Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:31 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I was getting a haircut the other day from a new person. The woman started talking about politics, and it quickly became clear she’s a Trump supporter. Without saying a word, I stood up and walked out of her shop mid haircut. I feel GREAT about this. Conservative I get. Trump supporter? Supporter of a sexual assaulter, con man, traitor, and more? No ma’am, I’ll take my business elsewhere. You’re not even going to get one single dollar out of my wallet if I can help it.
Hope you paid for your half haircut. Politics is no excuse to steal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Hope you paid for your half haircut. Politics is no excuse to steal.
You got that right.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:26 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
This “stealing” angle is too much. You people are serious? I probably ended up making this woman money in the long run by not just sitting silently, paying for my haircut, and never returning which is probably what many would do. Instead of doing that, I let her know in no uncertain terms it’s probably best to keep your politics out of your place of business in the times we live in. It’s a lesson many should learn apparently.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:31 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
This “stealing” angle is too much. You people are serious? I probably ended up making this woman money in the long run by not just sitting silently, paying for my haircut, and never returning which is probably what many would do. Instead of doing that, I let her know in no uncertain terms it’s probably best to keep your politics out of your place of business in the times we live in. It’s a lesson many should learn apparently.
I agree...you taught her a valuable lesson.

I have gotten many "god" stories in the chair but I put up with those. Even disgusting locker room talk and one guy who had a hard life (ex-con, boozer, but reformed...)......

All of those are human interest.

Trump.....not human interest. Deplorable. It would be the same as talking to me about Charles Manson or raping Priests. Not gonna fly.

Her "losses" were 5 or 10 minutes....I'll bet she spends hours a day praising the Orange One for free.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:48 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I agree...you taught her a valuable lesson.

I have gotten many "god" stories in the chair but I put up with those. Even disgusting locker room talk and one guy who had a hard life (ex-con, boozer, but reformed...)......

All of those are human interest.

Trump.....not human interest. Deplorable. It would be the same as talking to me about Charles Manson or raping Priests. Not gonna fly.

Her "losses" were 5 or 10 minutes....I'll bet she spends hours a day praising the Orange One for free.
I agree. I am a tolerant person who enjoys hearing a broad spectrum of opinion. I’m not a Christian, but I listen patiently if someone wants to talk to me about Jesus. I even prayed with my real estate agent because she asked if she could say a blessing when our offer was accepted and we closed on a house. I accepted her good intentions with the spirit in which they were given. It was a good lesson for my teen daughter who was present. If someone shares a conservative viewpoint on an issue, I will listen respectfully and consider their point of view. Where you stand depends on where you sit, and I get not everyone sits in the same seat I do. Policies that make sense for urban dwellers like me may be utter nonsense for rural people. Gun laws come to mind. But when someone starts talking positively about a vile human being who is on record bragging about sexually assaulting women - I’m sorry, I’m too much of a gentlemen to let that pass. I absolutely refuse to associate with anyone who thinks that’s ok. Start talking, and I’ll walk away.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:57 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
The WaPo ran an article about Taylor Gourmet closing. One of the discussions in the article was the owner attending a small business summit at the White House, hosted by Trump. The article did go on to say that the owner also attended similar meetings with the Obama administration as well as it being a favorite sandwich place of Obama.

The article really didn't know why the business failed. I can tell you as a resident around here, it's just not one of the "big name" places that people flock to. No advertising to speak of, if you've never been there you hardly know what it serves, etc. I have heard that the sandwiches were pretty good but there was never anything to pull me in there like other places. I think they just didn't get a lot of business and probably couldn't afford some of the high rent areas that they leased. They never really expanded out enough to have cushion for other locations not doing as well.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:22 AM

579 posts, read 367,483 times
Quote:

You could have accomplished that goal more effectively by simply saying "I don't want to talk about politics". But just getting up and walking out? The hairdresser probably thought you had some kind of mental problem where you just snap and become delusional, thinking that you're haircut is done and paid for.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:32 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:

That is good. Rationalize thievery. The woman can say what she wants, you can decide whether or not to go to her salon. But she provided a service and you walked out. The least you could have done is pay for the haircut instead of cutting and running.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:32 AM

579 posts, read 367,483 times
Quote:
The sign I’d hang on the door is that I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. That way pimps, drug dealers, and other undesirables would also understand I don’t do business with dregs. As I’ve said several times, conservative, Christian, Republican, etc. no problem. Supporter of a traitor, sexual assaulter, terrorizer of children? Hit the pavement. I don’t wittingly deal with your kind.

You can, but once you start cutting someone's hair, it's too late to refuse service. You will need to interview people first. Great way to go out of business, since no one is going to put up with that.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:39 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
I’m sorry, I’m too much of a gentlemen to let that pass. I absolutely refuse to associate with anyone who thinks that’s ok. Start talking, and I’ll walk away.

Where I come from guys don't run away from conversations. I can talk to anyone about anything and not get freaked out and have to leave the scene. What happened to so many men in America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies