Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 07:51 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
The Democrats love time travel. Go back to 1982 and check on Kavanagh, then fly off to 2100 and get a weather report. What a bunch of quacks.
What do both have in common? The absolute rejection of experts by Republicans --- Both a rejection of climate science and a rejection of an official investigation by the FBI.

Instead, you guys put faith in everything both the fat man on the radio and the college drop out on TV tells you about the world.

But we're the quacks.....riiiight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 07:56 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Then make cars that pollute less and don't cost so much. It always baffles me how liberals think governments can solve this.
What Trump is trying to do is not allow states rights with regard to emissions standards. Republicans love states rights until they get control, then they love federal control. Trump wants to take away California's ability to set emissions standards. And his justification for doing so is, the earth is going to increase 7 degrees by 2100 anyway so we might as well not try to control it.

Remember, Republicans hate the environment, they hated the Paris Agreement, they love coal and now they are trying to increase vehicle pollution. But in doing so, Trump's report states the situation is such that it doesn't matter, the earth is going to increase 7 degrees anyway.

We need to air commercials showing water rising and covering Mar-a-Lago with accompanying snort laughter.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:05 PM

31,061 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
So, ban all vehicles? From now on everyone walks?
Really doesn't matter what we do, as the 3rd world is where pollution will see all the growth. They are going through their industrial revolution and Nothing Al Gore and his friends do in their environmental summits in Paris will change that

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/...20ways-thrive/

https://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/...ing-number-one

Most polluted cities in the world. None are in the US.
https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the...-world-ranked/

Old 09-28-2018, 08:10 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
As much as it amuses me to imagine Mar-a-Lago underwater, Trump and his anti-environmental cronies are a walking nightmare. Trump admits that the temperatures will increase 7 degrees by 2100. But his logic is "oh well, let's just raise the emissions limits anyway". Maybe he feels that way because he's over 70, but this will destroy Manhattan and Florida. Glad I already live in Seattle, the South will be unlivable.
the global temp needs to go up about 23 degrees to match the other 2 dozen interglacial periods

global average now ~59'f.....average during each interglacial period 73-75'f

Old 09-28-2018, 08:13 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Eh no. Trump just wants to increase the pollution for vehicles. The GOP is running on increasing pollution. And Trump's report is justifying the increase in pollution by saying they already know temperatures will increase 7 degrees by 2100 anyway so may as well increase pollution from vehicles because "why not?"
Couple of points:

1) The global temperatures have increased about 1F since 1861, far below the estimates that were predicted when I was a university student in the late 70's. This prediction of a 7F degree jump is going to end up highly exaggerated just like every prediction that's been made from "experts."

https://www.greenfacts.org/en/climat...e-change-1.htm

2) We could have less suns energy or a large volcanic eruption to reverse global warming as has happened in the past

3) If the 7F prediction were correct (and I have n doubt it's not), then Trump is right, another nominal reduction is not going to change that. We would have to have a worldwide complete change to have anything more than a negligible impact.

4) The USA set he world record for reduction in carbon emissions in 2017 (first year of the Trump reign of Greatness)

5) We have to focus on creating a renewable that's cheaper than fossil fuels. Unlike the USA, most of the world is on an increasing pollution curve.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Couple of points:

1) The global temperatures have increased about 1F since 1861, far below the estimates that were predicted when I was a university student in the late 70's. This prediction of a 7F degree jump is going to end up highly exaggerated just like every prediction that's been made from "experts."

https://www.greenfacts.org/en/climat...e-change-1.htm

2) We could have less suns energy or a large volcanic eruption to reverse global warming as has happened in the past

3) If the 7F prediction were correct (and I have n doubt it's not), then Trump is right, another nominal reduction is not going to change that. We would have to have a worldwide complete change to have anything more than a negligible impact.

4) The USA set he world record for reduction in carbon emissions in 2017 (first year of the Trump reign of Greatness)

5) We have to focus on creating a renewable that's cheaper than fossil fuels. Unlike the USA, most of the world is on an increasing pollution curve.
No Republicans supports renewable energy. Hoping for a volcano sounds insane.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:17 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Just more TDS.

But all my diesel powered vehicles are low compression engines. Lots of smoke boils out of the stacks.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:20 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Just more TDS.

But all my diesel powered vehicles are low compression engines. Lots of smoke boils out of the stacks.
The only time I don't detest Trucks rolling coal is when they are doing it to over zealous tree huggers. The types that know the chants but not a lick of facts.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The only time I don't detest Trucks rolling coal is when they are doing it to over zealous tree huggers. The types that know the chants but not a lick of facts.
So Republicans hate trees too. Got it.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:25 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I did that to a bunch of protesters. Bunch of fruit loops protesting the Bakken Crude I was hauling in a mile long consist. Fools by the rail right of way with bullhorns. So the wind was blowing the right way and I cut loose with the air horns and selected notch eight while traveling slow. The result was all four engines started struggling and bellowing to produce the power I demanded. Black smoke rolling out the stacks buried the protesters. Great fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies