Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:22 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
they don't want it!!!! hello!!! you can give a territory statehood when they have rejected it over and over.

by the way, they have also rejected indepedence......that shows you how dysfunctional the politics are down there.
The article states that in the recent referendum vote, (where only 23% voted, I guess similar to referendum votes in the Continental US) 97% wanted statehood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Trump should stick to his guns. If he insists that they shouldn't be a state. MAKE THEM INDEPENDENT!!!

We've been having the same arguments with Puerto Rico for a hundred years. It's not working. There is no reason for us to be holding on to Puerto Rico. Just end it already. Pull some strings, put pressure on Congress, and let Puerto Rico go!

We should finish rebuilding and then start the transition towards independence for Puerto Rico.

you can't make them independent by force.....they are U.S. Citizens......that means the U.S. Government can't take away their citizen by force.

statehood is not a right under the constitution...........so they are stuck being a territory, which is perfectly fine under the constitution. The U.S. Constitution recognizes states and territories.

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So Trump just said this for no reason at all right? Please. We're talking about Trumps statements. Your attempt at deflection here is just sad.

Puerto Rico as a state would be great, but I think in order to make it occur we would have to compromise, for example not allow them a house or senate rep for the first 6 years.

What part of "the Puerto Rican's don't want it" did you miss? They have been rejecting it for more than 100 years.

The rest of it is just MSM derangement. Doesn't matter what Trump said on the matter, because it's not happening.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What part of "the Puerto Rican's don't want it" did you miss? They have been rejecting it for more than 100 years.

The rest of it is just MSM derangement. Doesn't matter what Trump said on the matter, because it's not happening.
You should probably read the article.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Democrats are disgusting, corrupt and trying to make another mountain out of a empty taco.

Puerto Rico doesn't want state hood Trump agrees with them and the loons want to make a TDS issue.
Still carrying that tankship filled with water for the birther-in-thief money launderer I see..

Old 09-24-2018, 01:26 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
President Donald Trump says he’s an ‘‘absolute no’’ on statehood for Puerto Rico while critics, including San Juan’s mayor, are in office.
As usual it is all about Trump.

Maybe Trump does not know the Congress decides the matter, not the White House.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:27 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
by the way, they have also rejected indepedence......that shows you how dysfunctional the politics are down there.
That doesn't mean that this needs to drag on forever. 100 years is long enough to prove that Puerto Ricans don't know what they want and can't make up their mind.

We can't keep having the same arguments and dumping billions of dollars a year on Puerto Rico. That's not doing anything. There has to be some kind of finality to the Puerto Rico problem.

The obviously solution is end our colonial relationship. It's inherently dysfunctional. This is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:27 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The article states that in the recent referendum vote, (where only 23% voted, I guess similar to referendum votes in the Continental US) 97% wanted statehood.

yeah but 77% of the electorate stayed home and refused to vote as a sign of protest to the referendum.

so you have to take that under consideration.

name me 1 territory in the U.S. that is a state today that was admitted in the union when 78% of the electorate in the territory protested the referendum by not voting?

can you admit a state in the union with only 23% of the electorate voting and 77% staying home protesting the referendum?

Old 09-24-2018, 01:28 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
The mayor said mean things about me, so No statehood for you!

That's your President folks...a petulant child who makes decisions for the country based on his ego.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:31 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yulin-Cruz is the mayor of San Juan, not the governor of Puerto Rico, and her blonde hair came out of a bottle. ;D
All of them are white! The governor Ricardo Rosselló is as white as it gets.

Calling any of them "brown" when they're obviously not is fake identity politics. Claims of racism have to at least make sense.

Don't defend corrupt and inept politicians by calling them "brown" when they are clearly not. You are only cheapening what racism is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies