Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 08:39 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I can't watch these, without either laughing or getting upset, depends on my mood....
I know exactly what you mean.

There are times when you don't know whether to laugh or cry, and you can end up feeling a bit depressed in terms of the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 08:42 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
And, btw, I'm a SAHM,
Quote:
I dont' know if your a stay at home mom or a guy?
SAHM=Stay At Home MOM

Old 09-27-2018, 08:44 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Do you always feel like the sky is falling, OP?

Old 09-27-2018, 08:44 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm not defensive. I just don't like seeing others get so wrapped up in outrage. It's not good for our health and it distracts us from those things we can really do something about. Choose one issue and focus on it. I volunteer, which allows me to spend time with good people who share my values and also to give back in a meaningful and genuinely influential way. Don't get me wrong, I've certainly spent my fair share of time ranting on-line about things that upset me, but at the end of the day, what does that accomplish? It simply raises my blood pressure, so I'm starting to make changes. I'm taking more walks, reading more books, spending more time with people who actually matter, and expressing more gratitude for the many blessings of my life. Life is too short to waste it shaking my fist in fury all the time.
well, I'll tell you, I believe there are people out there just reading and not posting....but taking it all in and feel the same way....and maybe they'll do something constructive about it....

also, I'm allowed to post how I think and feel, everyone else does....and I'm glad your taking more walks and doing other things, but I won't, I'm going to shout this out until the day I die...and write my congressmen, and my senator, and I want to know how many people are out there who feel like me...or am I the oddball out...?

Just b/c I go and vote, doesn't mean my job is over...and yours shouldn't be either.

You know what bothers me, big time, are people who sit there and say, "oh I won't listen to the news anymore, it's too depressing". Yeah, by all means, don't allow anything of what is going on out there, effect your invisible protective plastic bubble that you've built around yourself that you call life, (and I'm talking in general, I don't mean you) or they cry for the terrible misfortunes that are done to animals, but care nothing about all the kids who were raped by priests....here's an example, guess what, Priests are not Gods, they are men, and when one kid was raped, why didn't that parent say more? Why in the world are people still going to catholic churches....? The Pope, he's a freakin man for God's sake, nothing more, nothing less? Yet people have to have someone to look up to, instead of trusting their own intelligence....???????

I tell people I was molested by an uncle since I was 5 years old? And they give me this blank stare, say nothing and move onto another topic. I am not looking for sympathy...what I'm looking for is for people to stop hiding and start talking about things....

hey, thanks for your input....

Old 09-27-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Do you always feel like the sky is falling, OP?
no actually simply talking about life, the real world and what's going on out there....

so if you want to mock, fine, have at it....but at least I contemplate what's beyond my front door and am able to see the delusions people accept and am able to remain a bit open to discussion.....what do you offer?

Old 09-27-2018, 08:53 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Why do you think they put all those new mechanisms in cars, regarding safety? People won't put their phones down...it's crazy, it's like they're possessed. My phone goes in my purse, when I'm driving...however, now I have blue tooth so I can have both hands on the wheel and don't need to look anywhere but on the road.

And yes, we have endured sexual harassments and assaults, it's been going on since the beginning of time...but we also need stricter laws....and yes, a woman can dress anyway she wants, like I said, no one has the right to touch her, however, there is a line that one can cross, use common sense?

I agree with most of what your saying...but here is something people never discuss....

What about the guy who just got out of jail, b/c some little girl said he raped her and then admitted she lied...Good Lord...what if ? I mean, that man's life was ruined.....and that comes with raising your kids to understand guilt, and to feel guilty for doing such a thing.

And yeah, there are some really fantastic people out there....good intelligent people, however, for the most part, common sense is lacking....problem solving is flying out the window....

I started a thread a few weeks ago about traffic violations, naming them all, and do you know how many people came into those threads mocking me, saying that have a right to drive however they like? They didn't give a darn about the safety of others, just the fact that they're allowed to speed was their whole being...to heck with everyone else.

OK, I'll breath now....lol
Yes, there have been instances of false claims of sexual assault. But the vast majority are true. Just because a woman did not come forward immediately doesn't mean it didn't happen. People who bring up false charges as revenge, etc. are making it difficult for the real victims to come forward, and ruin the lives of the accused.

Where I live is famous for stupidity on the road. A woman was on her cellphone and almost hit my car. She stopped just in time. Further down the road, same woman, still on her phone, hit a truck broadside when she ran a red light. Unless you're talking someone through a difficult birth, you don't need to be on your phone talking or texting when you're driving. If it's that important, park someplace and conduct business.

Technology should be a tool, not a way of life.

Glad you're breathing.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:55 AM

I think it's time we become working adults again, working in our homes, our society...in other words, stop working to support a mega mansion, 60" tv's and electronics and spend more time with the kids....

you invest in a 401(k) don't you, why not invest in your kids as seriously and get your damn noses out of the phones....

Take a ride in the country with them, show them how to build a camp fire....make dinner over a fire, pitch a tent, let them get dirty....and give them some responsibility at home...make them clean their rooms, take them shopping and show them how, show them how to do the wash, cook, clean, weed the garden...get their butts out of the house, and make them go around the neighborhood looking for work, weeding gardens, helping the older people with their lawns, shovel snow....and show them how to work and not expect a pay check all the time. If they see a woman unpacking their cars with groceries, let them help her bring them in the house, and you as well....when I came home with the groceries, the boys would jump up and help me carry them in the house.

Teach them how to hold the door open for the person behind you....I see adults today who don't do that....

and oh, when your walking in a parking lot of walmart, put the phones away, if a car is backing out, stop and stop your kids, b/c that person in the car cannot always see you. Stop walking behind cars thinking they aren't going to back up?

Lets all work together...no one is going to do this for you, we all have to work together collectively....demand your community hires more policeman...to patrol...go to your township meetings...

Old 09-27-2018, 08:58 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
I don’t understand what the OP is rambling about (too long, didn’t read) but I would that people are getting dumber in this country.

Look no further than the sad state of our public K-12 schools. It’s embarrassing.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
carterstamp;53203179]Yes, there have been instances of false claims of sexual assault. But the vast majority are true. Just because a woman did not come forward immediately doesn't mean it didn't happen. People who bring up false charges as revenge, etc. are making it difficult for the real victims to come forward, and ruin the lives of the accused.
Your absolutely right, but something that happened, 12, 15, 20 years ago? Really? I mean, why not look at both sides...of the story, and self examine, before ruining someone's life...and yes, there are woman who are raped, but the revenge, part of it, is most certainly making it difficult for others....

Even models know, if you want to get some where you've got to sleep with people to do so....so they are feeding into the problem. Not helping it...

Quote:
Where I live is famous for stupidity on the road. A woman was on her cellphone and almost hit my car. She stopped just in time. Further down the road, same woman, still on her phone, hit a truck broadside when she ran a red light. Unless you're talking someone through a difficult birth, you don't need to be on your phone talking or texting when you're driving. If it's that important, park someplace and conduct business.

Technology should be a tool, not a way of life.
this is a real pet peeve of mine, these people need to have their licenses taken away....
it's worse than alcoholics driving...
totally agree with you....how utterly stupid, and do they really think they are setting a good example for their kids? No.

Quote:
Glad you're breathing.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I don’t understand what the OP is rambling about (too long, didn’t read) but I would that people are getting dumber in this country.

Look no further than the sad state of our public K-12 schools. It’s embarrassing.
yeah, and that's another thing, people are way too lazy to actually read any longer....and therein is another problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies