Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 01:09 AM

1,037 posts, read 435,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I didnt know about #3, so it would be correct to say in a situation where police dragged someone out of a building to arrest them, by saying police 'raped' a man before arresting him (that doesnt sound right!)
Also a colloquial term for SCREW, as in intercourse. "We lost the game, we got screwed". One would not consider that criminal rape! I suppose it evolved over the years through word/term origins.

"Hysterectomy", a form of being "Hysterical". A woman screaming during the painful operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 01:12 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Unreal.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:09 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Rape is also a crop.

Rape | plant | Britannica.com

Rapeseed - Wikipedia

Old 10-01-2018, 07:15 AM

57,309 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
I've tried to explain to people that the word RAPE has more meanings that just a sexual assault. It has fallen on deaf ears. I hate the bastardization of the english language.
Sure in the dictionary it has multiple meanings but it is predominantly meant as a sexual violation. When you are overlooked for a promotion do you claim you were raped? The coach certainly could have used another word to explain his issue like "robbed", poor choice and he deserves the suspension.

Last edited by Goodnight; 10-01-2018 at 07:40 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 07:18 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
I read that the head ref in that game was female lol

Old 10-01-2018, 07:28 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sure in the dictionary it has multiple meanings but it is predominantly meant as a sexual violation. When you are overlooked for a promotion do you claim you were raped? The coach certainly could have used another work to explain his issue like "robbed", poor choice of words and he deserves the suspension.
poor choice of words and he didn't deserve the suspension.
A reprimand, maybe, about how one needs to be more ridiculously PC these days.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:33 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
I've tried to explain to people that the word RAPE has more meanings that just a sexual assault. It has fallen on deaf ears. I hate the bastardization of the english language.
Language is flexible and changes as do meanings.
Read some Shakespeare or Chaucer and see.
Stop being a saddle-goose.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:48 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Not the first time a word has been misunderstood.

Washingtonpost.com: D.C. Mayor Acted 'Hastily,' Will Rehire Aide

Old 10-01-2018, 08:06 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
No matter the specific word he used, any coach blaming the officials for losing a football game should be summarily fired. Bad calls go both ways.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:34 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sure in the dictionary it has multiple meanings but it is predominantly meant as a sexual violation. When you are overlooked for a promotion do you claim you were raped? The coach certainly could have used another word to explain his issue like "robbed", poor choice and he deserves the suspension.
In this case, it's clearly a form of bullying as his word is quite valid in a standard English dictionary.

There may have been better words to use but to attack and suspend someone over something like that is frankly unconscionable.

Most bullies are themselves bullied. Clearly with tensions high on some topics and some people are upset so here is an example of them taking it out any chance they get on a target of opportunity.

Not trying to educate or council but to beat down and revel in it. Again, classic bullying.
I saw this ALL THE TIME in highschool and junior high.....saw it again recently to one of my kids whose school had a mean-girl pack of cheerleaders.

Don't be a bully, don't support bullies even if they have been wronged themselves it doesn't give them a free hunting license.

P.S. "Getting raped" in the context of sports is not an uncommon term. Giving an example of a work promotion is not anywhere similar to a sporting turn of phrase. Like saying "I nailed the test" doesn't become a phrase you can bully people over just because "nailed" can also have a sexual connotation in other settings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies