Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
People know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard
My line of work, loss prevention/private security consultant, has increasingly become a step-by-step guide on how to avoid having the government destroy your life for s-hits and giggles.

I come across reluctant clients all the time...still thinking the government is there to help and going to protect them. I've told multi-millionaires, straight to their face, that I take their money no matter if they heed my advice or not but I'd prefer that they stay alive and out of prison so I can keep cashing their checks.

As you can see, I'm a people-person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Everybody breaks the law, everyday and more than once.
Government: making you a felon three times per day with numerous misdemeanors sprinkled in for good measure.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Grow up and become accountable for your own actions. Stop breaking the law.
What crimes did you commit?

Old 10-01-2018, 05:54 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What crimes did you commit?
I was in the wrong car with the wrong person with a whole lot of wrong things under the seat I was sitting in. Let's just leave it at that. That was a loooong time ago and I learned my lessons.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I was in the wrong car with the wrong person with a whole lot of wrong things under the seat I was sitting in. Let's just leave it at that. That was a loooong time ago and I learned my lessons.
So you were incarcerated for a statute not a crime? Good ol' "dominion and control" is some magical stuff in the hands of the government. Not to mention the fact owning something is only a crime in fantasy Statist land because reality is property rights are absolute.

I can't talk too much smack as I was a Statist in the CJ field for many years before becoming woke to freedom. I'm not discounting the scarring impact of prison. I worked in them and grew up in an open-air one (aka the ghetto) but that should only further your resolve in combating the most heinous criminals in the world: the State.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:05 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
I don't personally consider checking license plates giving up a liberty, since cops do this every time they pull up behind you at a stop light. Now if they put in some sort of tracing or tracking system and are following your movements, then I would have a problem with it for sure.
This is kind of why its a complicated question. If you live in a city-even a small one, this is very very doable and abusable. Lets say you have a main strip, and you put in JUST a simple system. Designed by say...someone like me.

LITERALLY the cost could be under a million and I could drop in 120 systems mounted on the local poles. Weatherproof, and able to identify every car that goes by. All the data for ever single car that goes by. Speed estimates based upon motion vs the image, even some decent facial recognition. In a small city I could probably tell you where a car was 90% of the time. I could highlight when someones actions were out of the ordinary. Where people liked to eat, and I could probably correlate everyone you know based on who you visited.

Let me add in a software defined radio, and I will pull the phone emissions, and tell you EXACTLY where everyone is and went. If someone buys drugs, I could probably assign probabilities to their friends based on that. If you buy drugs, and someone else is in the car I could flag them and track them.

And much much more. And this is just the beginning. Given a large enough database you could flag potential criminals with a AI. Give people "criminal probability" scores that would be pretty good to be honest.

Big data is far scarier then people realize. And the amount of tech that can be used is massive. The ability to read cell phones ID has been demonstrated:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-cell...i-key-sniffer/

Paranoid? Want to know if you are being followed? Here you go. Just watch for persistent cell phones, or ones that reappear regularly. Especially useful if your a drug kingpin! Seriously big data and tech is scarier then most realize.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I just assume any piece of technology these days does something I don't want it to do, whether it's collecting data, tracking my whereabouts, recording my conversations, etc.

Sex robots? Does anyone in their right mind think that those won't have a recording device in them?

We just keep handing more and more civil liberties away like the stupid sheeple we've become.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:47 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
I didn't enjoy it, but if it helps keep drugs out of prison, I'm for it. I learned not to go back to prison, because bars and cavity searches are not something I'm fond of.
He wasn't talking about prison.
Quote:
I don't personally consider checking license plates giving up a liberty, since cops do this every time they pull up behind you at a stop light. Now if they put in some sort of tracing or tracking system and are following your movements, then I would have a problem with it for sure.
Which is wrong. Unless they witness you committing a crime, they have no reason to run your information. Meaning the only time they should run your information is after they have already pulled you over, or are in pursuit. The ONE exception is checking plates for being stolen, but that should be limited to a popup when the ALPR hits on one and only if it's actually been reported stolen. Maybe a minimum amount of information like where it was stolen from, and the owner's name, but nothing beyond the bare-minimum absolutely required.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:13 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
I have no front plate. Also, you can use the photo blocker spray or a cover if you're paranoid about it. But yah, these ALPR systems are usually accessible to the DHS "Fusion" centers...I don't know if they request them when needed or if they push data to them though - it probably depends on the jurisdiction and whether the program is federally funded.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:49 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This is kind of why its a complicated question. If you live in a city-even a small one, this is very very doable and abusable. Lets say you have a main strip, and you put in JUST a simple system. Designed by say...someone like me.

LITERALLY the cost could be under a million and I could drop in 120 systems mounted on the local poles. Weatherproof, and able to identify every car that goes by. All the data for ever single car that goes by. Speed estimates based upon motion vs the image, even some decent facial recognition. In a small city I could probably tell you where a car was 90% of the time. I could highlight when someones actions were out of the ordinary. Where people liked to eat, and I could probably correlate everyone you know based on who you visited.

Let me add in a software defined radio, and I will pull the phone emissions, and tell you EXACTLY where everyone is and went. If someone buys drugs, I could probably assign probabilities to their friends based on that. If you buy drugs, and someone else is in the car I could flag them and track them.

And much much more. And this is just the beginning. Given a large enough database you could flag potential criminals with a AI. Give people "criminal probability" scores that would be pretty good to be honest.

Big data is far scarier then people realize. And the amount of tech that can be used is massive. The ability to read cell phones ID has been demonstrated:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-cell...i-key-sniffer/

Paranoid? Want to know if you are being followed? Here you go. Just watch for persistent cell phones, or ones that reappear regularly. Especially useful if your a drug kingpin! Seriously big data and tech is scarier then most realize.
They can already do all of that. Most people leave their Location feature on their phone on all the time. Youre consistently being tracked as we speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies