Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 09:02 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
It is the consequence of democrats and liberals controlling our complete education system.
How did that come about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 09:18 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
People like to say that, but the fact is that there have been measurable declines in the US population's academic and work skills test scores over the past several decades. Info with citations in my post:

Post #128
But, the OP's post wasn't about academic skills.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:23 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
No, we do NOT agree. Read my post on how and why the US populace was intentionally dumbed down by radical lefty SJW education gurus. It cites sources.

Post #128
This tired old theory just will not go away.

Which corporations write the textbooks? Who decides what the teacher colleges teach?

Any groups of parents in this country can go to their own school boards and demand better curriculum. Our local schools have several the state provides from which to select. Nothing is stopping parents from demanding something different and better. Nothing is stopping the parents from supplementing what the school does.

There were several towns where the parents kept their kids home on test day. That sent a message.

Do yourself a favor and study up on Pearson. It's not the liberals neglecting our kids, it's the guys making all that money.

ETA, my state has been run 100% by conservatives for the last 25 years. That includes the schools. We are getting dumber by the day.

The only reason teachers join the professional organization is so they will be provided a lawyer in case they are sued. The school provides no defense. Only about 1/3 of the teachers in my area belong to the professional organization. We cannot have teacher unions.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:27 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's past time to close this thread because there's nothing here to discuss. There's no continuity. It's just a bunch of angry people venting their collective spleen over perceived wrongs. Seriously, folks, go have a cup of chamomile tea and chill the hell out.
Those who come up short in an open discussion are usually eager to stifle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Money again.

An example is writing Thomas Jefferson out of much of history...even though he is a Hero of the Right. Well, it turns out his lack of Bible Thumping is an inconvenient fact for them....so they replaced him with someone more devout.
Once again, conservatism is not monolithic, and there is no such thing as "the (demonized) Right". Traditionalists and an emerging libertarian movement were proving (and arguing) this point nearly half a century ago. The "hooded Americans" the Old Left seeks to depict as their opposition have dwindled to a point where their numbers are inconsequential.

And when all else fails -- blame "money".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-28-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 09-28-2018, 09:28 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Which corporations write the textbooks? Who decides what the teacher colleges teach?

Any groups of parents in this country can go to their own school boards and demand better curriculum. Our local schools have several the state provides from which to select. Nothing is stopping parents from demanding something different and better. Nothing is stopping the parents from supplementing what the school does.

There were several towns where the parents kept their kids home on test day. That sent a message.

Do yourself a favor and study up on Pearson. It's not the liberals neglecting our kids, it's the guys making all that money.
Money again.

A populace state like Texas ends up setting the Textbook standards...and most smaller states don't have the resources to consider others. We know some of what the Texans and others have done.

An example is writing Thomas Jefferson out of much of history...even tho he is a Hero of the Right. Well, it turns out his lack of Bible Thumping is an inconvenient fact for them....so they replaced him with someone more devout.

Yes, change can be had. But on a macro scale it is very difficult. When Parents and Politicians are anti-intellectual, then it would hard for the general populace to be more so.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:47 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Intellect requires that you look up the actual numbers and quantify your observations to see if the facts and opinions match.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2018, 11:00 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Mock me all you want....but I've never seen such disrespect for the rights of others, and people texting and talking on the telephone...no none cares about hurting other people, it's me, me, me...attitude....

all kinds of crazy murders going on, that's all you hear about in Philly, but our leaders are not doing anything about it....babies and kids being shot on their bicycles.

Mock me, but if it happens in your neighborhood then it's a whole different ball game isn't it.

Just wait, until your generation of kids grow up to be adults, it's going to get worse.
You are right about much of this. But here in the USA, I disagree about WHY we got to this situation. Actually, it's simple conditioning. This started back in the 60's when advertisers began chipping away at our critical thinking skills. There's a simple reason why they did it; it is a lot easier to sell useless crap to people and to overextend them on credit when they don't have a clue about how to rationally approach a buying decision.

Once those basic reasoning skills were eroded, the void was filled with vapid entertainment, useless electronic trinkets and other disposable junk. More recently that mind void was successfully filled with the populist blatherings of a candidate for President.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:06 AM

89,001 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Any groups of parents in this country can go to their own school boards and demand better curriculum.
Parents go in all the time and demand ability grouped classes with appropriately adjusted and paced curriculum. Schools won't do it. They don't think it's "fair" that some kids are smarter, can learn faster, and can learn more than others. They do absolutely nothing with a kindergartner who starts school reading at a 4th grade level. That kid just languishes and disengages. Meanwhile, the K class is putt-putting along, learning the letter of the week. Yes, I said letter, as in a single letter.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:27 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Parents go in all the time and demand ability grouped classes with appropriately adjusted and paced curriculum. Schools won't do it. They don't think it's "fair" that some kids are smarter, can learn faster, and can learn more than others. They do absolutely nothing with a kindergartner who starts school reading at a 4th grade level. That kid just languishes and disengages. Meanwhile, the K class is putt-putting along, learning the letter of the week. Yes, I said letter, as in a single letter.
Believe me, I know what you are talking about. Been there done that. One of my kids was the teacher's aide for a semester because they had nothing left for her to do. Then the superintendent told me she was an overachiever. He also said the slow learners do better when the fast learners are in their classroom. He saw noting wrong with that grossly unfair to the smart kids position.

AP classes were started as a means for segregating schools, not provide enhanced classwork.

Many Texas district treat parents with issues as though they are the only ones with problem. And you can't find out about the lawsuits unless the families tell. A friend tried to get special services for her dyslexic kid. The school would not even test her. Then we learned the state was limiting the percentage of special needs kids to around 7%.

It's gonna take a mass movement, but it can be done. Especially since Texas funds schools through local property taxes.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:32 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I completely agree with you. I see the difference plain as day. I was just pointing out in the thread that it's happening all over the world so people from other countries can't jump in and say this is a US problem only. Just like Toyman posted, those studies mention environmental factors such as media, internet, etc. THAT is what is causing the decay.

I think the biggest environmental factor now found all over the world is all the plastic and the leeched chemicals in plastic that people have been both knowingly and unknowingly eating since the late 1960's. Plastic particles and its related chemicals are found in everything now including inside the organs, muscles and brains of living animals and inside the structures of plants that we eat. It's in the soil and in the waters all over the world. With the progression of time over the past 50 years people have been consuming more and more plastic with each passing decade. We all quite literally have plastic in the brain, which in younger people in the under 40 crowd who have consumed more of it, it is causing health issues and worse mental health illnesses, emotional derangements and decrease in intelligence and critical thinking skills.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies