Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:44 AM

44,995 posts, read 26,148,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, gag me! Who really cares? Sam Walton drove a beat up pickup. The personal lives of these people are irrelevant.
Agree and the same goes for the amazon employee and health care worker

Quote:
It bugs the heck out of me that Bernie, et al seem to care not one whit about health care workers who take on a lot of responsibility for way less than $15/hr in many cases. All we hear about is Amazon workers, Walmart workers, fast food workers, retail workers.
A free market would level it out. Health care workers operate in a govt/insurance vacuum.
consumer need and supply should drive wages

Quote:
Perhaps you could tell us what these reasons are!
nothing wrong with workers organizing, but they shouldnt get to force their demands on employers with govt guns.
You went on strike and got fired/replaced? Sorry about your luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 09:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,459,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Workers overseas should organize but it is banned under communism.
Assume you are referring to China. If so, you are mistaken.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labo...tions_in_China

Many importers have abandoned China for cheaper labor markets, like Bangladesh, India, Vietnam and some Central American countries.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:20 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,931,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Assume you are referring to China. If so, you are mistaken.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labo...tions_in_China

Many importers have abandoned China for cheaper labor markets, like Bangladesh, India, Vietnam and some Central American countries.
There is only one trade union allowed and is government approved.
That is not worker organized and run.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:25 PM

29,851 posts, read 11,414,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Thats just silly. Kiosks have been around for a very long time, including in countries with much higher total compensation for McDonalds workers than in America.

This gleeful "the kiosks are coming, haha" response to every minimum wage increase shows a total lack of understanding of the issue at hand.

I fail to see why people have such hatred for the working class. Could it be that they are afraid that when workers at the bottom are lifted up, they feel their own relative status in society and their own happiness decreases, because their happiness depends on having a large group to look down upon?
The McDonalds near me shut down, leveled the old restaurant and built a new one with the kiosks front and center. Big expense for a small town McDonalds. I am sure it was designed not only for the kiosks but to eventually replace most of the currently needed staff. One or two people could likely handle the entire restaurant real soon.

I certainly do not look down on the working class. I have many working class friends. But they are not going to move up in the world by raising minimum wage. They need a real skill or education to do that. Because when minimum wage is $15 the people currently making $15 will demand $20 and so on. The working class will still be at the bottom of the food chain. And prices will rise with all these wage increases which will eat up any additional take home pay. Of course when automation comes in full force they will not have a job at all. Its going to happen either way but pushing up minimum wages speeds up the process.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:28 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,044,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Good for Amazon.
I think you misunderstand.

The Amazon facility here does not hire people at $15/hour.

$15/hour is the top-pay, where you max out after you've been working there for three years.

The starting pay is $10.75/hour. Your pay goes up after 90 days, then 180 days and then every year thereafter until you hit $15/hour.

Because of the low Cost-of-Living here, $10.75/hour is enough to buy a house, and $15/hour is the equivalent of $75,000 to $80,000 a year in other areas of the US. $15/hour wouldn't go far in those places, but it does here.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:07 PM

3,002 posts, read 2,252,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Agree and the same goes for the amazon employee and health care worker

A free market would level it out. Health care workers operate in a govt/insurance vacuum.
consumer need and supply should drive wages

nothing wrong with workers organizing, but they shouldnt get to force their demands on employers with govt guns.
You went on strike and got fired/replaced? Sorry about your luck.

So you think it is okay for workers to organize as long as none of their demands are forced on their employer? What would the point of organizing be then you can not have it both ways.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:17 PM

33,755 posts, read 16,757,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The McDonalds near me shut down, leveled the old restaurant and built a new one with the kiosks front and center. Big expense for a small town McDonalds. I am sure it was designed not only for the kiosks but to eventually replace most of the currently needed staff. One or two people could likely handle the entire restaurant real soon.

I certainly do not look down on the working class. I have many working class friends. But they are not going to move up in the world by raising minimum wage. They need a real skill or education to do that. Because when minimum wage is $15 the people currently making $15 will demand $20 and so on. The working class will still be at the bottom of the food chain. And prices will rise with all these wage increases which will eat up any additional take home pay. Of course when automation comes in full force they will not have a job at all. Its going to happen either way but pushing up minimum wages speeds up the process.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:19 PM

33,755 posts, read 16,757,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
So you think it is okay for workers to organize as long as none of their demands are forced on their employer? What would the point of organizing be then you can not have it both ways.

I do, too.

It should be free choice, if the businessman agrees with you, he hires you at your requested rate. If not, he does not hire you at that rate. You keep looking for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies