Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 11:52 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Ford testimony yesterday was exceptionally good proof.
Exceptionally good proof that Kavanaugh is innocent and the left don't care. They just want him gone.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:53 AM

301 posts, read 189,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Sure.

Dr. Ford made an accusation. She has to offer evidence to corroborate said accusation. If not, then it is ultimately moot for the burden of proof is on the accuser.

Standard of proof? Well, it would have been nice is she offered ANY proof, so I guess the standard is moot as well.

This is a democracy. People always have the presumption of innocence. If that is so unpalatable, there are numerous alternative societies around the globe which might appeal to you more.

You cannot have MY rights.
And YOU cannot change the definition of a legal term to suit your argument.

Dr. Ford made an accusation, yes. She did not, however, file criminal charges against Kavanaugh with the expectation of legal proceedings. She shared a story about his character as part of a broader examination of Kavanaugh's fitness for a job.

Y'all really don't get it.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:55 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Why do conservatives dismiss claims of sexual assault so easily?
Because Trump is President. Not Bill Clinton.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:56 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
And YOU cannot change the definition of a legal term to suit your argument.

Dr. Ford made an accusation, yes. She did not, however, file criminal charges against Kavanaugh with the expectation of legal proceedings. She shared a story about his character as part of a broader examination of Kavanaugh's fitness for a job.

Y'all really don't get it.
It is not a Kangaroo Court and you are not a lawyer.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:57 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
Sure.

Dr. Ford made an accusation. She has to offer evidence to corroborate said accusation. If not, then it is ultimately moot for the burden of proof is on the accuser.

Standard of proof? Well, it would have been nice is she offered ANY proof, so I guess the standard is moot as well.

This is a democracy. People always have the presumption of innocence. If that is so unpalatable, there are numerous alternative societies around the globe which might appeal to you more.

You cannot have MY rights.

So you still don't understand what the legal phrase presumption of innocence means.

I see we already at the "move out of my country" point. Great rhetorical move.

So, using your made-up definition, how do you account for Prof. Ford's presumption of innocence as to committing perjury. She must be presumed innocent of that, right? So she must be presumed not to have lied.

Hmm, seems we have a dilemma. Mainly based on not knowing what presumption of innocence is.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Yes, its not a court at all. Hence, presumption of innocence legal standard is inapplicable.

It comes down to what the senators actually think about Kauvangah's character. Not just what he cultivates and portrays - but what is really going on with him. How much smoke is there without fire?

Old 09-28-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Exceptionally good proof that Kavanaugh is innocent and the left don't care. They just want him gone.

The next Justice on the Supreme Ct. will still be a republican. You do know that right?

Old 09-28-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:

You're right? This isn't any kind of court.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
So you still don't understand what the legal phrase presumption of innocence means.

the presumption of innocence applies across the board, not just in a court of law. the phrase is a man is innocent until proven guilty. it doesnt say anything about a court of law, a confirmation hearing, or anything else.

and why do you think it was put that way? because ANYONE can make an accusation against someone, even without evidence. so just because an accusation is made does it mean the person which the accusation was made against is automatically guilty of that accusation?

in other words if i made the accusation against you that you are a serial murderer, does that mean you are a serial murderer? i mean at this point it is only an accusation with no evidence to back it up, so then are you guilty? the answer should come back as no you are not unless there is evidence to back up that accusation.

or lets say i made the claim that you like to molest children, again are you guilty of that based solely on the accusation?

everyone has the automatic presumption of innocence when accusations are made against them, and they dont have to be in court for that to be true.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the presumption of innocence applies across the board, not just in a court of law. the phrase is a man is innocent until proven guilty. it doesnt say anything about a court of law, a confirmation hearing, or anything else.
Have you ... googled for the definition? Let me save you the trouble.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies