Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:32 AM

718 posts, read 598,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
That's it in a nutshell. Interestingly enough some of the loudest mouths on the Senate floor have skeletons of their own and yet nobody is calling for their heads...
Those who yell the loudest tend to have the most to hide.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:34 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
NEVER equate what happened to Emmett Till with Bret Kavanaugh.

Your equating those two circumstances shows you have so little historical knowledge and empathy that your perspective is set in granite.

Brett Kavanaugh could have been one of the men in that lynch mob...
He is a "victim" that has suffered no harm because apparently he is going to get what he wants and the President wanted
He will likely be voted onto the Court...and laugh at how he has manipulated the American public and the political system...
The "emotional" toll likely won't last any longer than the vote...

The GOP of the South now are the sons and daughters of those who were voting Democratic after the Civil War simply because Lincoln was a Republican...
They turned when LBJ forced the Civil Rights Legislation through and made the laws of the US elevate African Americans to an equal footing -- at least in law--with whites...so the South lost its weighty ability to abuse blacks on almost every level--but we know from all manner of means that racism was not eradicated in the South or in other parts of the country--and we can see that it has come home to roost in the GOP w/Trump

The South turned GOP because of its refusal to be part of a party that would espouse Civil Rights...
And that still seems to be one of the high points of voting GOP---to oppose equal rights for any minority--
Be it racially based or gender based or religious based...

Emmitt Till has more in common with Christine Ford any day of the week than Brett Kavanaugh--
The reason Kavanaugh is claiming to be a victim is because that appeals to the bunkered point of view of the GOP...especially the males who always feel threatened by women who want equality...
It was a very effective POLITICAL point of view....it strikes a lot of notes with the base...

Kavanaugh has come out now with a sop to the people who took issue with his partisan, hysterical rant on Thursday...
If he were HONEST he wouldn't have to do that--he would stand by what he had said if he really felt he was a victim...I guess that makes him a real Snowflake...but anything to get that job...
It is just more protective political strategy
Well, that was an effort of mental gymnastics beyond any I've ever seen.

Emmett Till - Woman claims that Till groped and sexually harrassed her in a grocery store. She is willing to testify to this under oath. There is no corroborating evidence. Till claims innocence.

Brett Kavanaugh - Woman claims Kavanaugh groped her and laid on top of her a party in the early 80s. She is willing to testify to this under oath. There is no corroborating evidence. Kavanaugh claims innocence.

You say there is no comparison? Really. Because your long exercise in mental gymnastics above doesn't account for what I just wrote - the two case are remarkably similar. You believe Ford like those who lynched Till believed Bryant (woman who accused Till). What does that say about you?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:34 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
As I am watching all this craziness, one thing strikes out at me. It's that NOT ONE SINGLE DEMOCRAT in the Senate or on here seems to have had their mind changed by the news that there is nothing else in the FBI report that came out to implicate Kavanaugh. NOT ONE. I know why the Senators aren't changing their minds or votes. It's of course because all of this was a smear campaign in the first place. What they didn't count on was that the GOP would give them their 7th investigation.

But wouldn't at least a few Democrats that are interested in the truth believe the outcome of the report if they really WERE interested in the truth?

I would really love to hear from some of you Democrats as to WHY you believe Ford. Not comments like 'Why would she come out and do this to her life...blah, blah...but things like I believe her because of _________________ fill in the blank with actual evidence.

I know that once you pick a side, it's hard to maybe admit that you were wrong. But think about it. NOT ONE DEMOCRAT OR POSTER changed their mind after the investigation. And to the Democrats voters...you are being played.
That's the insane part in all of this.

In the beginning I gave the woman the benefit of the doubt. Albeit I thought it bad form to bring these charges so late in the nomination process, with no evidence, from 36 years ago.

It is difficult to prove something happened 36 years ago, unless you can get all of your witnesses to swear under oath that YES Kavanaugh did it. Or at a minimum agree that they remember being at the same party with Ford and Kavanaugh. But we cannot get anyone to agree with any of this,

Even Ford's best friend at the time, swore under oath that she's never attended any party like that. She's never even met Kavanaugh in her life, much less sat around at a small house party drinking beers with him.

So, to all you Democrats. What is it that makes you think Christine Ford's accusations have any credibility, whatsoever?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:37 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What a surprise. An "investigation" hell bent on acquittal didn't discover anything of value The investigation was run by Republicans in which the Republican president muzzled the FBI and directed who and what could be investigated and the length of time the investigation could last. They then review these secret documents that no one else can see to determine his guilt or innocence. These same Republicans who want to confirm Kavanaugh refuse to condemn his shameless partisan and dishonest behavior during questioning. Why? Because they are determined to appoint Kavanaugh at whatever cost. So Repubs, you can cheer and crow about your victory all you want, but don't pretend this investigation was complete and objective, because it certainly was not that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Yeah? How about those Democrats. Copied/pasted from above:

A woman that Christine Blasey Ford claimed was at the party where Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh allegedly assaulted her circa 1982 told FBI investigators that Dr. Ford's "allies" tried to pressure her to change her story about what happened.

Leland Keyser told investigators that Ford's friend, former FBI agent Monica McLean, had urged her to alter the original statement that she gave about not remembering any such party and not knowing Kavanaugh, The Wall Street Journal reported.

The Journal noted that Keyser's statement to the FBI offered "a glimpse into how Dr. Ford’s allies were working behind the scenes to lobby old classmates to bolster their versions of the alleged incident."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/36744...-ryan-saavedra
How about them? The same article you used as proof disproves your claim. And even if it were true, Dr. Ford wasn't the one doing it. Further down in the article, it says, "In a statement, David Laufman, McLean's attorney, denied the allegations, writing: "Any notion or claim that Ms. McLean pressured Leland Keyser to alter Ms. Keyser’s account of what she recalled concerning the alleged incident between Dr. Ford and Brett Kavanaugh is absolutely false."

So what were you saying again?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:37 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
"You people" huh? You mean the people that expect, no, DEMAND some actual proof and evidence of something before convicting someone of a serious crime?

You mean those people that don't buy into the current B.S. that a person with 2 boobs and who squats to pee MUST be believed if she utters a claim of assault with NO proof and the skimpiest of details?

You mean the reasonable people who look at a person and understand that those people are most likely not the same people that they were in High School and that people can and do change over the span of 30 + years.

You mean those people who are not rabid ideologues and refuse to destroy someone wholly based on what political party they belong to?

You mean those people who expect Congresscritters to be held to the same exact standards they're demanding others be held to (which would clear out about half or more of Congress btw).

Well, if those are the people you're talking about count me in.

Now if you are happy belonging to the group who thinks those Congresscritters who are currently attempting to destroy Kavanaugh while THEIR house is dirty as hell or are as guilty if not more of what they're accusing him of then have at it, you're welcome to 'em...
NOW ^^^THIS^^ above is a "Metoo!" movement I would gladly wave a banner for! Can I join? I want to be one of "THOSE PEOPLE"

btw someone asked earlier in reference to being a democrat and conceding to some facts. While I at one time was a Democrat and still carry some good fundamental morals that were held fast by the democrats ...It took this "straw" to break the camels back to get a fresh pair of eyes on what the democratic party of today is willing to destroy. Ohh I very much dislike Trump himself. I've no desire to be in his blind fold of sheeples...I do though think that given the lesser of two evils ...the republicans have swayed me to refrain from entertaining there is any hope for the democratic party. I am so looking forward to voting ...Not for republicans in my area....They got some looney ideas....But just to be able to NOT vote a democrat in will feel just about right

Old 10-05-2018, 07:39 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,002,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Opinions are fine, but if you are stating something as fact, it helps to have a source. Or you won't be seen as credible.
You know what they say about opinions - everyone has one.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:39 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well, that was an effort of mental gymnastics beyond any I've ever seen.

Emmett Till - Woman claims that Till groped and sexually harrassed her in a grocery store. She is willing to testify to this under oath. There is no corroborating evidence. Till claims innocence.

Brett Kavanaugh - Woman claims Kavanaugh groped her and laid on top of her a party in the early 80s. She is willing to testify to this under oath. There is no corroborating evidence. Kavanaugh claims innocence.

You say there is no comparison? Really. Because your long exercise in mental gymnastics above doesn't account for what I just wrote - the two case are remarkably similar. You believe Ford like those who lynched Till believed Bryant (woman who accused Till). What does that say about you?
All excellent points!

Old 10-05-2018, 07:41 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,002,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Regardless of when the actual vote is, we all know what the end result is on this. The local grocery stores will be stripped bare of Kleenex and Chardonnay....
And cars will be set on fire, windows smashed, and stores looted.

Yes, we all know what is going to happen in the name of the Left's perverted interpretation of the First Amendment.

So much for tolerance, love, peace, and understanding!

Old 10-05-2018, 07:44 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
One can only hope that the GOP has their people digging into Booker's past as we speak...

Cory Booker, the guy who in 1992, admitted to sexually assaulting an unwilling drunk girl in 1984, that Cory Booker?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:48 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Cory Booker, the guy who in 1992, admitted to sexually assaulting an unwilling drunk girl in 1984, that Cory Booker?

Yes, that Cory Booker, the rising star of the DEM Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies