Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 03:19 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times

Advertisements

Memory is a strong thing.

Many years ago, while a student, DD took part in a lesson for high schoolers. She entered a classroom, started an argument with the teacher that went on a few minutes, then slam out the door.

When she left, the teacher asked the students what had just happened. The answers were all over the place, her appearance, what she had on, how tall, hair color were all over the place. She was 5'2" with blond hair, wore a navy suit. Some thought she was 6 inches taller, red hair, brown hair. etc. The conversation about the argument was also all over the place. That's why I'd never bet the rent money on eye witness testimony.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:19 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Perhaps for the same reason the conservatives believe Kavanaugh when he has zero evidence...
See here's the point that even a second grader could understand. The burden of proof is ON HER. Not him.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:20 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I read today the FBI was told to interview only 4 specifically named people picked by GOP Senate.
Don't believe everything you read or believe every pundit you hear.
Unlikely that anyone gave the FBI a specific list of people to interview and it's not how they really work any way.

Good time to remind everyone I've said this before -
I suspect the FBI has been working all this for a while now - a Federal Judge was accused of a whole bunch of awful stuff and I've always thought that the DOJ/Whitehouse would want to get to the bottom of it quickly. More at stake that just a Supreme Court Justice Nomination. The "accused" is also a Federal Judge on a Circuit Court. FBI doesn't typically discuss what they are investigating.

We will see.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
This is the problem with the MeToo movement. It brings the fringe out because now all woman are empowered. I am NOT diminishing the way woman are treated and condone any unwanted sexual advances. But pulling a 30+ year old accusation out of a hat with such perfect timing to destroy is suspect.

"Now all women are empowered"???

Yeah, you ARE diminishing, but that's not even the point.

Getting the word out that women don't have to stay silent after being assaulted is very important. But ... the actual problem with with the way the #metoo movement has been co-opted here is that people are just using Ford and Kavanaugh to represent their own personal grievances.

The woman yelling at Sen. Flake in the elevator is the perfect example. She was ranting that a vote for Kavanaugh would mean that what she suffered didn't matter.

That's not even close to true, but it serves her purpose perfectly. Women are even saying, "I believe her!" about Ford, which is a little to close to the old "I'm with her!" slogan from Hillary's campaign. And maligning Kavanaugh is the perfect way to get out their rage against all the frat boys who ignored them back in the day.

The timing of this accusation is suspect, but it's not a problem with the #metoo movement.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:22 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Perhaps for the same reason the conservatives believe Kavanaugh when he has zero evidence...
If Ford would give a date and place this incident supposedly occurred, it's very likely Kavanaugh could provide evidence to dispute her allegation. That's exactly why she'll never give that info. Too easy to refute.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:23 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
No one, I mean NO ONE thinks it's weird to take a polygraph on the day of your grandmother's funeral?
I do. I mentioned that in the other thread (closed now, due to unwieldy size).

Old 10-01-2018, 03:24 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
No one, I mean NO ONE thinks it's weird to take a polygraph on the day of your grandmother's funeral?
I think its weird that she testified she didn't remember if it was the day of her grandmother's funeral or the day after.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:26 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That should really pizz off her "friend". So far nothing has come up about health problems.
I've read about her and her Health Problems - she is well loved golf coach at George Washington University. She and her husband are very, very popular.

I don't know exactly what her Health Problems are -- it sounds more like a physical ailment, disease.
Pretty shabby for Blasey-Ford to act like her "life time friend" is a mental case.

The question asked by Rachel Mitchell was about what contact she had with the "named witnesses" since that night ...... the answer from Ford managed to skip over age 15 all the way to age 51 and her current "health issue". Mitchell let it drop - I thought that was a big mistake.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:29 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
she was a self admitted alcoholic at this time...
1 beer...yeah right

she is also a liar
She's a paid liar, she'll say whatever she's told to say and say it how she's told to say it...this is clearly a hit job based on a fictitious event.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:31 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
She wouldn't have been able to prove anything the night it happened. It would have his word against hers 40 years ago. What proof do you think she might have mustered back then?
Nothing. She’s has absolutely no proof of anything.

Reality is that Kavanaugh will get confirmed, and she will be forgotten in a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies