Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 04:23 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It is amazing how the old 'to protect health and safety' excuse is thrown around so much, they want these red light cams for drivers and citizens safety...YEAH RIGHT, OK, who is going to honestly believe that?!

They uses this excuse for many different unjust laws, drug laws are a big one, they have everyone believing they are sooo concerned with public health and safety today, its really almost comical if it werent so pathetic.

The question is, why does this lame excuse work on so many people?

People are lead so easily and many never research these subjects or see the outcome until it is too late.

As a retired truck driver I have seen what happens when some areas of our Country have installed the red light cameras. It leads to more accidents and not fewer accidents. All you have to do is look at the tire marks on the pavement and glass and plastic on the sides of the road.

Speed cameras bother me because there are no guidelines. I am afraid that people will be repeat offenders long before they see the first ticket in the mail. With an officer you know you broke the law as they pull you over to write the ticket. Of course all motorist should always obey the speed limits; but we know it does not work that way. I am afraid that we could make criminals out of productive members of our society and they will not even see it coming.

I liked 'rbohm' from Arizona and their statement that the people of Arizona voted against these speed and red light cameras. I wished that my State and other states would place the issue on the ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Of course they can.
Not legally.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
That's one helluva endorsement for Statism if I do say so myself.

I would say that this country is only partially run by the state. The majority of this country is run by the corporations who keeps us slaves and the media who tells us what we want to hear.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
It is amazing how the old 'to protect health and safety' excuse is thrown around so much, they want these red light cams for drivers and citizens safety...YEAH RIGHT, OK, who is going to honestly believe that?!

They uses this excuse for many different unjust laws, drug laws are a big one, they have everyone believing they are sooo concerned with public health and safety today, its really almost comical if it werent so pathetic.

The question is, why does this lame excuse work on so many people?
I had a friend a few years ago who rode his bike everywhere around town. One night he was riding home and someone hit and killed him. There were no witnesses and no one has ever turned themselves in. This happened just out of reach of one of our highway traffic cameras (the ones that monitor flow and report accidents) and I would have gladly paid more taxes if it meant having one more camera up that happened to catch my friend's killer.

Come Clean For Jae

Old 10-04-2018, 10:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I had a friend a few years ago who rode his bike everywhere around town. One night he was riding home and someone hit and killed him. There were no witnesses and no one has ever turned themselves in. This happened just out of reach of one of our highway traffic cameras (the ones that monitor flow and report accidents) and I would have gladly paid more taxes if it meant having one more camera up that happened to catch my friend's killer.

Come Clean For Jae
Thats EXACTLY how they convince so many people to accept things like this...make it personal...relating to health or safety of friends and family...it would be fine if THAT was what it was used for, the problem is, they are also used in 'other' ways....ways that benefit govt/authority.

I will use drug laws as an example again...they claim its to protect public health and safety, and sure they are (to some degree), almost everyone knows someone who has been an addict, so controlling drugs IS a good idea....BUT drug laws can ALSO be used for other reasons, like controlling certain races, creating streams of revenue (law enforcement, cash and property seizures, prison industry, etc).

So you have to ask yourself, are they really concerned about my health and safety or are they just trying to fool me into accepting it.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Thats EXACTLY how they convince so many people to accept things like this...make it personal...relating to health or safety of friends and family...it would be fine if THAT was what it was used for, the problem is, they are also used in 'other' ways....ways that benefit govt/authority.

I will use drug laws as an example again...they claim its to protect public health and safety, and sure they are (to some degree), almost everyone knows someone who has been an addict, so controlling drugs IS a good idea....BUT drug laws can ALSO be used for other reasons, like controlling certain races, creating streams of revenue (law enforcement, cash and property seizures, prison industry, etc).

So you have to ask yourself, are they really concerned about my health and safety or are they just trying to fool me into accepting it.
The thread isn't about drug laws. It's about traffic cameras. Public recording happens everywhere. Gas stations, stop lights, ATM's, tops of bridges, everywhere. One or two more is not going to fracture society into a Statist Regime.

The cops still have to obey the law when obtaining footage (they can ask for it and it can be volunteered to them, but if not they still need warrants).

People scream for police accountability and body cams for all, but then scream that the Government is overreaching and they don't have any privacy... Which one is it du jour?

Old 10-04-2018, 10:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
How would you feel, if every time you drive through one of the 'safety' radar units in small towns and construction zones, that the DEA has installed license plate readers and is checking you out: https://qz.com/1400791/that-road-sig...lance-network/.

In that link they have concerns: “The technology is fairly simple, but as they start collecting more and more data and applying more and more algorithms to that, you can get information about people’s travel patterns, where their doctor’s office is, where they sleep at night, or put in the address of a place and see who visited it: an immigrant health clinic, a medical marijuana facility, or even a [marijuana] grow [operation] that would be completely legal under state law but illegal under federal law,” Maass said. “You could [link someone to] an abortion clinic, any number of sensitive locations.”

All of this collected data is linked to other agencies and it is really hard to tell what will happen in the future. There should be some concerns how far we will go at collecting information and what is the true purpose of that collection.
That type of technology is already being used to track gang members in my metropolitan area. I would not have known unless a friend who worked in local government had told me. Honestly, I have very mixed feelings about it.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:21 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Cameras are everywhere. They are also called mobile phones

Old 10-04-2018, 10:44 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That type of technology is already being used to track gang members in my metropolitan area. I would not have known unless a friend who worked in local government had told me. Honestly, I have very mixed feelings about it.

I understand that. This is a debate on how much is too much. I worry about a government that can fine without immediate notification. I also worry about who is in the shared loop of information our government collects. We are entering into new territories and the rules are still very murky. Large corporations seem to calling the shots right now; the public should be aware of the changes and capable of having the final say at the ballot box.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I understand that. This is a debate on how much is too much. I worry about a government that can fine without immediate notification. I also worry about who is in the shared loop of information our government collects. We are entering into new territories and the rules are still very murky. Large corporations seem to calling the shots right now; the public should be aware of the changes and capable of having the final say at the ballot box.

Here's a solid question: Would you rather have 1000 cops in your city wearing facial recognition body cameras that hold them accountable, or would you rather have 1000 traffic cameras that could potentially recognize your license plate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies