Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be done about alcohol & sexual assault?
Go back to full prohibition 2 6.90%
Adopt moderate restrictions, such as drinking only at 'safe drink sites.' 1 3.45%
Just clamp down and eliminate underage drinking, and perhaps raise the drinking age. 1 3.45%
Keep the status quo; it's fine as it is. 25 86.21%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 24 days ago)

27,636 posts, read 16,120,970 times

Advertisements

Pop culture sells booze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 02:24 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...anaugh/571042/

After reading this powerful piece about a date rape unearthed in the wake of the Kavanaugh hearings, I had an epiphany. The rapist in this case was a drunken man who didn't even remember doing it. Thirty years later, all he could say was "I'm so sorry."

Just as in the Kavanaugh case, the key element was alcohol. Is it not time to reconsider the repeal of alcohol prohibition? If you read the piece you can see that the rapist was basically a good man. It would seem that any given male is just a few beers away from being a sex predator.

We would not have to go back to full prohibition, which was regarded as a failure. Here in the Seattle area we are in the process of creating 'safe injection sites' where drug addicts can shoot up under supervision. We could do something similar with alcohol. Sales and use could be restricted to 'safe drinking sites.'

A big reason for the passage of the Volstead Act and 18th Amendment was the damage being done to women by alcohol consumption of the males in their lives. Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, progressives and early feminists, were both major proponents of prohibition. Now 100 years later, we can see that they had a point.
I think it is just plain sad that in the 21st century we have people that still think this way.

I am allowed to make such a statement because I'm older than dirt.

Actually, the safe injection sites you are referring to are "Harm Reduction" sites, meant specifically to provide relief from the harm being caused by prohibition!@! They would not be needed if drug users were not being fed as fodder into the criminal justice system, where they come out in worse shape than when they went in.

And now some people want to create the same damage and chaos through alcohol prohibition??? Unbelievable.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:46 PM

19,615 posts, read 12,212,859 times
BS he forgot. He remembered, he just wanted a way out and was afraid she was going to name him. He called her quickly because he was terrified and got her to promise not to name him because he's "sorry", and the alcohol did it.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:57 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,928,283 times
Quote:

After reading this powerful piece about a date rape unearthed in the wake of the Kavanaugh hearings, I had an epiphany. The rapist in this case was a drunken man who didn't even remember doing it. Thirty years later, all he could say was "I'm so sorry."

Just as in the Kavanaugh case, the key element was alcohol. Is it not time to reconsider the repeal of alcohol prohibition? If you read the piece you can see that the rapist was basically a good man. It would seem that any given male is just a few beers away from being a sex predator.

We would not have to go back to full prohibition, which was regarded as a failure. Here in the Seattle area we are in the process of creating 'safe injection sites' where drug addicts can shoot up under supervision. We could do something similar with alcohol. Sales and use could be restricted to 'safe drinking sites.'

A big reason for the passage of the Volstead Act and 18th Amendment was the damage being done to women by alcohol consumption of the males in their lives. Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, progressives and early feminists, were both major proponents of prohibition. Now 100 years later, we can see that they had a point.
That is similar to the gun debate - do you take away guns from everybody because a few people use them to kill? No, but maybe you need a permit to buy a gun (or alcohol?) that can be taken away if you show a tendency toward violent crime.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:58 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
That is similar to the gun debate - do you take away guns from everybody because a few people use them to kill? No, but maybe you need a permit to buy a gun (or alcohol?) that can be taken away if you show a tendency toward violent crime.
But, if you think the lack of said permit would in any way prevent anyone who wants alcohol from obtaining it, then you are deluding yourself.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:25 PM

18,720 posts, read 7,601,368 times
Quote:
Is it not time to reconsider the repeal of alcohol prohibition?
Interesting point.

I guess we just don't have enough organized crime in this country, and we need more.

Prohibition was what got it started, jacking prices of illicit liquor way up and making it so that only criminals could bring it in. Later it morphed into drug cartels and govt gun control.

I'm with you. Let's do it again!

Old 10-04-2018, 04:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Alcohol consumption went up during prohibition. Is that what you want?

roadking is right. and in addition to that, there were plenty of millionaires made during prohibition running booze into and through out the country. and often times, for a cut of the profits, the cops often times looked the other way, or actively helped the rum runners.

and if you want to try and repeal the 21st amendment, you are going to have one heck of an expensive fight on your hands with all the alcohol producers in this country alone, not to mention mexico, canada, the carribean, etc. talk about money coming in from overseas, those and many other countries make money off the US when it comes to alcohol. want to see REAL election meddling?

one more thing about prohibition, there were a lot of people making bathtub gin, and the quality wasnt very good on many of them. some were cut with formaldehyde, and thus we got many of the cocktails we know today so mask the taste of the poor alcohol.

Last edited by rbohm; 10-04-2018 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 05:05 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Perhaps the real issue is that parents need to do a better job raising sons. And society should re-evaluate its sexual standards.
Raise better sons, like Malcolm Alexander, so that they don't get falsely accused of rape?

Old 10-04-2018, 05:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
If alcohol prohibition is put back in place, maybe America can shoot for a full 50%+ incarceration rate. I would start buying stock in America's prisons-for-profit now!

Old 10-04-2018, 06:25 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
I heard it said several places that the drinking age then was 18. This meant that seniors in high school were able to buy beer legally and then distribute it to younger friends. I'm betting that is how Kavanaugh and his buddies were able to acquire beer.

And BTW, for those on the right, do you know who imposed the national drinking age of 21? That's right, it was President Ronald Reagan, and more specifically, Elizabeth Dole who was his transportation secretary.
I think that this law had some serious unintended (I hope) consequences. For one, the number of arrests for status-related offenses of adults who were suddenly only quasi-adults. I still have a serious problem with that. The other factor is that parents no longer took the responsibility to ensure that their underage children learned directly about the effects of alcohol while they were still at home under their parents' tutelage.

I think that prohibition is 180 degrees the wrong way to go. And if we really wanted to deal with our prison population, we could reduce it a bit right away by allowing 18-year-olds to be full adults once more.

Last edited by lhpartridge; 10-04-2018 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies