Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 03:53 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,070,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
For the 999th time. Warren does NOT NEED A DNA TEST. Her ancestry has been traced.

She is white white white white white white.

"My grandfather had high cheekbones like all the Indians have." -Elizabeth Warren on why she self-identified as a "minority"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/warren-...gh-cheekbones/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 04:01 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Would you view this guy as "black"? Knowing that he has lived his whole life as a "white" guy and recently discovered he carried 4% sub-Saharan African DNA and wants to use this ethnicity estimate for economic gain.

Can anyone be a member of any race or ethnic group they chose? Sorry no they can't I don't even consider people that marry into my family of different ethnicities(even if they carry a tiny amount of DNA) as being one of us these folks have no connection to the culture or a shared history or values. I can love them and accept them but they are not the same. Not better or worse just different even if they carry a small amount of the same heritage. I'm not black so perhaps Black Americans in general have a much different take.
So you are saying that Elizabeth Warren shouldn't have self-identified as a "minority" Indian?

What percentage of DNA does one need before you think they can self-identify as being part of a group?

If it is merely about looks then Homer Plessy from the famous segregation Supreme Court case can't be considered black, no?

Old 10-02-2018, 04:27 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Your DNA or how you self identify is not as important as how you look. The word race was only intended to morphologically differentiate groups of people.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 10-02-2018 at 05:30 AM..

Old 10-02-2018, 07:58 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
So you are saying that Elizabeth Warren shouldn't have self-identified as a "minority" Indian?

What percentage of DNA does one need before you think they can self-identify as being part of a group?

If it is merely about looks then Homer Plessy from the famous segregation Supreme Court case can't be considered black, no?
1. That's right

2. That depends upon the culture the person is from. FTDNA estimates about 1.5% subsaharan African for me which is likely from multiple ancestors that were part black in the 1500's I'm pretty sure they were white by the early 1600's should I consider myself black? That would be pretty funny. I wasn't born in the US.

3. Someone that doesn't have "black" phenotye can be considered black? Now that's interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Do You Consider This White Guy To Be Black?-ft.png  

Old 10-02-2018, 08:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Lol, so you do not want to answer...got you.

You cannot state what makes someone black.
I did answer you. Black folks know what makes someone black. We know our own people.

If you were black, you’d know too. But you aren’t, so there’s no need for you to bother with it. Bottom line is we’re not gonna let you shoe horn someone into our community that doesn’t belong here. We say who is and isn’t black....not outsiders.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:34 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Do you do a paper bag test or something? Break out a color chart? DO you have a spectrum that indicates when someone is not black? Is this even based on skin color? What exactly makes someone "black"?
LMAO, if only there was a chart!
Reminds me of when Todrickhall got accused of trying to be white for wearing light contacts in his eyes. Those were no contacts! Dang, you can't be black if your eyes aren't dark brown I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrxqgVt4J6Q

Is he black enough??

It's exhausting, all over a layer of skin. Who cares! Just be who you want and enjoy life if you can.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:39 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I did answer you. Black folks know what makes someone black. We know our own people.

If you were black, you’d know too. But you aren’t, so there’s no need for you to bother with it. Bottom line is we’re not gonna let you shoe horn someone into our community that doesn’t belong here. We say who is and isn’t black....not outsiders.
Yes, he is extreme but there are so many more who aren't extreme cases and people like you make them feel stuck between black and white all the time. Outsiders? Shoehorn? Please! Life just isn't that narrow. I don't know what "club," you think you're in but you can't speak for everyone so stop using we.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Yes, he is extreme but there are so many more who aren't extreme cases and people like you make them feel stuck between black and white all the time. Outsiders? Shoehorn? Please! Life just isn't that narrow. I don't know what "club," you think you're in but you can't speak for everyone so stop using we.
I don’t make anyone feel stuck between anything. That’s their own personal issue.

And yeah...outsiders, shoehorn, and club. 100%.

And it doesn’t matter what you know about what club I’m in. I know, and I know who I speak for.

Oh yeah WE!

Anything else?

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 10-02-2018 at 09:18 AM..

Old 10-02-2018, 09:03 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes I consider him to be black. He's as black as Caitlyn Jenner is a woman.

Sorry, you don't get to mismatch social constructs because one is too bizarre than the other.

Pandora's box has been opened and this is what you get: white people who self-identify as black people and vice versa.

If he wants to put "black" on his census, job applications, college applications, etc. then he has 100% every right to do it.

As a black man, my community should be more than happy that white people are opening to embracing black culture. All we do is whine about the whites on the opposite spectrum (alternative right, extremists, conservatives, etc) who outright refuse to embrace anything about black culture.

Oh the irony that we blacks would be so offended by this when this is what we ask for (more whites to understand and relate to blacks) every single day
I have quoted you several times because while I do not fully understand your view, I find it interesting.

To start we agree on the basics, especially with the Bruce Jenner example.
The guy in the story is probably not doing anything in his life related to being black (i.e. food, music, dress/style, etc.) and just intends on using his test to try and break through the AA rubbish of getting a contract based on race.

As to whites being more willing to embrace black culture, this I need to ask a few questions about.
Back in the day, black culture, say in the 1950's seemed to be very similar to American culture regarding love of family, God, country, etc.
Most black folks my parents knew talked about the exact same things everyone else did. How is little Johnny doing in school, needing a new roof on the church, issues within a marriage, you name it.
From an entertainment standpoint many whites appreciated Jazz, Blues, and adult contemporary from black artists because of their talent. This was not even considered accepting black culture because it was more the norm than viewing it as outside the mainstream.

So my question relates to what you said about it being good that whites are more accepting of black culture. What specifically are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Dumbass? She did more for the black community than other blacks do for the black community.

A white person who embraced, supported, and worked for the black community. Oh the horror.

Last time I checked, blacks are always complaining that not enough white people are understanding, accepting, and tolerant of black culture yet here were are chastising a white person who was.
I think you took that posters comment wrong. Dolezal as a white person could have done XYZ just as easily so long as the powers that be allowed her to within groups like the NAACP.
Instead, what they/people mean about her being a kook was pretending to be black, trying to change her appearance to look black (think Michael Jackson in reverse), and claiming she was black. When I first heard about it I didn't know or care, as she might have been a mulatto for all I knew. However when he white parents came out and said she was totally white and showed pictures of her pre-identifying as black, it became clear she had a few screws loose.
The same is obviously true of MJ which of course ended very sadly.

Quote:

I even forget what context the poster you replied to meant their comment.
Regardless, the black folks that I know and feel comfortable hanging around embrace the same values regardless of the color of their skin. They work, send their kids to school, and appreciate living in this great country.
Now some of it might be related to education, but even the ones I have known who are not that educated still embrace the traditional American values of trying to get ahead, and knowing this country, above all others affords us all those type of opportunities.

On a side note, while I am waiting for Rocko20 to respond, there is a story I'd like to get you take on. A guy that worked at the same place (but in a different field) I did would talk with me when it was slow. We mainly talked about sports, but also shot the breeze about general things. He was a security guard, but he was always talking about his other part time jobs and wanting to go back to school as well.

One late night he confided to me that he did not have many black friends anymore. It seemed like a strange thing to say, but it was obviously bugging him.
He went on to say that most of his old friends had started to criticize him for "acting white" because he was "working for the man" and other such nonsense. After listening to his story I came to the conclusion that they were just acting jealous of his getting ahead. He agreed, and more or less had come to the same conclusion.
Still, he said that didn't help the problem of him not being able to have things like they use to be with his old buds.

So being a reasoned black person, what is your view as to why some blacks deride others, and use a racial component to try and make them feel bad?

`

Old 10-02-2018, 09:09 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
No, really...he can’t.
yes, really. he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies