Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 04:07 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Cherry picking nits? The environment and human rights are nits?
The environmental movement has been quietly advancing for many years, in those venues where it has made a sound case; "global warning", foisted on us in the hope of funding a new army of functionaries, with cuddly polar-bear appeals to twelve-year-olds, is not among them

And the level of societal welfare advocated by the Far Left is not a human right; we can easily afford to sustain anyone truly in need -- but not to subsidize a life of permanent "gainful indolence".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 04:09 PM

25,730 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Obama did what, LOL? Care to elaborate? What law. Be specific.

You don't know what you're talking about! ATVs are illegal in National Parks and National Monument lands. That's the whole point of those designations!
Oh please. Let's not play blind man. You know what I'm talking about. What was the law that required a supposedly liberty-endowed citizen of the United States to purchase a product from a private corporation that said citizen may or may not have wanted, but was forced into the purchase under threat of punitive fee or jail time? It took me a good year to figure a way around that BS. That's a year that shouldn't have needed to be wasted trying to sidestep tyranny.

As for federal lands, try living in a state that is mostly federal lands and tell me all about ATVs. They suck. They would suck for you as well if you had to put up with them every weekend and holiday, clogging the freeways, back roads, trails, and yes, federal and state lands. And we can add to that **** list: motor homes, off-road trucks, houses on wheels, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, etc.

If all that federal land were private, there would be no place for these people to go and waste time along with everyone's hearing. At that point, they could start jogging around a golf course (some courses allow it for a small fee). That would be better for their health anyway. Or walk/jog/bike a city walking/bike trail. QUIET and HEALTHY.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:11 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
I think a big reason manners have been eroded, besides the entitlement culture is that we have so many immigrants and they have different cultural norms. I noticed this about 10 years ago at places like groceries stores. People would cut in the meat department line or just generally be rude and then I would hear them speak and they were from another country.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:19 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Oh please. Let's not play blind man. You know what I'm talking about. What was the law that required a supposedly liberty-endowed citizen of the United States to purchase a product from a private corporation that said citizen may or may not have wanted, but was forced into the purchase under threat of punitive fee or jail time? It took me a good year to figure a way around that BS. That's a year that shouldn't have needed to be wasted trying to sidestep tyranny.
Obamacare, LOL!! Hyperbole, much?

Quote:
As for federal lands, try living in a state that is mostly federal lands and tell me all about ATVs. They suck. They would suck for you as well if you had to put up with them every weekend and holiday, clogging the freeways, back roads, trails, and yes, federal and state lands. And we can add to that **** list: motor homes, off-road trucks, houses on wheels, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, etc.

If all that federal land were private, there would be no place for these people to go and waste time along with everyone's hearing. At that point, they could start jogging around a golf course (some courses allow it for a small fee). That would be better for their health anyway. Or walk/jog/bike a city walking/bike trail. QUIET and HEALTHY.
You are confusing BLM with National Parks and National Monuments.

Again, off-road vehicle and recreational vehicles are generally not allowed in National Monuments and Parks. Those designations PROTECT against the very thing you are railing against for the vast majority of those areas. Trump REMOVED the National Monument status from huge tracks of pristine and gorgeous lands already. Do you really not get this?

Old 09-27-2018, 04:25 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I think a big reason manners have been eroded, besides the entitlement culture is that we have so many immigrants and they have different cultural norms. I noticed this about 10 years ago at places like groceries stores. People would cut in the meat department line or just generally be rude and then I would hear them speak and they were from another country.
I noticed it back in the 70s. People just stopped teaching manners and thinking about others.

Now, the world seems to be occupied by ill mannered bullies. You see it in the way people maneuver through the grocery store and in traffic. In my town it's all kinds of people.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:37 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
As opposed to that decade without immigration and non-English speakers, when everyone spoke English? What year what that, again? Because as someone who grew up in NYC and know its history, I can assure you, it's not in the past two centuries.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:04 PM

25,730 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Obamacare, LOL!! Hyperbole, much?
I don't find a tax form threatening me with fees and jail time to be hyperbole. Either I was forced to buy something from a private corporation or I was not. Which is it? No hyperbole about it.

Quote:
You are confusing BLM with National Parks and National Monuments.

Again, off-road vehicle and recreational vehicles are generally not allowed in National Monuments and Parks. Those designations PROTECT against the very thing you are railing against for the vast majority of those areas. Trump REMOVED the National Monument status from huge tracks of pristine and gorgeous lands already. Do you really not get this?
What I "get" is that the federal government should not own ANY land other than for military use and office space. This isn't a monarchy or feudal system.

If any government entity should be owning lands (which I don't believe they should anyway), it should be the individual states.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:22 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't find a tax form threatening me with fees and jail time to be hyperbole. Either I was forced to buy something from a private corporation or I was not. Which is it? No hyperbole about it.
Got car insurance?

Quote:

What I "get" is that the federal government should not own ANY land other than for military use and office space. This isn't a monarchy or feudal system.

If any government entity should be owning lands (which I don't believe they should anyway), it should be the individual states.
So you don't want America, "the land", to exist any more. Got it.

I will continue to vote for presidents who are committed to our Federal lands.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:16 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
As opposed to that decade without immigration and non-English speakers, when everyone spoke English? What year what that, again? Because as someone who grew up in NYC and know its history, I can assure you, it's not in the past two centuries.
there has been some research done regarding this situation, and it makes a lot of sense....you might want to do some research on it, before concluding....

yes, NYC was loaded with none-English speakers...which really isn't the norm....so you cannot apply that as conclusive...it was the port where everyone came in...

However, when you start mixing cultures, it can have some very effective positive results and some very negative results...so...just saying.....

Not everyone is the same, no two people ever think alike....you cannot lump everyone into one neat little "one size fits all"....people are people...but the U.S. has been experiencing a very definite cultural decline as evidenced in studies & statistics...we are no longer number one.

This decline cannot be attributed to one reason, there are many...and it's taken many years to get here.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n_3293846.html

Here are the top 10 best countries as detailed in the 2018 U.S. News & World Report:
1. Switzerland.
2. Canada. ...
3. Germany. ...
4. United Kingdom. ...
5. Japan. ...
6. Sweden. ...
7. Australia. ...
8. United States. ...

Old 09-28-2018, 05:23 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
It is the consequence of democrats and liberals controlling our complete education system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies