Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 12:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All of these numbers are arbitrary and based on absolutely NOTHING but anger that a man might be facing consequences for his actions.

What scientific evidence do you have that your proposal makes more sense than one more day or one less hour?

Yeah, my proposal is that they have 2 weeks, 3 days, 5 hours, and 2 seconds to report it. And my proposal is at least just as scientific as yours.

Get the hell outta here. LMAO!

Based on what? What analysis did you use to come up with that number?

Why is 90 days better than 190 days or 90 seconds?
Its not arbitrary. Physical evidence can only be collected for a short period of time, generally regarded as 72 hours after an assault. So I suggested 48 hours so that testing could be accomplished subsequent to the report being made, as an allowance of buffer time to account for the possibility that such collecting may not be able to be performed instantaneously or in "real time" due to staffing, unavailability of testing equipment or locations near the victim, etc and so forth.

https://www.nij.gov/journals/267/pages/extending.aspx

In contrast what non-existent criteria did YOU use to come up with YOUR proposed interval?

I told you to find a non-arbitrary period...you couldn't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 12:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
We need a timely reporting law so that people's lives can no longer be disrupted and democracy hijacked by ancient allegations which cannot be proven or disproven due to the lapse of time, eroding memories, and generally making it impossible to ascertain factual events from fictional allegations.

We can all agree that sexual assaults are more impactful on society than property crimes, right?

So, in CA and NY/RI, you have 5 days and 24 hours, respectively, to notify law enforcement of the theft of any firearm.

Surely for something even more emergent than a missing piece of property, we can impose the same reporting requirements on a far more serious offense, to ensure that investigations are contemporaneously initiated, that evidence is preserved, and so that the system ensures equal justice in the form of sufficient due process, for both victim and accused.
Is it your secret agenda to turn off even more women to the GOP? Because I gotta tell ya, your proposal would do it.

The trend is in fact to lengthen the time frame within which a charge of sexual assault must be brought. And has been for some years.

Besides, changing that law would only change the time frame when legal charges could be brought. It would certainly not change the ability of victims, whether women or men, to talk about what they experienced. And it wouldn't change their ability to bring a civil suit. As the Catholics could tell you, the civil suits can be just as damaging as a criminal charge. Maybe even more damaging.

You know what would bring about the improvement you seek? Taking these accusations seriously, each and every time. Whatever else is true about Kavanaugh's accusers, when they say they were afraid of what would happen if they talked - they were right to be afraid. Because it is happening even as we speak.

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-27-2018 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-27-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Make it a few weeks or months and it seems like an entirely reasonable law to me.

48 hours is far too short, IMO.
So you'd prefer to wait until the physical evidence has been destroyed, memories are hazy, and we're right back into the same "She said - He said" scenario?

I am trying to solve this issue, not make it the same!

Old 09-27-2018, 12:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Its not arbitrary. Physical evidence can only be collected for a short period of time, generally regarded as 72 hours after an assault. So I suggested 48 hours so that testing could be accomplished subsequent to the report being made, as an allowance of buffer time to account for the possibility that such collecting may not be able to be performed instantaneously or in "real time" due to staffing, unavailability of testing equipment or locations near the victim, etc and so forth.

https://www.nij.gov/journals/267/pages/extending.aspx

In contrast what non-existent criteria did YOU use to come up with YOUR proposed interval?

I told you to find a non-arbitrary period...you couldn't do it.
Why not 49 hours?

Old 09-27-2018, 12:27 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Clarify what you mean.

Do you mean:
1. Men should be responsible for their actions, and therefore the clock never stops, because they should have consequences?
2. Or are you saying that WOMEN are responsible for a man's actions. Are you saying that sexual freedom requires that someone has added responsiblity or timelines if they get raped?

I'm in agreement with one of them, but not the other. I don't want to assume I know what you meant, so please clarify.
I'm in agreement with the former -- at least so far as pregnancy, STDs, and other consequences are involved,

I view the latter as just another variation of the same lame excuse.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Exactly!!! You suggested a reporting requirement of two days. So if the assaulter can stall the female from reporting it for two days, then he is free! Because after two days the allegations have no legal consequences.

Do you not understand what you are proposing?

"Reasonable knowledge of the theft" has very little application when it comes to what you are proposing.

It isn't a SOL, its a reporting requirement. Just like if you miss the reporting requirement for a firearm, the theft of the firearm isn't magically made a non-offense. Its still the crime it always was.

This is a public safety measure.

A sexual assault reporting requirement is ALSO a public safety measure...it ensures that timely due process is available to both parties.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Why not 49 hours?
Because its standard practice to use whole numbers of hours that represent whole days in the law, that's why.

For the same reason that speed limits end in five or zero and not seven or three.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:31 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,008 times
More evidence on the total panic this has thrown wingnuts into.

They put on a brave face with the endless blustering and attacking the victim but they are absolutely terrified.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Funny how Neil Gorsuch faced no such accusations.
The left hadn't hit on their brilliant strategy just yet.

They tried everything else to derail the Gorsuch nomination and it didn't work. Including this:: https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...130516849.html

So they came up with the tactic of baseless, unprovable allegations of sexual misconduct instead. Can't be proved or disproved. Its sheerly subjective.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:36 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Instead of taking action at the time we push it off onto society later when we are ill equipped to do anything with it. It benefits women to speak out sooner rather than later.

We aren't just talking 'rape' here either, touching, groping, an unwanted advance...all these things fall under 'sexual assault' now and things needs to change. If the 'sexual assault' doesn't warrant legal action at the time then I don't want to hear about it later with anyone crying about how it ruined their life. To me that signals mental instability.

I will never "just believe" anyone, I'm not stupid or susceptible to social brainwashing. It's fine to be supportive and sympathetic while seeking the truth, but if that's all you think an accusation = evidence you are wrong.
Uh huh. So if your mother, sister, daughter confided that she had been raped, you’d tell her “Sorry, don’t believe you?” And cons cry foul when they’re labeled as.....well, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies