U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 12:03 PM

69,273 posts, read 31,940,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The engineering that went into designing the F-35 is truly amazing and they're still trying to re-engineer the thing even after they have already started producing them. I feel the big issue with the F-35, was trying to make it into the "Swiss Army knife of jet fighters", they tried to cram so much into the plane and have it do so many crazy/amazing things, it just made it hard to pull it all off.
Agree.

I've been to that SC base many times. And other pilots will still be flying the remaining F-35Bs. My thoughts and best wishes are with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 12:29 PM

6,547 posts, read 1,347,010 times
That F-35 photo in the article looks like a spaceship.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:49 PM

5,972 posts, read 3,694,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Agree.

I've been to that SC base many times. And other pilots will still be flying the remaining F-35Bs. My thoughts and best wishes are with them.
My cousin was stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort for 3 years in the mid to late 90's. The one time I went to visit him, I got to go onto the base and was able to sit in an F/A-18 Hornet that was being worked on in a hanger (it was leaking fluids really bad).

I'm 6'2" and not really bulky, but the Hornet cockpit is tight, fits like a glove, which I guess was the design. I can only imagine breaking the sound barrier in one of those!

Old 09-29-2018, 10:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 914,116 times
Why is this in the political section?

Old 09-30-2018, 06:05 AM

13,752 posts, read 4,725,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Why is this in the political section?

The F-35 program has been a political hot potato with even Trump threatening to intervene.

It has cost a vast amount of public money, and there has been some argument as to the effectiveness of the aircraft.

It has been very political and controversial over the last decade, and the crash has been covered across lots of new outlsets across the world.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:56 AM

9,405 posts, read 16,220,201 times
Most likely pilot error. The F35 has a significant learning curve from other aircraft.

Did you know that most of the tech is built into the helmet? When A pilot puts on the helmet they are flying with a 360 X-ray view through the aircraft. The pilot has to operate the controls without seeing them.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:29 AM

36,709 posts, read 20,259,230 times
The article doesn't specify, but my guess is that it was likely practicing a vertical landing. Very tricky maneuver that can get unbalanced and out of control quickly, with infinitesimal room for error.

Back in my day (45 years ago) the USMC was bringing the VSTOL AV-8A Harrier into service and it had those teething issues.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:57 AM

13,752 posts, read 4,725,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The article doesn't specify, but my guess is that it was likely practicing a vertical landing. Very tricky maneuver that can get unbalanced and out of control quickly, with infinitesimal room for error.

Back in my day (45 years ago) the USMC was bringing the VSTOL AV-8A Harrier into service and it had those teething issues.

The Harrier proved itself to be a good aircraft despite the usual teething problems and I am sure the F-35 will.

In terms of STOVL it makes good sense in relation to landing on aircraft at sea and I am sure the F-35 will be a very capable airacraft.

I have heard some criticism of the F-35 however if you look back in history, a lot of projects received such criticism including the Harrier which proved itself during the Falklands Wr of 1982 when 10,000 miles from home, without any nearby airfields and outnumbered by a relatively modern airforce of the time which was equipped with A4 and French Dassault Mirage Jets complete with the latest missiles, and which were only 300 miles from home.

In aerial combat the Harriers destroyed 23 aircraft with the only loses in the air two aircraft lost to ground fire and two aircraft lost in a collision.

There have been many aircraft that came from far stranher beginings than the Harrier, indeed the Royal Navy Blackburn Buccaneer's, which opperating from the Royal Navy's fleet carriers could attack at high speed and low level over a long range with a heavy nuclear payload. The ruggesd powerful Buccaneers capibilities are still fairly unique to this day and the same type of people criticising the Harrier or Buccaneer were no doubt similar to those criticising the F-35 today.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-30-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 09-30-2018, 09:22 AM

15,833 posts, read 10,356,442 times
It is not unusual for new aircraft types to have higher accident rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or