Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Congrats. You at least mention the real, original reasons for opposing Kavanaugh from the day he was nominated. Roe v Wade & SSM. All this lying, anger stuff are distractions from the fact you all fear what his judicial opinions might be.
And there is only 2 things wrong with HAPA's statement. 1-it is unlikely either Roe versus Wade or gay marriage will ever be overturned. And 2-The next nomination might be just as or more conservative> Not to mention even if either were overturned the states could still use state's rights to enforce the law. Why do so many have so much trouble understanding this?

Old 10-03-2018, 10:51 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
More male shaming by feminist yay. How predictable.
Post after post you claim how awful women are, you paint a pictue of all women being exactly how you feel they are, "feminists," who are gyno centric and man hating."

I don't know any women who hate men, I love many men and have no issue with them, they are people and I treat them as individuals. She states that you can't read a woman's mind and that's somehow "male shaming?" I'm going to ask it again, why is always the biggest accusers who are most guilty of the same behavior. It's time to look in the mirror. She didn't say anything other than the truth; you and no one else can read anyone's mind. You make assumtions and claim they are truth. People should be judged as individuals, all people not just men.

Last edited by detshen; 10-03-2018 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I have no idea if Kavanaugh will make it to the court or not. If he likes beer as much as he says, his liver is not going to last another 20-30 years so why are both sides so crazy over this?
It's true; his liver will likely give out before then.

Still, given as many lies as Bart put forth during his raging tantrum, I wouldn't be pointing any fingers if I were the Senate Republicans.

Renate Alumnus is a term of endearment! She was one of us! :roll eyes:

Devil's triangle is a drinking game with 3 cups !

Old 10-03-2018, 10:56 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
The prosecutors certainly seemed to want to make a case, and a jury convicted the men, but all based primarily on the woman's identifying them. And now she says the rape didn't happen. That's not a matter of identifying the wrong person, it's a matter of causing the whole fiasco in the first place.

I think false accusations, where the crime never happened and the alleged victim knows that, are very rare. But her actions took 26 years of this man's life away from him. None of this happens without her initial claims. I'm not inclined to let her off the hook even the slightest bit.

Having said that, there's another hook for the prosecutors and what really appears to have been, and what continues to be, a really corrupt criminal justice system.
Niether am I. What she did was atrocious as well as criminal and should be prosecuted. She hurt this man, all men and all women with her actions. It's indefensible. The idea that all woman blindly stand by all women, even those who do terrible things is false. It seems like many posters do stand by all men no matter what they do, if they rape, so what? It might not be true so she should have no recourse. maybe we should just make rape legal and women need to get used to it. Is that what some posters want? It sure seems like it.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:56 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
Christine Blasey Ford’s Credibility Under New Attack by Senate Republicans

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/03/u...kavanaugh.html

The above article names the boyfriend.
New York Times got the name from an article written by the Wall Street Journal on September 19, 2018
I should have remembered this myself - I read the WSJ article.
Portrait of Kavanaugh Accuser Christine Blasey Ford: Thorough, Guarded, Accomplished Academic |WSJ 10/19/18.
Sorry - it has a paywall, I'm a subscriber.

This is the relevant part:

After high school, Dr. Ford threw herself into her studies, spending much of her time working in research labs, Ms. Piwowarski said.

At Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., where she pursued a master’s degree, she learned to surf and met Brian Merrick, an avid surfer, through mutual friends. They started dating around the end of 1991, which blossomed into an eight-year relationship, said Mr. Merrick, adding that she was “sweet, cute and with a good attitude.” He met and grew fond of her family in the Washington, D.C. area, describing her father as a self-made man whose conservative views sometimes clashed with her liberal outlook. But Mr. Merrick never saw her become involved in or working for a political cause.

At no point in their relationship did she mention an incident involving Judge Kavanaugh—whose name he had never heard before—or any case of sexual assault.

“It strikes me as odd it never came up in our relationship,” Mr. Merrick said. “But I would never try to discredit what she says or what she believes.”

Mr Merrick apparently (from his letter to Grassley) got concerned when he heard that Blasey Ford had taken a polygraph and decided to contact the Judiciary Committee - they have talked to him several times and now have a statement under Penalty of Perjury.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:57 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's true; his liver will likely give out before then.

Still, given as many lies as Bart put forth during his raging tantrum, I wouldn't be pointing any fingers if I were the Senate Republicans.

Renate Alumnus is a term of endearment! She was one of us! :roll eyes:

Devil's triangle is a drinking game with 3 cups !
Lying is now a plank in the Party of Trump's platform. It starts right at the top.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:02 AM

8,501 posts, read 3,340,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
At some point history repeats itself.

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory...of_decency.htm
Per your cite ... McCarthy tried to continue his attack, Welch angrily interrupted, "Let us not assassinate this lad further, senator. You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency?"

Historically there are cycles of intense partisanship (Civil War days, anyone, and when was it that some Congressman attacked another with a cane?) ... Lee Atwater introduced a type of scorched earth politics that he later repented ... the primary attacks on John McCain ... swift boating of John Kerry ... me, I never recovered from my take on the current POTUS based on the Republican primaries.

Those events involved the executive and legislative branches but, sure, there have been inroads into the SCOTUS from both Democrats (on Bork) and Republicans (with Garland).

Really Shakespeare says it best: Before he dies, Mercutio curses both the Montagues and Capulets, crying several times, "A plague o' both your houses!" (Act III, Sc. 1, often quoted as "A pox on both your houses").

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Default Democrat senator: Doesn't matter if Kavanaugh is innocent or guilty

Says it's all about Kavanaugh's temperament

If this amazing and brilliant is not confirmed because of the liberals, hopefully President Trump nominates a female Scalia.

Says the senator who yells at people he doesn't agree with in the US Senate Chambers.

Here is a video of the former failed mayor of high-tax, high-crime, partially boarded-up Newark and now New Jersey senator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7VVVsGRvuc

Yet, he says Kavanaugh doesn't have the temperament.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...eone_else.html

I think Kavanaugh is amazing and should be confirmed but if he is not cofirmed, hopefully President Trump appoints the most conservative female he can find for the supreme court.

17,441 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Woke up to these bombshells courtesy of Rush this morning. Have to look for stories to read more. I knew Grassley had taken statements from two men. Who is the other guy?

I doubt anyone takes Julie Swetnick seriously any more but in case you do, here is what her own father said.
Former DC Weatherman Says Swetnick’s Dad Told Him She Had ‘Psychological Problems’ | The Daily Caller
Have you read the Grassley Timeline of interviews? He lists them in order, he doesn't often give names.
FBI is likely to have talked to each of these people.

Senator Grassley Timeline & Letter posted on 10/2/18

Old 10-03-2018, 11:04 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,843,415 times
Corey Booker is angry and yelling. He needs to look in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies