elsewhere. Again this was a decision not from courts, but within the family.

When the legal system did step in things were often no better. Ella Fitzgerald is but one story of famous and hundreds (if not thousands of not) minors who ended up being put into care what was not much better (and often worse) than what they knew at home.

The 1950's and the so called "perfect American family" is largely a crock of shyte. Maybe things rolled that way for a good number, but just right down the street, or a few blocks away in another home.....

We know now it was all farce because those who lived through it are telling their side of things. This and or records long sealed and or forgotten are now seeing light of day.

Then you have sad stories like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_in..._(Philadelphia)
How very sad for you to make up stories like these just to make yourself feel better.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Exactly!

Mom did the beatings not grandad he was a good guy and helped me enormously

Old 09-23-2018, 08:29 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You white folks and your hijinks.

Beaver’s best friend’s name was Whitey, so I guess that bolsters the OP’s argment.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 PM

417 posts, read 190,988 times
[quote=phantompilot;53165474]Nobody forced anyone to do anything. Women had the same freedoms as men for the most part, but different roles and expectations. That wasn't a generation that denied the differences between the sexes.

"For the most part" means they didn't have the same freedoms.
"Different roles and expectations"? Women were oppressed and repressed, which is a type of force.

In what case, "what" was worse than today. Name one thing.

Blatant discrimination was worse than today. Blatant sexism was worse than today. That's just two things.

But that's not the important point ; anxiety has been a problem for far longer than the 1950s, and women, being the more neurotic sex, are more likely to have issues with anxiety.

Women are simply strong enough to admit there is a problem and seek help. Men are taught that to admit there is a problem and to seek help is weakness.

Republicans don't want laws to "discriminate" ......that's the whole point. Conservatives are generally opposed to laws that create "special" classes of people and provide them with advantages or privileges not extended to anyone else - which is what the LEFT wants...that's why they leverage "Identity Politics" to create groups of "victims" to whom they can dole out this special favorable treatment like candy in exchange for votes.

Examples?

Old 09-23-2018, 08:41 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
And growing up in San Francisco in the early 1990s was not like Full House.

Movies and TV are escapism because real life is depressing. Anyone who doesn't understand this 70 years after the advent of mass media is kind of a blockhead.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:52 PM

417 posts, read 190,988 times
Quote:
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
How very sad for you to make up stories like these just to make yourself feel better.

Maybe if you cover your eyes and ignore them, the reality of these "stories" will just go away?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies