Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:36 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,805,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
^^^ This was his campaign promise so he is the one who should be held accountable. He duped everyone who believed him on this issue.
He reminds me of the last president. Funny how the right held Obama accountable but not so on Trump. He needs to go and a conservative needs to replace him in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 08:35 PM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Sorry, I guess you are correct. I didn't understand that there was the timeline of infinity for the building of the wall.

Who said anything about infinity? Last I heard a president can't serve through infinity.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, he said Mexico would play for the wall. But how will that happen?

If you put a 20% import duty on goods coming from Mexico, that's not Mexico paying for the wall. Like all taxes, that simply is passed onto the consumer. So you pay $1.20 for a cucumber instead of $1. 20 cents goes to the the US government. The American consumer pays for the wall. Mexico gets economically hurt because higher prices mean less trade, but they're still not paying for the wall.

Here's your clue...."Mexico gets economically hurt" so yes they would be paying for the wall. I don't care if I have to contribute to the wall to because it is well needed and cost effective. You guys sound a bunch of parrots in here making every excuse in the book.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:40 PM

34,301 posts, read 15,599,055 times
Another FAKE NEWS THREAD disregarding up-date information and what Trump said.

Democrats the slander and crime party.

Even the leftist clown in this link knows the wall is postponed and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwesZjKmJ-c

Last edited by phma; 09-30-2018 at 08:50 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 08:42 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
Trump Signs Another Big Spending Bill With No Money For His Wall

WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump quietly signed legislation on Friday that spends $853 billion on the Department of Defense and other federal agencies and zero dollars on his long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The signature averts a partial government shutdown that would have taken place at midnight Monday had Trump vetoed the measure, as he has threatened to do for months if the Republican-led Congress failed to provide wall money.

“This shows the president to be a total wuss on the budget,†said Stan Collender, a longtime former staffer for both House and Senate budget committees.

In campaign rallies, Trump had repeatedly threatened to force a government shutdown if he did not get at least several billion dollars to start building a wall. On Sept. 20, two days after the Senate approved the latest spending package with a 93-7 vote, Trump wrote on Twitter: “I want to know, where is the money for Border Security and the WALL in this ridiculous Spending Bill, and where will it come from after the Midterms? Dems are obstructing Law Enforcement and Border Security. REPUBLICANS MUST FINALLY GET TOUGH!â€

“This is the opposite of Teddy Roosevelt. Speak loudly and carry a small stick,†Collender laughed, adding that in future negotiations, congressional leaders will remember Trump’s failure to follow through on this threat. “The Hill doesn’t forget. They’re going to discount everything he says.â€

Some of Trump’s supporters and informal advisers had been pushing him to veto the spending bill and force Congress to provide wall funding. They feared that his most enthusiastic supporters will sit out the midterm elections if they feel Trump has abandoned his first and most frequently repeated campaign promise.

“President Trump has made it clear he will not use his veto power to get his border wall,†said William Gheen, head of the hard-line group Americans for Legal Immigration. “He ramped up his rhetoric that he would veto spending bills that didn’t fund the wall, and here he is signing it.â€

Trump signed the measure out of sight of the media. It was announced hours later in a press release that merely restates the bill’s dry, legislative summary. The bill provides a full year’s funding for the departments of Defense, Education, Labor and Health and Human Services, as well as funding through Dec. 7 for agencies not covered by this legislation or by a previous spending bill.

Trump promised from the day he began his campaign in June 2015 that he would build a “great wall†to end illegal immigration from Mexico.

“I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively,†Trump said in his Trump Tower announcement. “I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.â€

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0343b3dc01d60

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what happened Republicans? You control both chambers of Congress yet you won't give him his wall.
Why not? Is it because he lied about Mexico paying for it?
What happened to his photo op signing bills

Old 09-30-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When even Trump realizes that he has to shape up to avoid trouble, you know that things are looking very bad for the Republican administration. He excluded the media from the signing of this bill. He probably didn't want any of them there, who might ask him about the absence of funding for his wall.

One again, it's not Trump's wall it is the wall passed by congress via the Secure Fence Act back in 2006 but was never funded.....next!

Old 09-30-2018, 08:43 PM

20,794 posts, read 9,435,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How many times does it have to be repeated to you and yours that no legislation can pass congress without some Democrats on board. Also, not all Republicans in congress are behind Trump either. They have been bucking him just as most of the Democrats have. Trump has gotten some funds for the wall already and at least it's a start. He also has a plan (link posted) to make Mexico pay for it involuntarily. It's not Trump's wall anyway. It's the 700 mile long wall already approved by congress back in 2006. Why aren't you holding them accountable for not funding it?
In other words, the wall is never going to get built. Got it.

If a wall that was approved 12 years ago still hasn't received funding, why should anyone expect that things should be any different now?

Old 09-30-2018, 08:45 PM

10,650 posts, read 4,280,350 times
Quote:
^^^ This was his campaign promise so he is the one who should be held accountable. He duped everyone who believed him on this issue.
Trump has kept more promises in 2 years than Obama did in 8 years.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:45 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,098,532 times
I know the same posters trying to give Trump a pass on this still say Obama lied about not closing Gitmo. If you say Obama is responsible for what Congress doesn't do on his watch, tenTrump is equally to blame. Looks like Trump lied about building the wall.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:53 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,593,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Trump has kept more promises in 2 years than Obama did in 8 years.
Nice deflection but this isn't about Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies