Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:25 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,087 times

Advertisements

Guy is a moron. If demographcis are destiny, then the Republicans will be the dominant party for decades.

It is all a little trick the Dems play. By counting Hispanics as non-white, they tell you that the white majority is down to 63% and will be gone by 2050 or so.

Problem is, "hispanic" isn't a race, but a language group. Over half are/consider themselves "white." Simliar things can be said about Middle Easterners, some other Asians, and mixed race people.

By counting things AS THEY ARE, and not by Democrat tricks, the white majority is a sold 77%, and will not go away in any forseeable future.

Of course Hispancis tend to vote Democrat, but that is not inevitable, as Bush 43 and Reagan got very solid cuts of the Hispanic vote. What is more, if we are talking about demographcis as destiny, then we must assume that these "white hispanics," like my fair skinned daughter with an Irish last name, will find their what to the GOP eventually.

Final thought: Dems are doing everything they can to drive affluent and hard working Asians into the arms of the Republicans. Keep going and thanks!

So Scarborouhg, you spastic git, go **** up a rope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 07:02 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Since I was in college in the 70's "experts" have claimed that Republicans were an endangered species due to demographics and changing political sentiment and they now have their most elected representatives in their history controlling the House, Senate, President, Supreme Court and most of the states so I view these type pronouncements with extreme skepticism (how could one not?).

Having said the above, yes Republicans and Democrats have to adapt to the changing population and I have no doubt Republicans will do so as will Democrats.
Sure whatever... in the heart of the 80s and 2002-2004 people thought the Republicans had some sort of super majority they'd never lose with also...

Old 09-27-2018, 07:14 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
No. As a Democrat, I'm hoping that one day the Republicans will wrestle their party back to some semblance of sanity, so that decent Republicans don't have to cringe over what their "leader" says and does.

However, that said, I'd be perfectly happy with eight years of a Democrat administration.
Well said. I lean left as well but I certainly don't want one party rule, if I wanted that I'd move to China.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:15 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker38 View Post
Gen Z is more conservative than any generation ever.
Negative. Certainly not on most issues.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:29 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
We need at least two sane parties in a successful democracy. The Republicans are determined that we don’t have that.
As too the Dems.

Both are polar opposites at the moment. Anyone for a 3rd party say "I"....

I!

Old 09-27-2018, 09:10 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
The Whigs really didn’t die. They evolved into the Republicans. Abraham Lincoln was a Whig Congressman and an admirer of Henry Clay.

The case Joe is making isn’t that outrageous. It’s been made before. After losing the 2012 election, Reece Priebus and company floated a lead balloon that recommended the party making overt policy changes, such as a path to citizenship to appeal to Latinos. Statistically, over the long haul that approach would make sense . . . .
No, statistically, adding voters who will vote against you is utterly insane.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:18 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker38 View Post
Gen Z is more conservative than any generation ever.

Good luck dems
That’s a fallacy.

Political ID is formed in young adulthood. Only a very few of Gen Z have reached voting age and those that have are no more conservative as a group than millennials.

Comments by 10 year olds are meaningless.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:26 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcot View Post
Exactly, with the electoral college in place the Republicans have the advantage of a system that is basically political apartheid. Even though the Democratic candidate received about 3 million more votes than the Republican in the last Presidential election, the rigged electoral college system gave the win to the person that received fewer votes. It is like some Twilight Zone version of democracy when the loser is declared the winner because they received more votes in a tiny handful of states while getting crushed in the overall vote totals.
Yep. And it’s not just the electoral college that the minority uses to lord over the majority. The combined population of California, Texas, and New York is about 90 million, over 25 percent of the US. Six senators represent them. The combined population of Wyoming, Vermont, and Alaska is 1.8 million, less than .5 percent of the US. Six senators represent them. Voting rights act? It’s been gutted and rolled back to 1950s levels. The Republican Party is indeed a minority party, and it knows it. That’s why it has many, many tricks up its sleeve to disenfranchise millions. I think the smart money is on them continuing to successfully hold power for decades to come even as they become less and less representative. It’s hard to win a war you don’t know you’re fighting, which is why I think Democrats won’t win this for a long time. We have to come to grips with the fact that Republicans are at war with democracy itself and they have plenty of weapons built into the foundation and structure of our government to deploy. If the majority wants to wrest control out of the tyrannical minority’s hands, they’re going to have to fight much, much harder. Or just get used to being bossed around by rich, white, rural, conservative Christians. It’s how Republicans think it ought to be, and they have lots of good ideas on how to keep it that way.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:26 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, statistically, adding voters who will vote against you is utterly insane.
It’s a choice of playing long or short term. Even if those illegal immigrants are never granted citizenship, their native born children will eventually vote.The more miserable you make the parents lives, the more likely you permanently alienate the children. As Marco Rubio said, “it’s difficult to get someone to listen to your political positions while you’re trying to deport their grandmother”.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 09-27-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 09-27-2018, 10:08 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
Both parties had opportunities to get urgent care. The Pubbies have Dr. Trump. The DNC told Dr. Sanders "Nah, we're fine, cough, wheeze."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies