Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 11:25 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Oh right, you also believe having a drink with a man means she wants to have sex with him because why else would she have a drink with him?

I keep forgetting you are the guy who has no actual experience with women.
Good one

Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Geez, dude!
He kind of has a point though. And no don't bring up the "victim blaming" garbage in here...

Old 10-03-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Good one
Just the same way most women already judge a man by his attributes? Oh the irony!

Old 10-03-2018, 11:39 PM

Carry a pepper spray if you must, nobody is denying your right to defend yourself.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I do believe that women should know how to fight and carry a gun if they see fit to protect themselves. But IMO it is not a requirement. As a woman I've been a victim of various sorts of assaults in my life and I don't think that men understand what women endure in this regard.

I have a 10 year old daughter and I honestly worry about her because she's had such a nice upbringing - no abuse, no one doing anything negative to her and she didn't grow up in the era I grew up in where girls were taught to be VERY tough and know how to fight and kick people's a$$. I worry when she goes off to college something will happen to her so we are going to take Kung Fu together so she can learn how to kick a$$ and in the next couple of years, I'm going to teach her how to use a weapon.

FWIW my husband thinks I'm being ridiculous about this. IMO he is being naive. A girl needs to know how to protect herself. Unfortunately, often it doesn't matter if she does if someone can over power her or surprise her. But as a mother whose been in scary situations, I feel it is a duty of mine to teach her to speak up for herself and how to fight and how to use a weapon.
You’re not being ridiculous. I grew up in a bad area and lots of things happened to me and even worse stuff to some of my friends, but my kids have it soft.

We also got to roam the streets all day and sometimes at night with no supervision. Our parents never thought anything bad was out there because it was the ‘70s and they were kids in the ‘50s. A little self defense classes wouldn’t have been a bad idea. I want my kids to take self defense classes too.

Last edited by katygirl68; 10-04-2018 at 12:00 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineyards99 View Post
I never had a female friend tell me she was raped or sexually assaulted and I’m pretty sure some were. That’s not something you go around discussing because it is embarrassing and it is a very serious accusation

I don’t think you understand how degrading sexual assault is. It is humiliating and people don’t like to portrait themselves as victims.
Wow, now that's something. None of my friends ever told me they were raped or sexually assaulted, but I'm sure some of them were. Why is that? Because you've been trained over the years to believe every woman has at some point been sexually assaulted or mistreated by a man? You see, that's the sort of thinking that leads to broad statements like "She deserves to be believed!" and nonsense like that. When you are made to believe all women are victims, it's no wonder many women are so quick to jump in and support any woman who makes a claim at any point, because they've been trained to believe it has to be true! I hate to tell you, but "He deserves to be believed!" as well. And while we all know sexual assaults against women happen, we absolutely do not live in the so called "Rape Culture" wherein most men assault and take advantage of all women every chance they get without fear of reprisal.

So yeah, maybe there's a chance one of your friends had an encounter at some point that they didn't share with you. But you know what. There's just as much of a chance, if not more of a chance, that nothing like this ever happened to your friends. Because contrary to the current popular belief, most of us at least try to be gentlemen, and treat women with respect. Hell, I don't think men even have to think about it in those terms. We simply treat women as we would treat anyone else. Like a person, not a plaything.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The perpetrator needs to keep his damn hands to himself. He is responsible for his actions. Period. Don't tell me people can't "control" themselves. That's a lie.
I’m more concerned about the people who don’t want to control themselves.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Wow, now that's something. None of my friends ever told me they were raped or sexually assaulted, but I'm sure some of them were. Why is that? Because you've been trained over the years to believe every woman has at some point been sexually assaulted or mistreated by a man? You see, that's the sort of thinking that leads to broad statements like "She deserves to be believed!" and nonsense like that. When you are made to believe all women are victims, it's no wonder many women are so quick to jump in and support any woman who makes a claim at any point, because they've been trained to believe it has to be true! I hate to tell you, but "He deserves to be believed!" as well. And while we all know sexual assaults against women happen, we absolutely do not live in the so called "Rape Culture" wherein most men assault and take advantage of all women every chance they get without fear of reprisal.

So yeah, maybe there's a chance one of your friends had an encounter at some point that they didn't share with you. But you know what. There's just as much of a chance, if not more of a chance, that nothing like this ever happened to your friends. Because contrary to the current popular belief, most of us at least try to be gentlemen, and treat women with respect. Hell, I don't think men even have to think about it in those terms. We simply treat women as we would treat anyone else. Like a person, not a plaything.
Mind blown

Old 10-03-2018, 11:54 PM

Oh yeah, funny I have to endure a lot of isolation, bullying and harassment still myself, a variety of factors I will say and hardly do my mental disabilities play a role because people who aren't special needs say or do much worse ****, and yet nobody is polling an eye for me... Even when I tell authority they side unsurprisingly with the students, is one of the few reasons why I been held back in school through my life.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:11 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Women can do something stupid that increases the likelyhood of being raped/sexually assaulted. It doesn't mean the rapist is any less responsible, and should not be penalized to the max. But it may add to the sense of shame and embarrassment they feel.
It would be like someone flashing a large amount of cash at a bar late at night and then walking out back to smoke, and getting robbed. Or leaving your garage open at nightvand having something stolen. Thief is still 100 percent guilty of the crime. But the victim's stupid acts made it more likely to occur.

Last edited by Spottednikes; 10-04-2018 at 12:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies