Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:10 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He was mild compared to the brow beating I would have presented.
Of course, I'm guessing you are not a judge, probably not a lawyer either. So you have no training or professional appreciation for the temperament a judge is expected to show, even if he/she is subject to personal attacks (which plenty of judges have faced). Heck even the judge unfairly attacked by the maniac comported himself much better than Kav.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:12 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Let me accuse you of rape. I bet money you don't break out into "The Sound of Music"
He was mild compared to the brow beating I would have presented.
You must have lived an entitled and sheltered life. Good for you.
he isn't being accused of rape.

The person I want on the supreme court is one who can remain impartial. This can't be done if one is emotional or even angry and has a problem with these emotions.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
notice how the MSM is siding with the dems and controlling the narrative? wonder why that is. they wouldn't be trying to sway public opinion would they? nah

Old 10-01-2018, 08:14 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
he isn't being accused of rape.

The person I want on the supreme court is one who can remain impartial. This can't be done if one is emotional or even angry and has a problem with these emotions.

So, you want RBG to step down also, yes?

She has stated publically that she does not like our current president and oh BTW, she stated she was not 100% sober while at the SOTU address....

Anything other than a yes proves you're a hypocrite.....

Old 10-01-2018, 08:16 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
notice how the MSM is siding with the dems and controlling the narrative? wonder why that is. they wouldn't be trying to sway public opinion would they? nah
About 60% of the public do not want Roe overturned.

About 40% oppose Kav at this point with 30% supporting him and the rest undecided.

The public is already not with him.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:18 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
This is 100%, all about Roe v. Wade. Gorsuch wasn't a threat to it. Kavanaugh is.
They're not coming for your abortions....

Old 10-01-2018, 08:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
True to some extent, but it is also based on the fact that the stakes are so high. One of the big weaknesses in our system is that a SCOTUS justice is appointed for life. Maybe that was OK back in 1790 but it makes no sense in this day and age. Second big weakness of our system is the power that we give to a President. That's has never been an issue until Trump; now we see that the whole democratic republic is at risk when someone is at the helm that has no scruples or limits or common sense. These things underlie the intensity of this battle. The whole future of the country is at stake, I guess you could call that a "game", but that tends to obfuscate the seriousness of the situation.
For the life of me I can't see how anyone could be worse than, oh, Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy, etc. I don't mean to just call out Democrats though - what I'm saying is that this ugly game has been playing out for decades, not just under Trump.

And I agree with term limits on Supreme Court Justices and also want them on Senators and Congressmen (and Congresswomen). Enough is enough.

Heck, our local sheriff came from nothing - he grew up poor. He became the sheriff decades ago and voila - now, on a sheriff's salary - he's wealthy. I mean, super wealthy. How did this happen?

If we had term limits I think we could weed out a lot of people who are in it for personal gain. Of course, we might have trouble finding people to actually run for office then, since most sane and honorable people are appalled at political games.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:19 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
We'll see what happens when the Democrats gain control of the Congress in 2018 or 2020. They have two alternatives that the MIGHT pursue, although given their track record at trying to appease the Right Wing, it's unlikely:

1) If Kavanaugh is appointed, pursue a full investigation, not just the 1 week sham that we are getting now. Assuming that the investigation brings sufficient evidence, begin impeachment proceedings against him.

2) Pass new legislation to increase the number of justices on the court - say 10, or 12. Then, appoint justices to those positions.
Better yet, make it 4 Conservative/GOP seats and 4 liberal/Dem seats and make it so that only a convincing 6/2 decision wins.

A conservative judge will always see things through a conservative lens and a liberal judge will always see things through a liberal lens.

If the court is deadlocked on an issue for months, so be it. But a 6/2 decision should be convincing enough since 2 votes from one ideologically opposite side would be cast in favor of the decision.

And ONLY democrats could appoint the four liberal justices and only the GOP can appoint the four conservative justices.

I think that would be an interesting SC.

673 posts, read 465,525 times
Hey pinheads.............if you think you wouldn't be angry as hell if someone made the allegations against you,
then you are lying.

The "nutty professor" is so mentally whacked out, she had to read the allegations. What.......they weren't memorized? But this hack can remember back 36 years back?
No removing of clothing, no rape, no nothin'

You people are insane.

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Both Brett and Ford are victims of a debased political system run by power hungry individuals who are willing to destroy what's left of our democracy.
Amen to this, if I can say "amen" without being ridiculed for my faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies