Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyKay44 View Post
It may not turn out the way you think

If the Fed keeps raising rates we may see another housing market implosion and that will mean the end of Californians turning Red states into purple, etc. They'll be grounded for a very long time.

At this point it's not really a question if but actually when.
Not happening. The Majority of the tech workers forced to move are not homeowners - but rent at very high prices. I know there are exceptions.....but the biggest block of Texas bound employees are like call centers, customer service, etc.

"Apple’s massive 1.1-million-square-foot campus in Austin is home to a customer service center, human resources functions, and its online store."

Those are not usually the people who own a house in Palo Alto.

I think house prices have already stabilized in the Bay Area, but we are unlikely to see "make me move" situations (foreclosures). Just as BMW finds workers will do more for less in SC (sort of the "china" for BMW compared to the good wages and benefits in Germany).....same goes with tech companies. They move for the "deals".....and so they can pay less.

The general move toward warmer areas will continues simply due to the advent of good cheap air conditioning and the installation of culture into many of these places (Austin, etc.)....Gainesville, FL is now one of the fastest growing cities around too!

I think it will continue. Lots of forces at work....what I see is that the extended family is really rare these days. I was raised with lots of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. all living in the Philly area. Now they have spread out all over the place so there is less reason for most people to tie themselves to their roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 PM

271 posts, read 139,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Not happening. The Majority of the tech workers forced to move are not homeowners - but rent at very high prices. I know there are exceptions.....but the biggest block of Texas bound employees are like call centers, customer service, etc.

"Apple’s massive 1.1-million-square-foot campus in Austin is home to a customer service center, human resources functions, and its online store."

Those are not usually the people who own a house in Palo Alto.

I think house prices have already stabilized in the Bay Area, but we are unlikely to see "make me move" situations (foreclosures). Just as BMW finds workers will do more for less in SC (sort of the "china" for BMW compared to the good wages and benefits in Germany).....same goes with tech companies. They move for the "deals".....and so they can pay less.

The general move toward warmer areas will continues simply due to the advent of good cheap air conditioning and the installation of culture into many of these places (Austin, etc.)....Gainesville, FL is now one of the fastest growing cities around too!

I think it will continue. Lots of forces at work....what I see is that the extended family is really rare these days. I was raised with lots of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. all living in the Philly area. Now they have spread out all over the place so there is less reason for most people to tie themselves to their roots.

If the housing market sees a 2008 style crash, you'll see a chain reaction crash in all markets.

None off these people will be going anywhere, especially not back to Texas to vote for more Democrats! They'll e curled up in the fetal position on their futons.

Last edited by KathyKay44; 10-01-2018 at 10:08 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 10:05 PM

510 posts, read 609,907 times
El Paso is a safer city by nearly any measure than Cruz's hometown of Houston. In fact it has been one of the safest big cities in America for decades. So it seems like they're doing something right down there.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Yep, such a safe city.

5 homicides in about a week from September 8th to September 15th.

El Paso is also legendary for hit and run's, illegal alien drop house.

Looks like the police standards are extremely low. Not very common for a police department to have two child abuse cases going on with-in a very short time period.

Two police officers lately have been arrested for child abuse. One for severely injuring his son less than a year old and another for drowning his baby in a bathtub.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...on/1317498002/

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...ins/799643002/

Wonder how much of the crime they actually submit to the FBI.

I doubt El Paso will be taking for safest city crown from Gilbert, AZ and

5 homicides from September 8th to September 15th.

https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/eppd-m...riple-homicide

Triple homicide with three teenagers gunned down in broad daylight on Sep 15th

https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/stabbi...en-to-hospital

Homicide with date listed in news article September 8th,.

https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/murder...r-east-el-paso

Another homicide story from September 8th
Yeah, but El Paso IS the safest large city in Texas. You can’t refute that.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:10 AM

80 posts, read 101,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
non-citizens ( legal or not ) are not elligible to vote in CA or any other state. if you have information that they have you might want to turn that over to trump and chis kobach, they seemed to have some problems supporting that claim.
No they don't, they have all the proof they need. It's why it's under investigation. So why is California fighting proper Voter Identification if it's not true?

Old 10-02-2018, 06:12 AM

80 posts, read 101,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
But he and Cruz are neck and neck in the polls

Hiliary will win by a landslide......

Old 10-02-2018, 06:23 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
He's been the us rep for my district since 2013, so yes, he is supposed to be representing me. He was on our city council from 2005-2011 and didn't do anything good for us. Just higher taxes, bond projects, and other things that seeiously raised our taxes.
What would you have preferred he do?

Would you rather live in a city that isn’t (now) attractive to new business?
That isn’t (now) seeing opportunities for young people that didn’t exist before?

Seriously, what should have been happening in El Paso while he’s been in office?

As for the OP, yet another “hit” thread intended to disparage and demean another large, vibrant city by showing a snapshot of poor/stupid behavior.
The only purpose these threads serve is to show how much the OP hates many of his/her fellow citizens.
I think mental health care is in order.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Isn’t El Paso the safest large city in Texas?

https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/report...-safest-cities
It does regularly appears on that list.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

I doubt El Paso will be taking for safest city crown from Gilbert, AZ...
What is the population of Gilbert, AZ? Less than 300,000 isn’t it?

Still not understanding how these rankings work, are you?

El Paso ranked 7th safest LARGE city this year.

El Paso

BTW, three of the LARGE cities ahead of El Paso in the rankings are in CA.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
OK, my head is spinning again. Please help me.

For decades I've heard that women SHOULD BE stay at home moms. Your same "type" went completely looney when Hillary said she was going to be an activist and NOT stay at home and bake cookies. The Evangelical Right glorifies stay-at-home moms and Texans, by Gawd, has lots of Evangelicals....

So, please, explain to me why a stay at home mom is now "bad"??? Orthodox Jewish Women stay at home (and many collect welfare). Lots of white Christian moms stay at home and collect all kinds of benefits.

In fact, I'd bet most of the moms you are discussing are religious Christians.

Please - my head is spinning. Explain. Is it "liberal" now to stay at home and raise kids?
Yeah, that argument has been trotted out before in one of these ridiculous threads.
I asked the same question - never got a cogent response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies