Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 07:15 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
So you are one who assumes we always want it.
Not me I'm the one that assumes females only want to 5% or less of the time with a new male interest or prospect, so basically rarely to never.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You know what's so strange about all you women saying there's nothing you can do to reduce the risk of being sexually assaulted? I'm sure you do NOT want to know, but I'll tell you anyway. There are tons of articles on things women can do to better safeguard themselves against sexual assault. Note that I didn't write to eliminate any possibility of.

No one said that. We are saying that using the buddy system and all that stuff for parties and whatnot is fabulous, but it's a tiny % of how we get sexually assaulted. What is the list for the rest of our daily living activities?

All anyone wants to talk about is women getting black-out drunk at parties with no buddy and that is not how most sexual assaults occur.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Not me I'm the one that assumes females only want to 5% or less of the time with a new male interest or prospect, so basically rarely to never.
That directly contradicts your prior posts. You said we are essentially consenting to sex if we agree to have any 'private time' with a male.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
No one said that. We are saying that using the buddy system and all that stuff for parties and whatnot is fabulous, but it's a tiny % of how we get sexually assaulted. What is the list for the rest of our daily living activities?

All anyone wants to talk about is women getting black-out drunk at parties with no buddy and that is not how most sexual assaults occur.
You know how to click on a link and read an article don't you? I provided links. Click on them.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
When you, or anyone else, make general statements about an entire group of people, you are overreaching and misinformed. It can be harmful, ya know?
"An idea is always a generalization, and generalization is a property of thinking. To generalize means to think." - Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/455...alization-is-a

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Now, I think it logical to say that people YOU have known exhibit this or that, but not an entire group. It is flat wrong and flawed thinking.
As with every rule there are exceptions. But rules aren't made based on exceptions, they are made based on tendencies, patterns, etc.

Everything you think and everything you do is based on generalizations. You could not act if you could not generalize, because every detail cannot be known.

How do we end poverty? The only way to answer that question is to generalize. Because there are too many factors to consider.

How do we end crime? Again, you must generalize in order to answer. There an innumerable causes for crime.

What causes low IQ scores? How could you possibly answer without generalizing?

Even this thread is nothing but a generalization. And the people who have responded throughout it, have generalized about men, women, crime, rape, government, religion, culture, nature, etc.

There are some men who are basically asexual and are effectively incapable of rape. But so what? They are the exceptions. If you only made rules, or gave advice, based on the exceptions, you would give TERRIBLE advice. You give advice based on what is normal, common, etc.

So stop taking everything I say as a personal insult.

And when I say. "Have people become more respectful or less respectful over time"? I am not asking whether you feel like you have become more respectful over time. I am asking about society, people, everyone, the world, etc.

It is a generalized question and I am asking for a generalized answer. If we looked only at the exceptions, either we couldn't answer the question at all, or every answer would be correct. You can't think if you can answer every question with anything and still be correct.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 10-06-2018 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 08:08 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
No, that isn't true. That is not all that is being said in there. Burkas have been brought up. Burkas.

Those common sense things you are referring to are great, of course, we should do them, I do them. I was taught early to.

They are not fool proof is what some don't seem to understand and they only account for a fraction of our daily lives.
I agree. Both things can be true at the same time, you should protect yourself, reasonably, but that doesn't mean that you're in any way "responsible" if someone attacks you.

Quote:
Never have your windows open for air. That was actually said in one of these threads. We must stay home with no sunlight or fresh air. Even the curtains open in the day for sunlight with windows closed and locked was said to be a bad idea.

That is putting us in PRISON.
Again, that's also a good idea in general, for men and women. Prevent breaking and entering, robbery, etc. But it's not always possible, like in hot weather. Or, like you said, if you actually enjoy breathing fresh air.

I'm a woman. I say we should always take precautions to protect ourselves. You're not too bright if you don't. But that doesn't mean that if we do get attacked, it has anything to do with it being our fault. Not at all. Saying you should protect yourself isn't automatically victim-blaming/shaming.

There have been self-protection courses out there for women for ages. Are people saying the people running those courses are victim-blaming? No. They're just trying to help you protect yourself. For your own sake. Not because it's your job to protect yourself and otherwise it's your fault if you don't.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:11 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I agree. Both things can be true at the same time, you should protect yourself, reasonably, but that doesn't mean that you're in any way "responsible" if someone attacks you.

Again, that's also a good idea in general, for men and women. Prevent breaking and entering, robbery, etc. But it's not always possible, like in hot weather. Or, like you said, if you actually enjoy breathing fresh air.

I'm a woman. I say we should always take precautions to protect ourselves. You're not too bright if you don't. But that doesn't mean that if we do get attacked, it has anything to do with it being our fault. Not at all. Saying you should protect yourself isn't automatically victim-blaming/shaming.

There have been self-protection courses out there for women for ages. Are people saying the people running those courses are victim-blaming? No. They're just trying to help you protect yourself. For your own sake. Not because it's your job to protect yourself and otherwise it's your fault if you don't.
More common sense but the argument she and others keep giving is that taking such measures would only prevent a very small percentage of sexual assaults. As though that matters.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:15 PM

Well, here is the deal. No one is saying to men that they should never have fresh air or sunlight.

Regarding open windows, there could also be a home robbery/murder made a bit easier by the open windows. But no one says a man should not have fresh air.

Regarding open CURTAINS, mentioning that is even crazier. It goes back to if a male can SEE us, he might be tempted to break in and rape us.

That IS putting the RESPONSIBILITY on us. We have to HIDE. Insane.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
That directly contradicts your prior posts. You said we are essentially consenting to sex if we agree to have any 'private time' with a male.
No I was saying don't hang out alone in private with a male you don't even intend having any sexual relations if you want to maximize your safety and minimize problems.

Many women will say," I'll let you come over but we are not going to have sex.". But strangely that almost always means it will happen, so it's probably not a good idea to say that if you really mean it lol. Don't tell me females don't send mixed signals oftentimes.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
More common sense but the argument she and others keep giving is that taking such measures would only prevent a very small percentage of sexual assaults. As though that matters.
It does matter because those are the only ones everyone seems to talk about when that is not the way we usually get sexually assaulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies