Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:44 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sorry but I had to lol at the bold/underline....!

Rape is always by force. Someone who is raped does not give consent...

Enslaved women were routinely raped. Often enslaved women were bought by men whose main purpose for their purchasing said woman was to rape her.

The poster I responded to earlier has a history here as being someone who is a very staunchly focused on a white supremacist and nationalist sort of worldview so his/her views are not ones I place much value in since they chose to be ignorant regarding basic American history.

However, even though I've also seen you post rather...I'll say weird things, it is sad to me that you will become the same sort of file as that poster with this bold/underlined portion. As if you are not bright enough to know what a rape is. Someone who is a slave is bound to do whatever her master wants her to do - she by default of not having a choice in the matter is raped. There is no consent in rape. Rape is about the power the rapist has over the other person.

Some post-Civil War accounts as well for folks who may not be aware of the history of racial injustice regarding the sexual exploitation of black women. Note that often this sexual abuse, rape, and exploitation was a purposeful ploy by the terroristic white men and society's refusal to admit these crimes to put black people as a whole in their "place." It often was often used to punish a black man - his woman would be raped for him doing something that some white man or woman felt he shouldn't have done.

It is important IMO that black people know our history in this regard and for us not to continue to allow society to fragment black men and women from each other in regards to our common goals as a demographic.

Recy Taylor - gang raped by 6 white men in Alabama - recently passed away last year. There was a documentary made about her life/experiences. From the article:

Ruby Jackson McCollum - was repeatedly raped by a white physician in Florida in the 1940s through 1950s. She and her husband were pretty well off but she was a patient of the physician and was pressed by him to engage in a sexual relationship. Black women were subject to what is called "paramour rights" of white men during that era, which was the practice of men being allowed to rape black women without repercussion.

Ruby had a child by the physician and was pregnant with another when she shot him in the face and killed him one day. She was convicted in a second trial of murder due to insanity and lived the rest of her life in an institution. Her husband died of a heart attack on the day that she was arrested

From the link:

Celia - a Slave in the case "State of Missouri v. Celia a Slave". Celia attempted to claim self defense for killing her white slave master. She was only 19 and her owner was in his 70s. She'd already born him 2 children and was pregnant with a 3rd and she had warned him that she would endure no more rapes. He came to rape her again and she bashed his head in and killed him and burned his body.

MO law stated that it was a crime to "take any woman unlawfully against her will and by force, menace or duress, compel her to be defiled". So Celia's defense attorneys felt that she should be able to claim self defense in the killing. The judge refused to instruct the jury that the slave master didn't have a right to rape a slave. She was subsequently convicted of murder and hanged to death.

A book was written about Celia. From the link:

What about Sally hemming? She is the mistress and slave of Thomas Jefferson. Both had romance going on for a decade or more. Yes slave women were routinely raped. I don't know why you lol at such comment with your elitist self you are. But I digress. If if offers you any consolation. My father great great great grand father who is white had a common law wife with a black woman. Then again that did not happen in the United States in which such coupling would be seen as taboo.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-10-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 03:18 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What about Sally hemming? She is the mistress and slave of Thomas Jefferson. Both had romance going on for a decade or more. Yes slave women were routinely raped. I don't know why you lol at such comment with your elitist self you are. But I digress. If if offers you any consolation. My father great great great grand father who is white had a common law wife with a black woman. Then again that did not happen in the United States in which such coupling would be seen as taboo.

Sally Hemmings was also raped. She was 14 when she became the concubine of Jefferson and lived in a windowless room next to his. She also was the sister of his deceased wife.

Any 40 something year old man who owns a woman and has sex with her is a rapist, plain and simple. Enslaved women did not have a right to refuse sex. They did not own their own body and their owners could and did use them however they saw fit.

If your 3rd great grandfather "owned" the black mistress, he was also a rapist. If the black woman wasn't a slave, then it was more than likely consensual.

Note, I have a very diverse family tree (including white men who were my distant great grandfathers or racially mixed men who looked white). However, anyone who was a slave and made to have sex with their master was raped. This is plain and simple. You not acknowledging the fact that enslaved women or men had no right of refusal (could not decline "consent") is you choosing to believe otherwise. It was power situation and rape.

And not elitist anything here. Just simple fact and simple examples of said facts. As stated - you and others not being aware is just ignorance on these facts. Ignorance just means you don't know and is nothing necessarily "bad." However, I think that you do know and people who know yet refuse to admit are a different kind of person that I won't mention.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:07 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
A slave could have consensual sex with their master. And the age of consent at one time was age 13. Biologically that is appropriate when there's a good chance you might not survive to age 30.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:11 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
A slave could have consensual sex with their master. And the age of consent at one time was age 13. Biologically that is appropriate when there's a good chance you might not survive to age 30.
I'm sure there were plenty of instances of consensual sex.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:28 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
Quote:
Sally Hemmings was also raped. She was 14 when she became the concubine of Jefferson and lived in a windowless room next to his. She also was the sister of his deceased wife.

Any 40 something year old man who owns a woman and has sex with her is a rapist, plain and simple. Enslaved women did not have a right to refuse sex. They did not own their own body and their owners could and did use them however they saw fit.

If your 3rd great grandfather "owned" the black mistress, he was also a rapist. If the black woman wasn't a slave, then it was more than likely consensual.

Note, I have a very diverse family tree (including white men who were my distant great grandfathers or racially mixed men who looked white). However, anyone who was a slave and made to have sex with their master was raped. This is plain and simple. You not acknowledging the fact that enslaved women or men had no right of refusal (could not decline "consent") is you choosing to believe otherwise. It was power situation and rape.

And not elitist anything here. Just simple fact and simple examples of said facts. As stated - you and others not being aware is just ignorance on these facts. Ignorance just means you don't know and is nothing necessarily "bad." However, I think that you do know and people who know yet refuse to admit are a different kind of person that I won't mention.

Oh I remember you were the same person who was in my black masculinity, carry on!

Old 10-10-2018, 06:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Oh I remember you were the same person who was in my black masculinity, carry on!
Ignore her.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Yes, I'm a consistent person. I do remember you posting quite a few threads about things you don't seem to know much about. I remember you saying you're a teenager and you seem to be one of those teens that think all the stuff you consume online is "real" life when it is not.

You also stated you were not black so you are not a man from a legal perspective, you are not black, and yet you continue to post threads about black people....

You'll carry one I bet with the silliness of youth. Enjoy and I hope you mature. Hopefully you also read the book suggestions I made to you instead of relying on websites as the basis for your education about people who you don't know much about.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Ignore her.
Nanny-nanny poo poo to you too lol

FWIW I expect the OP to be immature. He's a self proclaimed teen. He is supposed to be ignorant. That is the bliss and essence of youth. You though....not sure about you.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Again, a slave was the property of their owner and they were required to do whatever the owner wanted of them, including having sex with them. By default of this sort of power relationship, the slave is a victim of rape.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:04 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Again, a slave was the property of their owner and they were required to do whatever the owner wanted of them, including having sex with them. By default of this sort of power relationship, the slave is a victim of rape.
No a slave could have consensual sex with their master or commit rape themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies