Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 04:43 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Lol. Well, whites did come up with the stupid “one drop” rule, amongst other preposterous racial definitions, like 3/5ths a man... please.
And Native Americans still practice that rule as a requirement to enter a tribe.

And blacks are not totally innocent, They had the paper bag test used as a form of discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 05:49 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm sure even in that case, people will debate who "looks black" or "looks Hispanic" when someone is mixed race. I know people who are a quarter Asian or Middle Eastern and look completely white and white people with no non-white ancestors who look they could be Mexican or mixed with black or Asian.
That's true. I've known verified all European ancestry persons with dark curly hair almost afro like, dark eyes, and who tan very dark, but no one questioned that they were white even back in the 1940s or 50s. I mean, no one question they were white besides maybe an occasional kid or someone trying to be a wise guy.

If race was just a phenotype and not genotype etc, you could divided Europeans into maybe 3 or 4 races, and anthropologist sometimes use to do just that before the 1940s.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
And Native Americans still practice that rule as a requirement to enter a tribe.

And blacks are not totally innocent, They had the paper bag test used as a form of discrimination.
The paper bag test is mostly apocryphal. Far more myth than reality. Yes, colorism has existed in the African American community in some form or fashion since our arrival to these shores many centuries ago, but the paper bag thing was practiced by a small subset of Jack and Jill black folks that represented the ingress into a few bourgeoisie institutions. It was never in ubiquitous habitude.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:00 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Didn't read the whole thread. Based on the OP article, I would have allowed him to get MBE status. It would have been funny watching him realize that being a certified MBE really isn't going to do anything for federal contracting opportunities since they cannot use race as a factor in determining a contract award. Also over 95% of federal contracts are white,male owned businesses so he may be setting himself up for discrimination. Contrary to what people may believe (this is based upon me working in the field of government procurement) many people in various government agencies and government contractors who bid out federal projects - they stereotype MBE businesses as providing poor service and being overpriced (this is not the case but that is the stereotype). As a result - often an MBE business won't get chosen based on those stereotypes alone. I've been in MANY committee evaluations and various meetings about how MBEs are some sort of negative stereotype and due to that people don't want to use them - that's the reason why the rates of MBE's participating in federal government contract awards in particular hasn't changed much in over 30 years.

For states, many of them can have set aside programs; however the jobs that are set aside usually are the low budget jobs so this guy won't make much money off the state as a result for the same reasons I stated above.

All the prejudice displayed on this forum daily by all you posters who have a negative view of "minorities" is the reason why MBEs often don't get awarded contracts.

So I'd give it to him just so he can see there is no real benefit for him or his business. It would be funny IMO.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:05 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
You did not answer; what makes someone black?

Who is "we"? Have you been elected to speak for the black community or something? Can I blame you and the community every time a black person commits a crime? Or are you not a community when that occurs, only a community when a cop shoots a black person?
Our culture and genetics makes us black.

If I can blame you and all "white people" every time a white crazy man or kid shoots up some public space or school then you can do the bold for us black people lol.

I agree with desertdetroiter. If you were black you wouldn't have to ask what makes someone black. You would know that the stuff you wrote above is some BS really and that being black is much more so about a shared cultural experience of being black in America.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:50 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The paper bag test is mostly apocryphal. Far more myth than reality. Yes, colorism has existed in the African American community in some form or fashion since our arrival to these shores many centuries ago, but the paper bag thing was practiced by a small subset of Jack and Jill black folks that represented the ingress into a few bourgeoisie institutions. It was never in ubiquitous habitude.
Not a myth at all, it was in fact put into practice, even by many HBCU's. That is a fact, please feel free to look it at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

If I can blame you and all "white people" every time a white crazy man or kid shoots up some public space or school then you can do the bold for us black people lol.

I agree with desertdetroiter. If you were black you wouldn't have to ask what makes someone black. You would know that the stuff you wrote above is some BS really and that being black is much more so about a shared cultural experience of being black in America.
What is your culture and genetics? Please describe this culture, as anyone of any race can be part of a culture, or did you not know that? Please describe the genetics of a black person, and what genetically makes a person more or less black than another person.

As for your comment, every time a black person gets shot by a cop, yells of "attack on the black community", yet when a black person commits a crime, it is not "black community is committing crime. Seems people like you want to pick when you are a "community".

Old 10-02-2018, 10:21 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:

Says the person who argued with me to no ends in the past that race has no genetic basis.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Didn't read the whole thread. Based on the OP article, I would have allowed him to get MBE status. It would have been funny watching him realize that being a certified MBE really isn't going to do anything for federal contracting opportunities since they cannot use race as a factor in determining a contract award. Also over 95% of federal contracts are white,male owned businesses so he may be setting himself up for discrimination. Contrary to what people may believe (this is based upon me working in the field of government procurement) many people in various government agencies and government contractors who bid out federal projects - they stereotype MBE businesses as providing poor service and being overpriced (this is not the case but that is the stereotype). As a result - often an MBE business won't get chosen based on those stereotypes alone. I've been in MANY committee evaluations and various meetings about how MBEs are some sort of negative stereotype and due to that people don't want to use them - that's the reason why the rates of MBE's participating in federal government contract awards in particular hasn't changed much in over 30 years.

For states, many of them can have set aside programs; however the jobs that are set aside usually are the low budget jobs so this guy won't make much money off the state as a result for the same reasons I stated above.

All the prejudice displayed on this forum daily by all you posters who have a negative view of "minorities" is the reason why MBEs often don't get awarded contracts.

So I'd give it to him just so he can see there is no real benefit for him or his business. It would be funny IMO.
If there was some huge benefit in being black as it appertains to business, that advantage would’ve been quickly attenuated as soon as possible once the secret got out. There’s no way they’d let that continue. Not if that advantage came at any cost to white folks.

All this whining and crying these posters are doing is boring. Lol!
Quote:
Not a myth at all, it was in fact put into practice, even by many HBCU's. That is a fact, please feel free to look it at.

What is your culture and genetics? Please describe this culture, as anyone of any race can be part of a culture, or did you not know that? Please describe the genetics of a black person, and what genetically makes a person more or less black than another person.

As for your comment, every time a black person gets shot by a cop, yells of "attack on the black community", yet when a black person commits a crime, it is not "black community is committing crime. Seems people like you want to pick when you are a "community".
You’re too damn nosy. “What is your culture and genetics?” Get outta here.

And why are you so obsessed with when we consider ourselves a community? What’s it to you? Why do you keep acting as if you’re owed an explanation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Says the person who argued with me to no ends in the past that race has no genetic basis.
I doubt that she ever said that. Of course race has a genetic basis. So what?

Old 10-03-2018, 01:09 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
So, being black gives him a better advantage than his "white privelege"?

Old 10-03-2018, 01:12 AM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don’t know what your friend’s problem is with other black folks. I don’t have those problems.

The only issue I have is that he came to you with it. That’s a no-no. That’s weak, and sad. I’d never do anything like that. I don’t discuss intra-black issues with non blacks...ever. That’s how I was raised and I still adhere to that rule. Whatever issues I have with fellow blacks will be dealt with among other blacks only. I don’t vent to outsiders.

So really, I don’t want to speculate on what his problem is. Yeah, we deride other blacks Intermittently, but there are reasons for that. Some good, and some bad....and I dont always endorse it. It’s situational. Blacks that work with people outside of the community to try and give the community a black eye will always face stiff derision...and I’ll participate in it.

But that’s all I’ll say about it.
Did you just say that because I am a white man I am an outsider in your mind

What exactly am I an outsider to, the human race, American citizenry, what???

I never said he had a problem in the aspect of him being the issue, rather he was lamenting how his childhood friends no longer treated him the same. It is not as if he had become a pedophile or some scourge of society.
So I'd say they were the ones with a problem, considering he was trying to improve his station inn life, and they were resentful if it.

I have other black friends/acquaintances, and I certainly do not consider them outsiders because they are black.
Furthermore, if I think their point of view is relevant on any subject (be it race, politics, etc.) I would not reserve certain subjects to only the white friends/acquaintances that I have. Same with browns, yellows, you name it.
For that matter, I'd consider other whites whom I didn't know or like the "outsiders" compared with my friends of color.
I cannot imagine those who would think differently. But maybe I am missing something, and you will articulate a view I had never considered before.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies