Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 10:08 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I really feel the issue with this thread is the wording used - and it seems the thread title was intentionally crafted to get the end result it got.

Had the question been, 'Should women take any safety precautions to help minimize their risk of being assaulted in any way?' the response may have been different than it was.

Use the word duty, which makes it sound like women are in control in all situations and if something happens it's on them, and it changes things. Some of us are answering this based on our belief that the real question is the one I posed above, while others are answering it the way it was posed.

Other than a misogynist who is out to get attention with his outlandish posts, I think more of us would be in agreement had this not been worded so poorly.

Kudos to those of you who questioned the use of the word duty in the first place.
Sorry, but you can't paint a turd...

"Should women take any safety precautions to help minimize their risk of being assaulted in any way?"

This question is just as daft!

Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Sorry, but you can't paint a turd...

"Should women take any safety precautions to help minimize their risk of being assaulted in any way?"

This question is just as daft!
Filed under 'nobody needs to take any precautions to be safer.'

I'm sure you leave your laptop on the front seat of your car when you go somewhere, right?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Ignorance! Pure ignorance!!! The guilty party is the criminal but someone allowing themselves to be a victim shares some fault as well.

No different than those liberal idiots who biked/hiked through Islamic countries to prove they are peaceful...they all got violated and murdered...yeah they were stupid and shared the fault for their own demise.

If you saw an airplane was looking ill maintained but get on it anyway and it crashes, guess what? It was your own damn fault for being stupid even though the owner of the airplane will be criminally and civily liable.

Maybe this is all just advanced Darwinism though....you wanna be stupid....go right ahead...we'll all just laugh at your anecdotal story when told by the morning DJ's!
Not sure about "ignorance," but confusion reigns!

Problem I have with comments like yours is what boils down to this old version of her "asking for it" instead of him being guilty plain and simple. You think it is intelligent to explain danger to everyone, as if everyone doesn't have instinct to recognize and avoid danger, most of us anyway. The danger is not the issue and not anything that anyone with half a brain needs explained to them, insightful though you seem to think you are being.

The real issue is whether a woman should be expected to act or dress a certain way because there are sexual predators out there. Just asking the question is much as you are commenting, to shift the focus on what the woman chooses to do rather than focus on the REAL problem, the sexual deviate.

You also seem to focus on whatever stories give you more opportunity to be insulting, of liberals for example. I read a lot of ego, proud that you can recognize "the bear" while others get mauled by "the bear" instead. Stroke, stroke, stroke...

Old 10-10-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I worded it like that intentionally yes. The Kavanaugh case brought up a lot of the old assumptions about women, men, and what women "should" or "should not" do to somehow protect themselves from sexual assault, not taking into account some relevant facts, a big one being that women are often assaulted by their significant others, people whom they inherently trust. Being sexually assaulted is not the victim's fault. Does taking safety measures actually reduce the chances of getting assaulted by acquaintances or strangers? Maybe. Even if employing safety measures helps, do they have a "duty" to learn these methods and use them? No. Every adult has the responsibility to avoid violence, and sexual assault is a violent crime.
What you too don't seem to realize is the inherent contradiction in your comment...

If the question is what women "should" or "should not" do, and the answer is deemed important with respect to causes of sexual assault, then obviously what the woman does is deemed relevant in terms of what causes sexual assault. Right?

It goes well beyond whether the victim is at fault. Of course not! How is the question even to be taken seriously? Even worse, "a duty?" To do whatever? No sir.

Let's please not confuse stupidity with the issue -- problem -- of sexual assault for women. You want to focus on how people should be less stupid? Fine. There are more than a gazillion ways that people can be less stupid on about as many levels, about lots of things. You want to discuss the problem of sexual assault for women? Let's also not be stupid by focusing on what SHE does, as if somehow responsible for the assault. Wrong!

Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That doesn't make it common. There's not an endemic problem of men jumping out of the bushes to rape women, although it does happen. But it's usually a young attractive woman dressed in skimpy work out gear. It doesn't do anyone a service claiming rape is just men wanting power over any woman. There is usually a stimulus and sexual desire at play.
Are you fantasizing or have you any data to support these notions of yours?

Best I understand is that rape is usually caused by an acquaintance, and having little to do with whatever you might view as attractive. Many victims are young, vulnerable and taken advantage of, regardless the clothing. Sexual deviation such as this often involves a twisted need for control, to overpower, not having all that much to do with sexual desire. Different anyway. If you want to comment about something, learn something about it. There is more than enough written on this subject for you to consider...

"The assertion of power is most obvious in sexual assault and rape in which the perpetrator forcefully takes “possession” of his target. Again, this has nothing to do with sexual need. Men who have an active and varied sexual life at home still attack women. It is characteristic that, both in fantasy and action, they find it most exciting to use force in making their conquest."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...xual-predators

The Etiology of Sexual Offending Behavior and Sex Offender Typology: An Overview

Interesting to note, I think, when reading more professional material about this subject, how little there is about the relevance of what the woman is wearing or doing...

Old 10-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Filed under 'nobody needs to take any precautions to be safer.'

I'm sure you leave your laptop on the front seat of your car when you go somewhere, right?
Please...

We're not also going to endure another lesson about the do's and don'ts of being stupid in the context of this subject. Are we? If so, and if this is your thing too, can you please also explain to me whether I am wrong to leave my front door open while I sleep at night, with my car on the street unlocked and key in the ignition?

Do please also help me understand the answer to these very difficult questions.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:53 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Are you fantasizing or have you any data to support these notions of yours?

Best I understand is that rape is usually caused by an acquaintance, and having little to do with whatever you might view as attractive. Many victims are young, vulnerable and taken advantage of, regardless the clothing. Sexual deviation such as this often involves a twisted need for control, to overpower, not having all that much to do with sexual desire. Different anyway. If you want to comment about something, learn something about it. There is more than enough written on this subject for you to consider...

"The assertion of power is most obvious in sexual assault and rape in which the perpetrator forcefully takes “possession” of his target. Again, this has nothing to do with sexual need. Men who have an active and varied sexual life at home still attack women. It is characteristic that, both in fantasy and action, they find it most exciting to use force in making their conquest."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...xual-predators

The Etiology of Sexual Offending Behavior and Sex Offender Typology: An Overview

Interesting to note, I think, when reading more professional material about this subject, how little there is about the relevance of what the woman is wearing or doing...
I remember the case of a serial rapist, he was very prolific. He was a good looking physical therapist. He had a girlfriend, and he even raped her little sister. He didn't need to rape, plenty of women would have sex with him voluntarily. He simply enjoyed raping women. The Craigslist killer began as a rapist, and started killing his victims, he was an attractive med student with a pretty upper class girlfriend.

The idea that rapists are creepy weirdos is false. They don't fit any physical, or socioeconomic profile, they can be anyone. They can be good looking, wealthy, and have plenty of women after them. Men don't rape becuase they can't get sex any other way, they rape because they enjoy the power of taking a woman's control away and hurting her. There are men who enjoy being dominant but never rape. They will find a willing partner and ensure her boundaries are protected with a "safe word" and off limits activities. These men always ensure their partner has final control to stop. The rapist wants complete power and control over a woman.

The rapist does it specifically to hurt women, that turns them on but they don't do it because they need sex at that moment. Sometimes it's just opportunity arises, often they will plan out rapes. A great many rapsists have girlfriends or wives, and ready access to sexual partners. It's very damaging when people post blatently false information. It's also scary that so many rapists don't feel they are the problem. Even men who are convicted of keeping women chained up and repeatedly raping them will claim they did wasn't "real" rape.The good looking frat guy who drugs victims will never see himself as a "real" rapist. They don't see themselevs for the monsters they are.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:54 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Asked “if they had penetrated against their consent,” said Dr. Koss, the subject will say yes. Asked if he did “something like rape,” the answer is almost always no.[/i][/indent]
Then what would it be?

Old 10-10-2018, 12:31 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,360,590 times
Of course.

Hell, EVERYONE has a duty to protect themselves from any kind of physical assault, not just women.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:35 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I didn't agree either, but I read a Facebook post wherein a woman said she believed a woman had a duty to avoid excessive alcohol use and carry a gun to protect herself from rapists. And she has a grown daughter herself! Smh. Men should have enough self control to be able to resist violent impulses. I have a brilliant idea. Let's invent a robot sex doll brothel!
A FB post? Holy mackerel people. Just stop the madness already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies