Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 06:30 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times

Advertisements

I was in Germany last year and every cop had a gun that I seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 06:37 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
unarmed police might work in small town america where everyone knows everyone else, but for the most part police in this country need to be armed.
How would "everyone knows everyone else" change that?

Old 09-27-2018, 08:34 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I heard that in the cities they do and select towns. I believe the towns decide for themselves.

I just thought it might be an interesting topic. I agree with those who say a cop has the right to defend themselves, but I wonder if the entire exchange between the public and the cops would change if the gun was removed from the equation.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:56 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
unarmed police might work in small town america where everyone knows everyone else, but for the most part police in this country need to be armed.
What population range (in 100s or 1000s) do you cap "small town America" before it is a "medium or big town America"?

Old 09-27-2018, 10:00 AM

24,627 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Disarming the police in a country where there are more guns than citizens is a really bad idea.
Well stated. There’s literally a gun shootout every weekend in Southside Chicago.

The only thing that stops it is the winter season when less folks go outside to act a fool.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:05 AM

24,627 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
The Japanese police force carries guns and crime rarely happens in Japan.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:11 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Off duty, maybe (some areas just don't respect the Second Amendment.) On duty, no. If a LE organization wanted to send officers out unarmed, it could (if it could find people who would do it.) On duty, an officer would have to follow their organizations rules. This is no different than an employer telling it's employees they can't bring guns to work.

Having said that, I would think having unarmed cops would be a hugely bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
No, it won't. Police have a 2nd amendment right just as everybody else. So why disarm them? BTW, the reason countries like the UK are able to pull off unarmed cops is mainly because they have the infrastructure to have an armed unit close by. American SWAT teams are expensive.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:14 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Disarming the police in a country where there are more guns than citizens is a really bad idea.

and disarming the Police in a country where more and more people are seeing the Police as the enemy and increasingly people that assault cops are treated lightly by the courts it is a bad idea to disarm them.

Years ago I spoke with a former "bobby" a cop from England. He did not carry a gun but he did carry a billy club and he said that he was trained to use that to deliver a lot of pain to someone that was attacking or out of control to stop them.

But of course using a club means that the bad guy has to get really close to you and has the chance to hurt you. A gun can stop someone before they get close enough to do harm.

Disarming our Police would be a really bad idea.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:25 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
and disarming the Police in a country where more and more people are seeing the Police as the enemy and increasingly people that assault cops are treated lightly by the courts it is a bad idea to disarm them.

Years ago I spoke with a former "bobby" a cop from England. He did not carry a gun but he did carry a billy club and he said that he was trained to use that to deliver a lot of pain to someone that was attacking or out of control to stop them.

But of course using a club means that the bad guy has to get really close to you and has the chance to hurt you. A gun can stop someone before they get close enough to do harm.

Disarming our Police would be a really bad idea.
The UK has very few guns when compared to the US and the culture is very different in this respect.

Kinfe crime has always been a problem to some extent and the police usually wear stab proof vest, have pepper spray, expandable batons and emergency buttons on their radios and often carry tasers. There are lots of different support units ranging from fast armed response vehicles, armed teams, dog/horse units, public order vans etc right through to helicopter and plane support and marine policing boat units.

In terms of the US I couldn't imagine a country where guns are so readily avialable would ever be able to have unarmed police.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:41 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,164,385 times
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies