Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 06:51 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times

Advertisements

Threads on this topic really only need to have 4 posts.

"Women should take common sense precautions to protect themselves from sexual assault"

"Yes they should but keep in mind that no amount of precautions can completely protect a woman and when she is sexually assaulted it is always the perpetrators fault. And most women already do take precautions."

"Of course, the perpetrator is always at fault and things can happen no matter how many precautions a woman takes. Still a good idea to take the precautions though."

"We agree then. Have a good day!"

Look at that. 4 posts, all bases covered, nobody accused of supporting rape or thinking women deserve to be raped, nobody accused of being a tramp.

This thread gets to 97 pages because people are enjoying the argument, not because there is any reasonable point of contention here.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:22 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It's not about me, but "people like" me. You're referring to me, but it's not about me. You're really not very good at this.
Of course I don't want to get in the way of the fun you two are having, but I've tried to follow along and distill what point either of you is trying to make. Not easy as the two of you devote so much time and energy with so many words trying to make sense out of what is all for the most part common sense. Right?

I do think there is something in the way of suggestion, that a woman is somehow responsible for being a victim of sexual assault, when instead of the crime and criminal getting the focus, we turn instead or as well to what the woman may have done in terms of dress or drinking or whatever. This is the problem/issue, much like the question posed by the OP that starts this thread.

As we become mature adults, no one really needs any lessons in the obvious ABCs of avoiding danger. Men and women all know the dangers and/or risks involved in whatever we may do (or not do) to avoid being a victim of a crime. You want to go on about prevention, for those who are perhaps interested or needing those lessons? Fine. Go ahead and explain how walking in dark alleys in dangerous parts of town are a bad idea. But is that really the issue with respect to how we should all handle accusations of sexual assault or rape once those crimes are committed? I don't think so...

To have a tendency to focus on prevention when it comes to the subject of sexual assault, is again to suggest -- more than suggest -- that a woman must accept some responsibility for sexual assault or rape if; she wears something inappropriate, drinks too much, missed the warning signs, was flirty, etc., etc.

Wrong.

The bottom line point is that we are confusing two subjects here that really should be considered separately and apart so as not to suggest a woman is in ANY way responsible for being a victim of sexual assault or rape. Begin asking the victim what she was wearing or drinking, and you are making that mistake!

Last edited by LearnMe; 10-24-2018 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-24-2018, 02:34 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Of course I don't want to get in the way of the fun you two are having, but I've tried to follow along and distill what point either of you is trying to make. Not easy as the two of you devote so much time and energy with so many words trying to make sense out of what is all for the most part common sense. Right?

I do think there is something in the way of suggestion, that a woman is somehow responsible for being a victim of sexual assault, when instead of the crime and criminal getting the focus, we turn instead or as well to what the woman may have done in terms of dress or drinking or whatever. This is the problem/issue, much like the question posed by the OP that starts this thread.

As we become mature adults, no one really needs any lessons in the obvious ABCs of avoiding danger. Men and women all know the dangers and/or risks involved in whatever we may do (or not do) to avoid being a victim of a crime. You want to go on about prevention, for those who are perhaps interested or needing those lessons? Fine. Go ahead and explain how walking in dark alleys in dangerous parts of town are a bad idea. But is that really the issue with respect to how we should all handle accusations of sexual assault or rape once those crimes are committed? I don't think so...

To have a tendency to focus on prevention when it comes to the subject of sexual assault, is again to suggest -- more than suggest -- that a woman must accept some responsibility for sexual assault or rape if; she wears something inappropriate, drinks too much, missed the warning signs, was flirty, etc., etc.

Wrong.

The bottom line point is that we are confusing two subjects here that really should be considered separately and apart so as not to suggest a woman is in ANY way responsible for being a victim of sexual assault or rape. Begin asking the victim what she was wearing or drinking, and you are making that mistake!
Read my first post on this thread.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Omega feminist females make a lot of false claims. Btw, are you insinuating something false about me .
I am far from an Omega female. I am the type of female that omega men resent and hate for no reason other than I do not want them. And they feel that they are 'owed'. I'm not insinuating anything, but if the shoe fits,,,,,.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
1. Stop accepting free alcohol and dinners from men you aren't in a relationship with. Instead, pay for your own drinks and food.

2. Victims should accept at least partial responsibility for the bad situations that they find themselves in. And they should be okay with that. Everyone makes poor judgment calls during their lifetime. There is no one that lives a perfect life.
I don't accept anything from men I am not interested in, as I feel it is rude and misleading, but it's very interesting you think that comment has anything to do with the topic, which is rape.

So if I did allow some omega male to buy my drinks, I'd be getting what I deserved if he raped me? Did he just buy ME with the drinks, or is this about the rage of being an omega male that is neither attractive nor useful to desirable women as you mentioned in another post?

Men can also take responsibility and not buy women things unless they are sure that interest is returned. You keep putting everything on the female.

I was friends with a guy who had loads of money and I was like STOP taking first dates to $300 dinners! Weed out women who are after your money. Take them to someplace nice, sure, but not like that. Save that sort of thing for a woman you are really into and is really into YOU.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:54 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,215 times
Default Doodies

Does a human being have a natural self-preservation instinct?

Old 10-24-2018, 04:01 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Rape covers many different scenarios. It's not all about power. And my impression from men who are from a machismo culture is that they are mistakenly under the impression that if they can just begin the sexual intercourse process, the woman would feel so much pleasure from their giant penis inside of her that she would change her mind and become very enthusiastic about the process.

Anyway, if the whole point of this thread is to prevent future rapes, then yes, women have to be the ones to be pro-active and not put themselves in situations where they are vulnerable to being raped. And they should also take self-defense courses also.

All the laws and #METOO shaming will never prevent future rapes. And IMO another problem with preventing future rapes is all this liberal nonsense of our country needing more diversity. Having so much diversity hinders a community from coming together and forming strong enough friendship bonds where everyone looks out for each other's well-being. Too much diversity is making our neighborhoods divided and the men not respectful or considerate of all the women they encounter.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:10 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Threads on this topic really only need to have 4 posts.

"Women should take common sense precautions to protect themselves from sexual assault"

"Yes they should but keep in mind that no amount of precautions can completely protect a woman and when she is sexually assaulted it is always the perpetrators fault. And most women already do take precautions."

"Of course, the perpetrator is always at fault and things can happen no matter how many precautions a woman takes. Still a good idea to take the precautions though."

"We agree then. Have a good day!"

Look at that. 4 posts, all bases covered, nobody accused of supporting rape or thinking women deserve to be raped, nobody accused of being a tramp.

This thread gets to 97 pages because people are enjoying the argument, not because there is any reasonable point of contention here.
Actually, #1 is still debatable. What are "common sense" precautions? Do they even help? Maybe a woman should just use common sense precautions to protect her overall safety.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:12 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Yeah, no. And why is "rape" in quotes? Rape has a meaning. I have gone out drinking or stayed in drinking with a lot a lot of men and none of them raped me. I had ONE wine cooler at a party with my attempted rapist. Did that wine cooler make the attempted forcible rape my fault? What if I had two? How many makes him pinning me down and trying to forcible rape me my fault?

He wasn't a sexually frustrated omega male either. He was a popular jock in HS who could have pretty much any girl he wanted. Rape is about power either way, not sex.
Looks to me Miu was implying that some of these rapes aren't actually rape.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Rape covers many different scenarios. It's not all about power. And my impression from men who are from a machismo culture is that they are mistakenly under the impression that if they can just begin the sexual intercourse process, the woman would feel so much pleasure from their giant penis inside of her that she would change her mind and become very enthusiastic about the process.

Anyway, if the whole point of this thread is to prevent future rapes, then yes, women have to be the ones to be pro-active and not put themselves in situations where they are vulnerable to being raped. And they should also take self-defense courses also.

All the laws and #METOO shaming will never prevent future rapes. And IMO another problem with preventing future rapes is all this liberal nonsense of our country needing more diversity. Having so much diversity hinders a community from coming together and forming strong enough friendship bonds where everyone looks out for each other's well-being. Too much diversity is making our neighborhoods divided and the men not respectful or considerate of all the women they encounter.
I don't agree with that. Men are seeing now that there are consequences. They saw Weinstien and other's lives go POOF. The culture of covering up and protecting abusers is changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies