Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:52 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Here's a solid question: Would you rather have 1000 cops in your city wearing facial recognition body cameras that hold them accountable, or would you rather have 1000 traffic cameras that could potentially recognize your license plate?

I have no problems with taking the bad guys off our streets. I worry more about good guys becoming bad guys because of a 'system'. All of this is new territory. I just want us aware of where we are headed and why we are headed in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 10:56 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have no problems with taking the bad guys off our streets. I worry more about good guys becoming bad guys because of a 'system'. All of this is new territory. I just want us aware of where we are headed and why we are headed in that direction.
Good guys aren't bad guys unless they break the law. If I stop at a toll road, pay my toll, the camera doesn't take a photo of my plate. If I run through the tollway at 80 mph without paying, my plate gets taken.

If I stop at a red light, no fine. If I run a red light, fine.

It's not a hard subject to understand. This doesn't make me a "slave" as several people have said, just someone who follows the rules. If you associate rules with owning slaves, then change the rules. But being an anarchist is going to get you in trouble with the folks who make the laws.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:56 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
People are lead so easily and many never research these subjects or see the outcome until it is too late.

As a retired truck driver I have seen what happens when some areas of our Country have installed the red light cameras. It leads to more accidents and not fewer accidents. All you have to do is look at the tire marks on the pavement and glass and plastic on the sides of the road.

Speed cameras bother me because there are no guidelines. I am afraid that people will be repeat offenders long before they see the first ticket in the mail. With an officer you know you broke the law as they pull you over to write the ticket. Of course all motorist should always obey the speed limits; but we know it does not work that way. I am afraid that we could make criminals out of productive members of our society and they will not even see it coming.

I liked 'rbohm' from Arizona and their statement that the people of Arizona voted against these speed and red light cameras. I wished that my State and other states would place the issue on the ballot.

a funny story about those speed cameras, seems a guy was riding around and one of them flashed at him. he didnt think he was speeding, but he wasnt sure, so he went by the camera again at a slower speed and it still flashed at him. he went by that camera three more times, again each time at a slower speed.

when the mail came a few weeks later, he had five tickets for not wearing a seat belt.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
I would say that this country is only partially run by the state. The majority of this country is run by the corporations who keeps us slaves and the media who tells us what we want to hear.
They are an arm of the State therefore they are the State.

I wish I could write the laws and have the government back them with its monopoly of force. But alas, I'm not Citi Group.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Good guys aren't bad guys unless they break the law. If I stop at a toll road, pay my toll, the camera doesn't take a photo of my plate. If I run through the tollway at 80 mph without paying, my plate gets taken.

If I stop at a red light, no fine. If I run a red light, fine.

It's not a hard subject to understand. This doesn't make me a "slave" as several people have said, just someone who follows the rules. If you associate rules with owning slaves, then change the rules. But being an anarchist is going to get you in trouble with the folks who make the laws.
There are following the rules and following the rules. With the red light cameras safety was compromised. In some studies the accidents tripled: https://www.motorists.org/issues/red...ase-accidents/. Just because our government claims safety it does not mean that we are safe. When those cameras first came out there were reports that the timing of the yellow caution lights were reduced as the revenue went down.

Supposedly the new speed cameras in Philly will send out the tickets if you are (I believe) 11 miles over the limit and they are supposed to warn the drivers. How things start is not always a precursor of how they end up.

As far as speed cameras in the first place: Why does our government allow manufactures to produce vehicles that will go three and four times the speed limit. Think of today's technology. It would be very easy to create vehicles that never went over the speed limit or ever went through a red light. Heck; we could even produce vehicles that never let a felon drive - period! But that does not create revenue and that is what all this is about.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
a funny story about those speed cameras, seems a guy was riding around and one of them flashed at him. he didnt think he was speeding, but he wasnt sure, so he went by the camera again at a slower speed and it still flashed at him. he went by that camera three more times, again each time at a slower speed.

when the mail came a few weeks later, he had five tickets for not wearing a seat belt.

Something like that is what I worry about. Motorist that get multiple tickets; there are criminal charges that might follow those tickets. Then the motorist have the insurance companies to worry about after that. Our government agencies are not that quick about mailing some times. It is very easy for me to see this happening to people that travel the same route every day or sometimes multiple trips each day.

If we want a legal system that works; it has to be fair. This is not fair; you have to pull over and cite guilty motorist when they break the law

Old 10-04-2018, 02:54 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

I wish I could write the laws and have the government back them with its monopoly of force. But alas, I'm not Citi Group.

The federal government does not license or register business entities. That is a function of the States.

Quote:
There are following the rules and following the rules. With the red light cameras safety was compromised. In some studies the accidents tripled:
And would have declined over time, had they been left in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The question is, why does this lame excuse work on so many people?
Because it does work, and if police spent more time patrolling neighborhoods instead of writing speeding tickets, crime would decrease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
People refuse to see what's going on. The government controls the press, ...
You're free to start your own Media organization free of government control.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:42 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

What you gonna do about it? The option is to move to Liberia, which is corporate free last I heard...

Old 10-04-2018, 03:48 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The federal government does not license or register business entities. That is a function of the States.
A State (capital S) means any government (The U.S. fedguv, the State of Minnesota, Smith Township inside of Minnesota).

Old 10-04-2018, 03:49 PM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
Here's a solid question: Would you rather have 1000 cops in your city wearing facial recognition body cameras that hold them accountable, or would you rather have 1000 traffic cameras that could potentially recognize your license plate?
In my experience, most of the time the bodycam video exonerates the police officer and shows what an *hole the subject was. Cuts both ways. And an officer wearing a bodycam video recorder is going to work real hard at not having any interaction that will get him/her a beef. It's a win-win IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies